Tune comments

Tune comments

People who post tunes without making a single comment should be forced to listen to 1000 verses of the Wild Rover. Discuss.

Re: Tune comments

I think it’s optional. Not everyone shares your obsession to see their thoughts in writing, Dow.

Hahaha, pots and kettles!

Whilst always to the people who take the trouble to post tunes, I think it’s a lost opportunity for learning when comments aren’t provided.

As a beginner with a next-to-zip CD budget and similar freedom to go sessioneering, I like to read how people ornament and vary tunes and what other tunes they put them with in sets. (I think Jeremy makes a point of suggesting that people comment on those two things.)

It’s also interesting to read what it is about a tune that motivates the poster to post it. Combined with what you know of that person’s leanings in tunes, it can help flesh out the bare bones of the dots and indicate where a tune sits in the ITM spectrum. (As can the non-posters’ responses, combined with what you know of their tune tastes!).

As for the penalty … I think being lashed to a ringside seat in the Jack’n’Dow Duel-To-The-Death Concertina Knockout Comp would be more appropriate.

Posted by .

"Whilst always thankful to", of course.

Posted by .

Only, be ready to move away quickly when Jack gets hurled out of the ring with one deft flick of my bellows πŸ™‚

Concertina Slam Down hahahaha We could flock my beard white and I’ll be the "Great Yetti of the North" and Dow can be the "Plunder from Down Under" in Dundee attire complete with straw hat and corks dangling all around.

Er, damn. This is in the works, actually. You’ll never believe who the judges are. Oh wait, it’s supposed to be a surprise.

Posted by .

Straw hat and corks dangling all around and *that* accent. Hmmm. Real convincing :-p

Posted by .

What *accent*? You’re the one with the accent, Tish.

Yeah, me *and* everyone else in the pub πŸ˜‰

Posted by .

You and all those Irish backpackers πŸ™‚

Actually Dow, I would have thought that with all that extra bounce, Jack’d probably end up bounding right out of the ring anyway, completely unassisted.

Awww, c’mon Q - out with it. Who are the judges gunna be? And what do you think about tune comments?

Posted by .

Tish and Dow - ‘pipe’ down.
You are getting so loud with your argument I could hear you on the other side of the continent.
I kinda agree with Dow about the tune comments - they are really important and probably we should proportionately be having twice as much discussion postings in the Tune section and half as much in the discussion section - please discuss in no less than 50 words.

Tish, are you an Irish Backpacker? Or do you just sound like one? What does an Irish backpacker sound like?
On second thoughts Tish is No: 4882 - so been around forever.

I’m talking specifically about comments from the actual poster of the tune. It’s like, even if nobody else comments and the tune disappears into the bowels of the database never to be looked at again, there should at *least* be a comment from the submitter.

I’ve never dared tell anyone about this before, but I have a very curious reaction to seeing empty tune comments sections. My skin suddenly turns green, and, as my body expands and becomes muscular, my shirt rips and the buttons pop off. I then let out an almighty roar, picking up my keyboard and ramming it into my monitor screen, smashing it into a million pieces. I have absolutely no control whatsoever over this extreme emotional reaction, so please could people start posting comments on their submissions? I’ve been through *so* many monitor screens and I’m fed up to the back teeth.

Oh, hello Donough! That’s better, the afternoon shift is up to full complement now 8>)

(Back on topic, I don’t get time at home to plough through all the new tunes but can sneak a peek at the comments during the day and have picked up some great tunes on the basis of comments made by people whose recommendations I think are worth following up.)

Posted by .

And you know what’s even worse, when someone cut & pastes the abc from Henrik Norbeck’s site onto thesession.org and then doesn’t even comment on it, or they *do* comment on it and they say something like "I don’t play this version - I got this one from Henrik Norbeck’s site". It’s like: DUH?!

No Donough, I’m Australian. But there seem to be a lot of Irish backpackers at the pub where the Sunday session is held. So many that the local nursing agencies reckon it’s worthwhile putting ads aimed at travelling Irish nurses in the ladies’ room, anyway.

Posted by .

And before anyone whinges "but in a real session you don’t have to comment on a tune you’ve just played".

DUH?!

In case you hadn’t noticed, this isn’t a real session.

Tish aren’t you listening to my moaning today?

I feel better now. Thanks everyone for not listening πŸ™‚

I *have* been told, though, that I sound like I come from the country … whatever that means ?😏

Are you looking for anything in particular from tune posters, Dow? Can you isolate the exact trigger for these shirt-tearing, gear-smashing episodes?

Posted by .

Yes, I’m listening, really I am - see post above. We just haven’t got our biorhythms in sync today and we keep posting at the same time.

Posted by .

When I set out to learn a tune, I want to know everything there is to know about it. I’m with Dow - there should be some kind of penalty for hit ‘n run tune-dropping.

Posted by .

All I ask is for one tiny leetle sentence at least; just one - even that would do. Stating the source would be the most obvious and important thing considering that all this stuff stays on the net as a resource (and even historical snapshot) for like, ever. But maybe that’s just too much of me to ask. ::Rolls eyes melodramatically::

Aha! Maybe that’s how Q’s getting the judges for the anglo-tina showdown (mhwuhahahaha)

Posted by .

::listening carefully to dow now::

Posted by .

I seriously think that the act of not commenting on your own tune submission should be punished. If you don’t comment within a certain specified time period after submission, your tune gets wiped and you’re not allowed to submit again for a month or something. I view it just like Q - as a "hit ‘n’ run". It leaves bewildered tune browsers calling into the darkness "please tell us something about your tune… where did you get it from?", but the offender is long gone. Dropped his/her poopoo from a great height onto thesession.org and then skidaddled quicker than you can say "anglo players are sad".

There should be two levels of punishment - Level 1 for the null comment and Level 2 for the useless comment.

Like, I just looks up a certain tune submitted by a certain person and the only comment provided is, "Written by me". Now, what useful information does *that* convey about a tune? Eh? Eh??

Posted by .

Well, it does convey a bit of information, I suppose. But not as much as it could.

(folds arms and scowls)

Posted by .

Yeah, like, DUH?! How useless is that!

Who was that then? πŸ™‚

And there should be a panel of judges that awards points for anecdotal excellence. And I know who they should be!

Tish, I’ve just sent you a P.M.

Posted by .

Tish I only did that 3 times, and at least "written by me" at least tells you one snippet of information πŸ™‚

Haha, you got it, Dow!

https://thesession.org/tunes/2710

Righteo, Q, I’ll check for that ASAP, clocking off for now though, apparently half a liquidamber fell on my house today in the wild west winds we’re having, so I gotta go see about that. (Scared heck outta the neighbours, not much obvious damage but it’ll need chainsaws to remove the corpse, they tell me!)

Posted by .

Maybe Jeremy should add a ratings system to each tune… like that ‘Hot or Not’ voting thing for people who post their portraits online.

‘Craic or Cack’, possibly?

Or - Rate this tune:
1- Sh!te
2- Dire
3- Dag
4- The good stuff
5- The dag’s bollox

Posted by .

God I hate it when get dragged away from good live threads by work. It really isn’t fair - I’m having a real bad day today. I’ll just go home soon and play some chewnes.
How about a punishment for no-liners who post tunes without any comments: A Virus that makes the computer incessantly play a midi version of Danny Boy on your computer when you log on to the Session. I know this one would bring me into submission.
Ratings are a great idea.
I’m also curious how people can download a tune to their tune book in droves and yet not have anything to say about the tune.
Another thought seeing as Q, Tish and Dow are about: Perth is in the middle between you all so why not have The Physical Session (re)union in Perth.β™«β˜Ί

Eh? Why not. I’ll just nip over after work… ah, damnit! My faster-than-light scooter is low on uranium. Maybe next millennium πŸ™‚

Although I don’t see why we shouldn’t have an annual TheSession fest or summat, on a different continent every year. A week of sessions, some workshops maybe, lots of drinking, fights etc. A bit ambitious though… maybe we should wait until we get the Mighty Craic album sorted.

Posted by .

Mighty Craic?! You’re optimistic. The only session.org people who’ll be around to hear that will be the people on the "Hi I’m a teenager, how old are you" thread.

heh. though maybe it’s not such a bad thing that it’s been lost in the mists. I listened to my track the other day and actually blushed at the thought that other people may one day hear it…

Posted by .

I was secretly glad too, I have to say πŸ™‚

Couldn’t everyone post their mps’s somewhere on the web and put a link to the site in their bio. Then we wouldn’t have to wait for the Session-Craic-CD.

And if the Mp3 gets too embarassing you could just change it.

Hmm… not the worst plan in the world. Okay, I’m in.

Posted by .

That would make sense, but where?

Well, I can host a couple on my site; but I guess it should be up to each individual to find a place to squirrel a couple of mb away.

Posted by .

You’ll find I inserted my bit of musical wind (Carolan’s Draught) into the Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar website and the link from my bio will connect with this - I think. Anyway it’s had over 100 hits already; too many bored people out there.
There may be some other Sessionistas who have some spare bandwidth that can offer to host a few mp3’s for others.

Someone (ballymack) has gone and started another discussion thread to distract from this one - what a nerve. Are the Americans waking up or what, at this time of day.
Anyway I’m off home shortly so will sign off until we see if anyone else bites on this idea.
Which one was that - Ive forgotten already???

I cast my vote for Dow’s position. People should say something. I might want to know if the tune I’m looking at is common, rare, in the middle, or original, at least. Suppose I want to learn a new tune, but I want it to be one people might know, so when I finally get an evening off to go to a session, I can play it with people. One problem with learning tunes off recordings is that you end up being the only one who knows them at any given session.

Late to this post, sorry. But it doesn’t take more than a few seconds surely to add a comment or two.

Having said that, I’ve only just posted my first tune. Posting the comments was the easy bit….getting the ABC organised right was the most difficult.

Sue

I think some comments would be most helpful, particularly something about history, origin, source and such, if this is known by the person submitting the tune. When we play tunes, the listeners often enjoy hearing tidbits about the tunes. Having that sort of information on this site with the tune saves hunting around the internet for it.

I kind of get just a LITTLE ::makes hand gesture:: upset, I’d like to know SOMETHING about a tune when I look it up!!!

Cheers,
Armand

How rude! Armand, that hand gesture belongs in the schoolyard, not here πŸ™‚