What’s YOUR favorite key to play in?

What’s YOUR favorite key to play in?

I absolutely LOVE E minor. Ah. There, I said it!

E minor everything, baby!

Cheers and homework,
Armand

Re: What’s YOUR favorite key to play in?

Definately Dorian and Aeolian modes. I have a soft spot for Amodal/minor especially. But there’s also nothing like playing in a key I haven’t been in for awhile. That is one thing I like about Scottish dance band work - huge variety of keys over the evening.
I do sometimes enjoy the thing of playing G tunes in F, too. Tried that with Boys of Ballysodare (the slip jig) last night. It was rare!

Posted by .

I’ve done that before with An Buachaill Caol Dubh/The Dark Slender Boy, if you play it in F it sounds soo… DAAAAARK… Fitting for the season! ^_^

Cheers and off to Jimmy’s,
Armand

F & Bb

because they suit my guitar well and does not get played very often……

Why don’t people look up to see if this queationhas been asked befor? No wonder I get reputation for repeating myselfe

Posted .

For session playing you’re normally constrained by the consensus keys for the tunes - for example Connachtman’s Rambles is normally in "D", Kesh is normally in "G", etc unless you don’t mind being anti social and play them in E flat or A flat respectively. On the other hand there are tunes in keys which sound more traditional (Garret Barry’s jig, Pipe on the Hob, Banish Misfortune, Jenny Picking Cockles are examples) which is probably what Armand had in mind and I’d have to agree with him if that is the case.

Ah, so much for originality ~_~

Oh well, e minor rocks!

All fiddle players seem to love minor keys, especially Em/Edor. I’m not a great fan. Those Em tunes all sound the bloody same to me. I like mixolydian tunes, me.

I like to play in the Florida Keys.

Posted by .

I kind of like A minor myself. Or any minor key for that matter.

Eliot:

I would rather play the Channel Islands than the Florida Keys.

-dogma

For slow tunes, Gmin or Ddor.
For fast G and A (even on the flute!—keys are great)

Posted by .

A
B Flat
C
D Minor
E
F
F# Minor
and G Minor

D or G- guess which instrument ;-0

Posted by .

I like G minor the best - it’s nice sounding and easy to play in this key.

Posted by .

B MINOR

Posted by .

DEbF#GABbCD
Modified Phrygian I was told.
Nine Points of Roguery goes really well in this….

I learned that phrygian-with-maj3 as an Arabic scale. Never used it for ITM meself but I did write a "flamenco saxophone" solo in it once … I hasten to add that I do not now play and have never in the past played the saxophone.

I’m going to disappoint Dow and say minor keys, Em/Edor and all that stuff. Never was fond of the major keys and modes - as a sweeping generalisation, major seems to lack emotional depth / interest to me and is too straightforward and unambiguous - though the tunes that alternate Cs and C sharps and that sort of thing are growing on me.

Posted by .

Em/Edor boring boring boring all you fiddlers are the same. Backing’s a right boring job when you lot are around.

lol Sorry…another one for E minor/E dorian…it just sounds great on whistle!

Never ask that question again !
And if you’re in a pub, never bring up a topic that’s being discussed before !
And if you’re at a session, make sure you never play a tune that’s ever being played before, or never ask for a drink that’s being asked before.
When will you guys learn !
Sheesh !

Posted by .

Of course, Dmix.

"major keys lack emotional depth". It looks like the only character who could agree with that is Nigel Tufnel himself

Posted .

Duh? Key? Is that like this allen key I use to make sure my bodhran don’t sound like a cardboard box?

K.

No particular preference for the fiddle as long as there is at least one open string available - as there should be for Irish fiddle music - so I’m afraid that excludes Dbmaj and Gbmaj for starters :-)

Trevor (15:50 hrs GMT+1)

Em and Bm I suppose,but well,not really.Just a lot of the tunes I like are in those keys.A lot are in G too.

Well, duh, it depends on what whistle i’m playing. But for some reason I’ve always liked Bb major…

Haven’t a clue why…

If i’m playing my flute I don’t particulary care, since it’s chromatic

I agree with Dow…we fiddlers do tend to like the darker, mysterious minor keys. However, G and Em make for lots of string crosssing, so I find D and Bm are easier.

I’ve been visiting some tunes to help half position such as F, Am etc. I’m getting better…slowly!

Sue

Depends on the tune type, I like dark keys for most things but I like Amaj for a lot of things. The Cacodemon is one of my fave tunes at the moment, it is not really in an particular key

For some reason I rather like Dmin and F#min… Any minor key is pretty good, really. ^^

"Em/Edor boring boring boring all you fiddlers are the same. Backing’s a right boring job when you lot are around." I see the Dow Groans Index has gone up 10% overnight.

I have no idea who Nigel Tufnel is, I’m afraid, Michael. Maybe it’s just the tunes I’ve been playing but in this particular context I simply don’t find that the major tunes have the level of interest that the non-major ones do. Not saying I don’t like ‘em, but they just generally don’t grab me as much. Perhaps I’m just not naturally a bright and jolly soul.

Posted by .

Minor keys have more harmonic variety in them than major keys, and this is probably a big part of the reason, as Michael says, why they have more emotional content. In other words, you can do more with them, both melodically and harmonically (i.e. the backing).

Having said that, there is still a big market for good tunes in major keys to provide additional choice for the consumer. Get them at your local supermarket today!

Trevor (0100 hrs GMT+1)

Trev, I thought Michael was disagreeing, but maybe I got it upside down because I don’t know who Nigel Tufnel is …

Posted by .

Thanks, greenwiggle. I still don’t get it, though!

Posted by .

Tish, "Spinal Tap" in Greenwiggle’s post was, if I remember correctly, a fictitious rock band invented for a spoof documentary (or perhaps drama) on British TV many years ago.
Perhaps someone with a better memory for it can give more details.
Trevor

Bb major, E major and all minor keys except E minor and B minor ……. just to piss the melodion and guitar players off.

You really are an uncultured lot. It was Nigel Tufnel who said "Dmin was the saddest of all keys". He was refering to a tune he wrote called "Lick My Love Pump". I’d be grateful if someone could post the abc.

Posted .

Are Spinal Tap part of the tradition now ?
Excellent !

Posted by .

::reads again::

… "Lick My Love Pump"?

Well then! That’s pretty funny, and yes, someone do post the abc!

Cheers and SCHOOL,
Armand

Yep, I’m totally uncultured. "See - she admits it!" (I wonder who remembers *that* one?)

I knew there had to be something in there I’da got if I was a bit more "with it". 8-#

Posted by .

I have been having fun lately playing modal tunes on a harmonica, using cross harp (playing a D modal tune on a G harmonica or an A modal tune on a D harmonica, for example). The problem is, I can’t resist the temptation to bend a lot of those draw notes, which give the tune a bluesy sound and drags it across the pond to America. At our local session, such behavior is occasionally tolerated, but I wouldn’t do it among strangers.
AL Brown

I play all tunes in F, regardless of what key others are playing in.

Oh, hey Al! if you’re going to this Sunday’s session, tell ‘em I won’t be there, I’m Halloweeening!~!

Cheers and study period much,
Armand

A

I hearby claim the shortest and most consise reply to any thread any where in the universe …

Posted by .

‘BegF’ beat me to it …

he may (or may not), rigthly (or wrongly) ‘claim’ (or not) the most cryptic …

or …

I would have to say G major, mostly because I play whistle alot and half-hole on the larger whistles, and it’s just so FUN for some tunes. Literally, it is fun just to finger them, let alone play them. Such as Green Grow the Rushes hornpipe.

E major (especially Cape Breton reels)
F# minor
B minor