The purpose of joining The Session if you never submit comments etc…

The purpose of joining The Session if you never submit comments etc…

What is the point of joining The Session if you never submit comments etc… you might as well not join up. How many people would there be if they didn’t join?

Re: The purpose of joining The Session if you never submit comments etc…

Snowyowl, by definition, we’ll be unlikely to get comments on this thread from anyone who never submits comments πŸ™‚
It’s difficult to get anything like an accurate figure for the number of people who start discussions, submit comments, tunes, info about recordings, sessions, etc without trawling through a very large member database - a bit like getting meaningful results from a national election, I suppose πŸ™‚.
My ballpark feeling is that there’s probably no more than a few hundred members who are. or have been, active posters in one form or another. I suspect that many of the "lurkers" are just there to download tunes, but perhaps I’m being a bit cynical.

Trevor

Click on "Frequently asked questionns" and you’ll find that’s the first question there.
The Tunebook and ABC download facility is extremely useful and it’s worth joining for that. You don’t have to be making comments all the time but you can submit tunes, links, recordings etc.
As Jeremy will probably confirm, there’s no obligation for anyone to contribute anything. However, I think it’s nice to give something back now and again.

Each member gets out of this what they want. Why should it matter to anyone else?

Yeah, I’m a lurker - except 4 now. I think this is a great resource but I don’t feel my opinions (except 4 this 1) are worth airing ‘cos all u guys know loads more than me. Happy?

I have lurked for a good while, I occasionally visit the site, read a few discussions, check out the links and sessions pages. I have discovered some local sessions that I never knew existed through another member of thesession.org, in order for me to contact that member I had to register as a member.

Like Morondog said, it’s a great resource which as far as I can see is one of the main reasons for the existence of the website.

I posted my first thread this morning as a result of a conversation I had with another musician, up until that point I have never had the need to post comments.
That’s three posts in one day for me, I’m feeling a bit dizzy I might and have to go and lurk for another 6 months to recover.

Well, Q will be happy to know there is another sessioneer on the African continent.
So there must be at least 12-13k members now. And as Trevor says only a few hundred contribute to the discussions. But people will use the site for other stuff, eg downloading tunes, posting sessions, links, emailing members etc.

Try accessing this site on a computer which doesn’t have your log-on. You’ll see how much you can’t do.

A lurker out of hiding….

i want to put my hand up and admit being a ‘lurker’ (im sorry snowyowl and trevor), but as rocking bow says, each person gets their out of this what they want.
its often i dont post a comment in a discussion because:
a) i only came on here to look for a tune
b) the point had already been raised and i was x number of posts too late
c)i may not have an opinion on a particular subject, and only wish to see what others out there think of a topic, therefore *happy to lurk*

Alhough, imagine this: with in excess of 13000 people on this site, can you imagine the chaos caused as people all 13000 submit numerous tunes (maybe duplicates) all on the same day or the message board gets so crowded that its impossible to write anything without someone getting there before you. a thread would quickly disintergrate and fragment, and i think all we would have is chaos.
i know its usual for people to complain about the norm (why isnt there more of this/ less of that/ cant we change that…etc), but thats human nature.
every person uses their music to fulfil a particular end, whether it be for enjoyment, as a profession or just something to pass the time. as i see it, the session, being an extension of the music, should be used by the individual as they see fit.

Personally, I’m here to learn. I play through all the tunes posted every day and I read the comments and follow up on references to other tunes, etc. Many thanks to all the experienced folk who post regularly! Hopefully, one day I’ll be able to give more back.

Posted by .

Aaron has a point. I have partcipated in one or two forums that moved so fast it just wasn’t fun anymore. I think this one is just about right - but having said that, would welcome more voices, too.

Posted by .

I’ve been predominantly a lurker very much in line with Aaron’s 3 reasons but also because:
-I don’t feel knowledgable enough yet about the genre’ or its performers (past, current, amateur, professional, etc.) to express an opinion on a particular topic.
-Though I’ve paticipated in "similar" musical experiences I have yet to crack my mando case in a sessison and try to keep up.

& I enthusiastically second muspc’s spirit and feelings regarding this place even if I don’t appear to participate so much.{or play through all the tunes ;) }

If you look in the upper right corner of this page, you’ll see links to different parts of the site—tunes, recordings, sessions, discussions, links. Discussions is just a part of session.org. As a lurker I sometimes learn from the discussions (and more often get entertained by them) but as an ear-learner, it’s a great resource when I’m learning a tune to go to the recordings section and find which CD’s have that recording so I can listen to different versions, hear what they’re doing with the rythm, etc. If that was the only section on the site, I’d be happy.

I’m with the ones who feel that most of the time I dont have much worthwhile to contribute. Perhaps when I get some more experience that will change.

I know I’ve learnt a lot from this site and when I feel I can I’ll put something back into the put.

The amount of times I have typed a response and then deleted it is huge - its not that I just want to take from the site its that I feel I don’t know enough yet to contribute meaningfully. I have learnt heaps from this place - not just technical stuff that helps me play but also stuff that increases my knowledge of this music.
I feel a post is like joining a tune, you should only play if you can add to the music.

Besides the spelling and grammer police give me nightmares.

There is a similarity with a real life Sessions in that some come in to listen and watch, some come to play or learn a tune (or noodle) and some just come in for a chat.
As a guitarist/accompanist I always felt a little on the outer. I do post comments if I have something to offer and have been doing so for years but I did lurk for long periods also.
As a lurker but potential poster I am still a sort of resource in that if a relevant discussion came up I would post a comment.
My personal feeling is the more the merrier and it doesn’t matter how few postings come from individual members, they are silently contributing by just being there just as much as the quiet punter who sits in the corner on his own at the Session listening to the goings-on.
I contribute to another discussion board on Celtic Fingerstyle (guitar) music where each poster is actually classified as "New", Active or Frequent Poster. Maybe a 5 tiered system would actually encourage people to push their contributions up to earn their stripes for all to see. Then again maybe not…….

I’m a lurker on another site where they are particularly pushy about submitting etc and are about to delete anyone who hasn’t participated in the last 6 months or whatever. I hope this site never goes down that path -it’s a great resource and I don’t think people should be pressurised into submitting just to retain the right to use it

I’m a lurker. Ilurk because as mentioned by many above I’m here to learn. I did at one time use the tune database a lot but now I use it sparingly. I am by nature rather shy, although some may not beleive it, and I find some of the banter here a bit intimidating. I do however value the insights and observations of people who are both enthusiastic and knowledgable. If I ever reach a degree of expertise/knowledge/humour which would enable me to contribute constructively you SHALL see my words. Until then I see every word you write.πŸ™‚

Clunk999 - the correct spelling is grammar. Write out 100 times "I must speel grammar corektlee" please.

This is turning into one of those therapy sessions where people stand up and confess. I confess that I am a lurker who has made only one contribution so far. I think that, for many people, lurking in web groups like this is a bit like watching discussion programmes on the TV or listening to them on the radio. You are interested in the subject, enjoy the informed comment (and the humourous asides) and can pick up useful bits of information at the same time. Of course the advantage is that you can add your comments if you get the urge.

Re: The porpoise of joining The Session if you never submit comments etc…

The Sesion is grate fun for the speling and gramer pleece innit?

I don’t know how many people download tunes…when I first visited this site I thought it was a must to recognise the tunes posted, so I started to click them.

Forgive me, I’m not used to this sort of technology, and I ended up spending so much time looking at tune titles and I just thought,
"Hang on! Who cares how many you know?" So even when I get the newsletter I don’t even check the tunes ( sorry Jeremy ) but the computer I’ve got access to is so clapped out it takes ages just to get to the site, so I try to read it a couple, maybe three times a week.

What I might add, however, is that a lot of people must be very quick at what they write, ‘cos for sure I’d be playing my flute more time than they spend writing on this site!

Have fun playing!
Bx

re Taranatella’s post—what a drag about being deleted for not having been active lately on your other website. If that were the case I would have been deleted here by now.

I used to be very active and still have friends here. Just going through a lurking period right now, it’ll probably pass at some point and I’ll be back in full swing.

Oh, and the beauty about this site is that you *don’t* have to be an extremely experienced player to participate.

Posted by .

O dear, more nightmares.

I came to The Session to champion bodhran players… i.e was annoyed at the constant bodhran bashing.
I have learned a lot.. and have taken on board frustrations of musicians who genuinely do not like hit and miss bodhran players.
I don’t like them either.
I was rash in my condemning of musicians, and to comments they posted. I now have learned of their frustrations, and hopefully have (or at least feel I have) given up that quest (like it was mine to begin with!!).
Thw Session has at least given me insight…
I lurked and then steamed over comments posted before trashing peoples genuine agruments…..
Lurking actually caused me more anxiety!
Reading the responses to my comments was a great teacher…
as they say… "every day is a school day"

Posted by .

Well, MY purpose was to find tchunes, read a lot of useful information, and the craic of course…

I’m sorry that I’ve been in the session since two years without ever writing a comment… I could quote a Finnish student who didn’t say a single word during the whole academic year of his English conversation class: "In Finland, when we have nothing to say, we say NOTHING."

Besides, I’m nevre shoore whetha I spelll grammer korektlee…

It occurs to me that I’m a lurker too. I check out most discussions, read tune comments, scan the recordings and session listings, all without posting to most areas. When I do post it’s because someone’s playing a straight man to my sense of humor and I just can’t resist, or someone’s searching for an answer to a question that I’ve had myself, and now’s an opportunity to pass along what someone wiser once told me.

And I type too fast for my own good. πŸ™‚

Posted .

LOL lurker my arse, you’re almost as gobby as Zina πŸ˜‰

Gobby ?

Posted by .

*Gasp* *Blush* I’ve just checked our comment tally. I’m not far behind you and you’ve been at the session since before I was born. I take back what I said, except the bit about Zina being gobby πŸ˜€

Ha, to be specific (and rub it in, gobby-oh πŸ™‚ Mark you’re member 4,763, and you’ve posted 3,551 comments. I’m member 58 and I’m only 607 comments ahead of you. At this rate, you will lap me sometime in the next 21 minutes. πŸ˜€

Posted .

To be fair, however, most of your tally takes the form of one-line ripostes about anglo concertinas….

Posted .

To some degree, unless I’m very careful about my posting I feel as though I’m actually in a bar and overhear different conversations. Not wanting to be rude I’ll usually lurk. I’d suspect that a lot of lurkers arn’t up to "session standards" yet and don’t want to be shot down for asking questions that have already been asked numerous times. A couple of times instead of a short answer I was given a link to past postings. I’m not complaining but it does take a lot of time at the session to keep up with what’s going on. So, unless asked to comment I’ll probably keep lurking and learning. Most of the time it’s a once in a week check on the postings for anything interesting, not enough to really add to a conversation.

LOL

Good god, the things I’ve missed, I’m still trying to catch up. Mark, you’re owed another bruise, even if you do happen to be right — I do "talk" a lot here, mainly because I generally type somewhere between 80-120 wpm, so it’s easy for me to gob away.

I have to say, I enjoyed reading the comments from some of our lurkers. Stop lurking and start talking (I realize this is so much wasted bytes, but it’s always worth a try)! The major thing for you folks too shy to post to remember is that this is actually a very small community worldwide, and you can make real friends here all over, and that’s no small thing to have.

There’s been any amount of people who have told me that they lurk here, some of whom (you know who you are!) I wish would post simply because I know I could learn so much from them if they did. And I’ll take trips to here and there and meet people who say that they’re lurkers and seen me online here, to which I can only think — good lord, we could have been picking up on an already established friendship now, instead of only just meeting each other!

So — it’s nice to finally "meet" strakajoe, jerryb, lyrick, morondog, ludoarcam, ed veras, aaron b, et al, say hello again to clunk and davetnova, have a chance to think fondly of Andee and remind myself that I need to write her, and all that. Hopefully someday we’ll meet up for a tune, now that I know you exist! Welcome, and I hope we get to know you better.

Oh, btw, jrathbun, as the session ferret (as Tish was so kind to dub me once), sometimes the links are the best way to answer, because there’ll be discussion about the subject there that would take much too much time to re-type out for a poster. It’s not usually a comment that a question has been repeated or that we’re tired of answering — we rather expect that to happen, you see.