Suggested penalties for submitting dag willingly

Suggested penalties for submitting dag willingly

What should be the punishment for submitting dag? Discuss

Re: Suggested penalties for submitting dag willingly

what is dag?

Posted by .

Search for "dag" in the discussion search and you will get 5 pages of links. Also see Dow’s member profile: thesession.org/members/4763

I’m glad you asked, adae. I’ve been googleing dag with no luck.

I think it’s a tuning for a mandolin with one course of strings missing.

Lick the roisin residue off a fiddle.

took me a ….. long time to look it up.
ok. keyword dingleberry.

in other words: crap - tunes.

but why penalties? and who shall declare and
judge?

Posted by .

sorry, i ve just read: punishment.
but still: why punishment?

Posted by .

Dag? Dingleberry? I’m still lost, people! Some of us grew up before personal computers. I’m the kind of guy who emails somebody and then calls him on the phone to make sure he got the email. I’ve searched for dag, DAG, d.a.g.,and dingleberry to no avail. I think my dog knows more about dag than I ever will, and he certainly knows more about dingleberries.

Dag is when you write your name in the snow.

"Dag" is Dutch for "day", so I’m still as mystified as other posters.
Trevor

The penalty for not knowing what dag is shall be tenfold the penalty for submitting it! Run for shelter!

Posted by .

Isn’t it the irregular past tense form of "to dig"? ;}

In sheepfarming parts of England it’s one piece of "soiled" wool near a sheep’s rear end.

There should be penalties imposed for using the word "dag" on a trad music forum… come on, this isn’t "neighbours" (terrible australian soap opera from years ago for those of you fortunate never to have heard of it), ya flamin’ mongrel, ya great galah! crikey!!!

No offence made to any Australian terms, but the word "dag" just conjures up awful flash-backs to "neighbours"… cringe city!

Hahaha it’s too late, it has already entered trad vocabulary.

Murrough, you are correct. ‘Dag’ is one of those terrible old Australian expressions that probably would have featured on a terrible old Australian soapie like ‘Neighbours’. I think Dow, as a relative newcomer to our shores, has probably noticed that the word is still fairly widely used around here to describe something that is dead common, unfashionable,lacking in sophistication, ‘a bit silly’ etc.

It is not the harshest of criticisms, though, and the word carries with it more than a hint of affection, as in ‘Grandpa with his daggy old gardening hat’ or ‘Uncle Greg playing that daggy bush music on his daggy old squeezebox’.

I suspect this is what Dow has picked up on and why he enjoys the expression. It carries with it a little messsage of respect for the ordinary, less sophisticated aspects of our culture. Extrapolating to ITM, ‘Rakes of Mallow’ ‘Drowsy Maggie’, ‘Rolling in the Rye Grass’ etc fit the expression ‘daggy’ because they seem boring and ho-hum today but they definitely have their honoured place within the tradition. So I agree with Dow, I think the word works well in this context.

Once again, apologies to you Murrough for inflicting ‘Neighbours’ on you and your people but I must admit it always seemed to be more popular with the ‘Poms’ than it ever was here in Australia.

Neighbours is still on TV here, though nobody watches it now.
Thanks, at least, for Natalie Imbruligo and her one song—also Kylie’s bum. 🙂

To John J, you’re welcome to both. Dont really know Natalie and not sure wether Kylie’s bum aint itself a bit daggy these days.

Natalie was lovely and had *one* good song. 🙂

Well, rattle me dags!
Don’t you really mean wittingly? If they’re a bit of a dag, they might unwittingly submit dag. Hardly a cause for penalties though. Poor things.

Since our perceptions of what qualifies as ‘dag’ are bound to differ somewhat, perhaps Jeremy should install some kind of dag detector in the tune database, which places a (d) after the title of any tune it deems dag (Of course, ultimately, that would mean that Jeremy would have to set the criteria for dag - but then, none of us would exist, so who are we to argue.).

Once a definitive dag detector is in place, submitters of dag should be banned from playing in sessions for a month and be forced to stay at home, learning every piece of dag in the tunes section of this site. The inevitable increase in the dag content of the tunes section will thus serve to strengthen the deterrent power to potential dag submitters.

The parenthesis at the end of the first paragraph above should have read: (Of course, ultimately, that would mean that Jeremy would have to set the criteria for dag - but then, none of us would exist without him, so who are we to argue.).

Yeah! Most of us have had the disappearing thread trick done on us one time or other. Little bytes of non-existance like shatter transition on Movie Maker. Maybe its Jeremy’s idea of a dag tag! So be warned, don’t willingly (or unwittingly) submit dag or you’ll end up with a fashionable microchip dag tag, and be sent in disgrace to the dag house. Woof Woof.

Still room for a few more dags in the dag house?

Always thought DAD DAG was a special tuning system for dyslexic guitar players. Anyway who said that Drowsy Maggie and the Kesh Jig were DAG tunes? I think they’re great - just goes to show that "one man’s DAG is another man’s poison"!

I have an Indian friend called Dag…
plays a great big whistle thing, with more holes then a 72 bass accordian…

Also wasn’t that a partial phrase years ago,
dag nabbit? (Spelling)

Posted by .

Dag is an elitist term.

Now you’ve given me a complex. How in heavens is a newcomer to get started if the well-known tunes are dismissed as daggy, and the obscure tunes are so obscure no one knows them?

In my dulcimer group we always teach beginners such chestnuts as ‘Bile Dem Cabbage’ and ‘Old Joe Clark.’ They’re easy to learn, easy to play and beginners get confidence by learning a few tunes that everyone knows. There is a great deal to be said for a core repetoire, even though it will naturally evolve over time as new tunes are added and gain favor and old ones fall by the wayside.

Posted by .

its a pity that snowyowl itself didnt participate!

Posted by .