T

T

I’m looking for the English translation of the well known air T

We’ll have a go !

hey toni, its a lovely tune, i only learned it recently myself.
so go on a head and post here and despite not being totaly fluent , i’ll have a go at it and im sure cathail will as well. in the meantime it you might find it interesting to know that the full title of it is "im asleep and dont awaken me !"
I learned it from the playing of C

Posted by .

Re: T

Back in January I posted a slide (in jig format) to the tune archives we learned off of Altan, and they called it I’m Sleeping and Don’t Wake Me. I have no idea if it’s related to the air Toni is looking for. I’ve heard it only played up tempo, but I’ve heard it only from one source.

Posted .

Thanks Mairt

Though my Irish is far from fluent these days, I can give you a rough idea of what the song is all about until some one with proper command of the language gives a line-by-line rendering into English. The first verse describes how the narrator has a vision of a beautiful woman one evening by a "lios" (a ring fort. this is the "Lis…" familiar from so many Irish place names. Her wavy hair is described with poetic fever in lines 5/6. And I think he is then lulled to sleep by her. Next verse has this woman lament the oppression which has forced so many young men across the seas but she foresees a day when the English will be harnessed and made to plough the land. The final verse is a call to rise up against the English and cast them into the tide. Not a detailed translation, but at least you now have some rough notion of the words.

Thanks, LongNote.

I need the translation because we’re going to perform the tune on our next gig, in a Community Centre, and I’d like to give the audience a translation of the lyrics. We’re planning to read the original irish version, and then play the air (none of us dare to sing it. 😀)

So if I finally manage to get the english version I’ll have to translate it to Catalan after that. I hope the whole spirit and musicality won’t dissapear in the process. I’ll do my best … if Mairt

Hi toni:

I’ve just read your message now (I’ve a bit busy lately), and I’ve read the song and as soon as I have a proper translation of it I’ll post it to you.
The main idea of the song is what LongNote says.
Do you have any problem with the pronunciation? If you need any help let me now so, maith go leor? (OK?)

Feicfidh m

Go raibh m

hey, it would appear that i was im’ chodladh for a while there ! but it aint easy to get on the net all the time.
to be honest, i really couldnt do any better than longnote who done a wonderfull job ! i’d be on the dictonary for ages to get a translation as good as that !
t

Posted by .