Matt Molloy interviewed

Re: Matt Molloy interviewed

There is not nor will be a better interview of MM. 90 minutes of sheer delight. I owe all to his influence and inspiration, for which I bow low.

Thank you for posting this. Made my day.

Posted by .

So interesting and inspiring.
Beyond the honors, awards and albums…the role of music in his life. Speaking of past friends, and then all the feeling and sadness in the tune he played…going through hard times, how music helps you to get through…I know this has been so true for me.
And I am inspired by what he said about “finding the shape” of each tune.

Yes and I also loved his remark about playing during tough times. He called it passing through a portal that brings you to where you need to be. I’ll remember “Passing through a portal” as long as I live.

Posted by .

Thanks for posting that, it was fantastic.

Not having heard Matt interviewed, I didn’t know he was so eloquent. There are so many perspectives it will take time to unpack them all.

So powerful the way the interview drew to a close, coming from huge concerts and world tours and conversing with a space station as it orbited above, to a man dealing with loss and grief closing the door and playing alone and experiencing the catharsis and soul-cleansing of being at one with the music.

We were very privileged to have had Matt Molloy in Ballyvourney for the 2022 Cruinniú. He’s an absolute gent.

The interview is breathtakingly open and honest, reflecting over one of the stellar careers in ITM spanning seven decades.

As soon as he starts to blow the flute there is magic in the air. He will never be surpassed.

Glad you guys enjoyed. I think Paul McGrattan was the right man to do this interview. And great that Matt was so sharing of his life experiences. Huge credit to ITMA too - they are doing super work.

Posted by .

One of the first tune sets I learned (Rolling in the Ryegrass/The Killavil) was played by Paul McGratten recorded in that same back room of Matt’s Pub for the album “Music at Matt Molloy’s”. In the interview, Matt relates how the mics for that album were hung from the ceiling in order to eliminate the intimidation factor, and that the gathering of some of the great players turned into a roaring session rather than a recording gig. So it was great the have the two of them back in that place, recounting the decades of the contributions that Matt has provided to the music, and especially the high standard of playing for us struggling flute players the world over.

Posted by .

Matt: “and flutes would have to be…the toughest of any of the instruments…”

Ah well, I’m feeling better now….

Matt’s account of how he started fits what seems a classic historical pattern, playing with the school marching band, and his father having brought back a flute from America.

And of course the Clarke’s whistle in C. As we all did. My thumbs can still feel the irritation of the seam-soldered ridge down the back. My lip can still feel the sharp edges of the thin tin, and the coarse hairy end-grain of the cruelly imprisoned block. My ears cringe at the unstable octave jumps produced by the crudely dimpled ramp. And they still make them!

Terry I will say that one of the finest whistles I’ve ever played was an old Clarke C.

My original mentor, back in the late 1970s, had taken an old Clark and spent quite a bit of time (and skill) modifying the windway and the blade. Micho Russell had played it and spoke highly of it.

My mentor loaned me that whistle for a week so that I could attempt to replicate what he had done, under the solemn promise that I not muck with his!!

I spent hours analysing the exact height, width, and shape of the windway and ditto with the blade.

It was a matter of making a tiny change on my own Clarke, comparing my whistle to his both visually and tonally, then adjusting again and again.

Finally I had a whistle that was 90% there, but that last 10% remained elusive.

That’s the massive advantage the Clark has over most whistles: it can be almost infinitely adjusted by the owner.

At 58:00 following a discussion on Tommy Potts two tunes are mentioned by Paul McCrattan: The Loom and The Weaver.
The Loom must be this one (clearly a Tommy Potts tune):
https://thesession.org/tunes/11953 The Loom by Tommie Potts
with a great performance here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPG_dZ7YK5w

However, is this jig the Weaver mentioned (or is Paul referring to the slide Bill the Weaver’s or some other tune?)
https://thesession.org/tunes/14046
This tune has a pretty straight-forward yet intriguing melody line - but I haven’t heard it played at sessions (yet)…