Vote now-what do you think is the daggiest tune ever?

Vote now-what do you think is the daggiest tune ever?

I think Winster Gallop. Discuss

Re: Vote now-what do you think is the daggiest tune ever?

The theme music to Neighbours. Available now on Mushroom records.

Funny, I have no problem with the term Diddly, but Daggy gets on my tits for some reason.

Posted by .

That’s ‘cause diddley/diddly = good
And Daggy = shite

So just away with your shite discussions and talk about good tunes insteaqd

Posted .

Snowy, I mean absolutely no personal offence toward you, but this is one thing that is really beginning to f*** me off about this forum. For every thread about favourite tunes there seem to be two about what we don’t like.

It’s boring, and potentially hurtful. What is the motive behind this, anyway? Proving you’re cool because you hate the right stuff?

Posted by .

No, just curiosity about what other people hate. I do hate some "cool" tunes as well, like the rights of man, that really annoys me

Morrison’s Jig because it’s played TO MUCH. And probably the Dingle Regatta, because it gets on my nerves.

If Winster Gallop was Irish, it might be dreadful, but it isn’t. (Ditto Rigs of Marlow.)
Let’s not be offensive to other cultures now!

Michael, Thank you.

So what happens if I go to a session, someone plays Morrison’s.

And I don’t know it.

Is there a subdaggy catagory?

Or is that reverse sobbery?

This dag thing exists in American blugrass as well, maybe not to the degree expressed here on the session though.

I was at a picking party once and suggested we play Old Joe Clark…sort of a shake hands tune you know.

One young feller says….oh I never play that old tune.

Turns out he was right…he never played and couldn’t play it at all.

Heck, I cry foul ball there.

I think I had better be able to play the hell out of Morrison’s first…then just trash the hell out of it later.

Don’t you reckon?

There’s no such thing as a daggy,(what a horrible word),tune.Repeat after me:

If we all had the same tastes the world would be a very boring place.

Let’s banish the word to the dustbin of history.

Agreed

Posted by .

I kinda like it. It’s fun. Don’t like the negative connotations that other people seem to put in it, though.

Posted by .

Still thinking of Kylies bottom here.

It’s elitist.It implies that because someone likes a tune that you think is shite they have a less sophisticated sense of appreciation than you.That’s wrong.

Well I am starting to learn Morrison’s Jig now in my whistle class. I quite like the tune. I hope this doesn’t make me an unsophisticate….

…answers on the back of a postcard!!

Call me po-faced, but it doesn’t feel very respectful to the tunes, or the generations of people that have passed the tunes along! A tune might get hi-jacked by over-popularity, but it’s still the tune it was before. It probably became so popular because it was a strong tune. Familiarity breeds contempt, I suppose.

Posted by .

Quite right Nell.

Morrison’s is a fecking brilliant tune. It’s an archetypal Em (Dorian?) tune. It’s a proper tune with real guts, not a ‘simple’ tune. Turn the first half on it’s head and you have the Rollicking Boys of Tandernagee(Well, sort of!)
It just gets played a lot by beginners, so it gets sneered at by people who want other people to think they’re cool.
The Dingle regatta might be a ‘jolly bumpkin’ type of tune, but I don’t see why it’s vilified any more than any other slide - they have to be simple so they can be played fast enough(!). I don’t think I’ve actually ever heard it played at a session myself, so I don’t get the over-exposure thing on this one - maybe it’s played a lot in the States?
Mark

I wouldn’t want to get too precious about some tunes. Let’s face it, some of them were probably knocked out 10 a penny in the 19th century, just to be simple dance tunes, and easily played by untrained rural musicians in Ireland, Scotland, England and elsewhere. That said, I like most of them. THe Kesh and Saddle the Pony are what I call Donkey tunes (I don’t really know what Daggy is supposed to mean - it seems to be being used in a different context from what Dow originally meant when he introduced the term a while back - in his original context The Bluebell Polka is the archetypal Daggy tune.)

Holding a tune in low regard tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy—you’ll never play it well yourself if you diss it in your mind. It also shows, I think, an ignorance of or even disregard for the tradition—most of the tunes we play are *dance* tunes, not chamber music. Even tunes that may not resonate much on a listening level (such as Concertina Reel or Atholl Highlanders 🙂 can be terrific "lifters" for dancers, and there in lies their worth.

Posted .

Danny and I cross posted, along the same lines. Great and plastered minds think alike, eh? 🙂

Posted .

Near enough, Will. Certainly plastered. But I still don’t know what you’ve got against the Atholl Highlanders. It’s obviously not a friend (see Michael’s new thread)

:~}

Yeh, but if the Kesh hadn’t been recorded by the Bothy Band, and hadn’t got played to death all over the planet, people would hear it completely differently. It’s a simple tune that has character, spirit and momentum; try writing one, it’s probably near impossible. I have a particular liking for simple, repetitive old pipes tunes, myself, and I have no argument with simplicity. Some of the stongest and most flavoursome tunes are essentially simple. But maybe if ‘Ask My Father’ had been recorded by a supergroup and everyone had played it everywhere for the last 30 years, then it would be considered ‘daggy’. (Maybe it was and is, I may have missed that…)

Posted by .

Yeah, probably so. But when you’ve played it twice a week for 20 odd years, the character spirit and momentum gets slightly stale. Or maybe that’s my interpretation of it after that kind of exposure to it…

I know, fair point, Rab! But, it just seems unfair to blame the tunes themselves… 🙂

Posted by .

In many cases it is not the tune, but the playing of it, and sometimes over-playing of it.

Morrison’s, for instance, seems like an easy tune to people, when in fact it is difficult. So, one might hate the sound of Morrison’s at a session where people murder it. I know I do.
So, Morrison’s then is not my favorite session tune, however great a tune it may be.

I would encourage moth-balling tunes. One tune that reacts like the tide is Trim the Velvet. It seems popular for awhile, and then gets overplayed and fades, only to come back again years later.

Posted by .

"Morrison’s, for instance, seems like an easy tune to people, when in fact it is difficult."

I think so too.

Also, I was at a session a while ago (just watching, too advanced). They were playing a set of jigs and they went into this lovely minor tune. I was thinking "wow what tune is that?" Sure enough it was Morrison’s.

Posted by .

Conán, I wouldn’t mind having composed the theme music to Neighbours or any other really popular soap for that matter. Think of all those lovely royalties coming through your letter-box for the next couple of decades, plus repeats world-wide, and spin-offs such as cds and tapes.

Trevor

For "your letter-box" I of course mean "my letter-box" 🙂
Trevor

Jockett:
If we all had the same tastes, the world would be a boring place.
Let’s banish the word, "daggy."

But, if you banished all our ways for saying whether we like or dislike things, then for all anyone could tell, we would all have the same tastes, and the world would be a boring place. Do you want the world to be a boring place?

M_gavin,you failed to grasp my point.There are tunes that I don’t care to play,but that’s just my taste,I don’t criticize other people for liking them,and I don’t call the tunes "daggy".That would be adopting a superior attitude,and I don’t think that has a place in ITM.everyone is free to like or dislike a tune,but that’s just subjective.If you don’t like a tune,then say why in the comments section,but don’t look down your nose at others who do like the tune.That’s what I was trying to say.

Of course there are tunes that are murdered in sessions, that I cant stand to hear anymore. Probably nice tunes in their own right.

But - and Ive said this a thousand times before, anybody can write a tune…maybe not a good tune…So it stands to reason that some person with no talent whatsoever has written a tune that just sucks. And not an over played tune. One that you hear for the first time ever and you think ‘that is awful’. Its not being snobby or thinking that youre above other people. Its called taste, and everybody has different tastes (thankfully). And if I dont like a tune, if I think its naff and boring then I am not going to be a hypocrite who tippy toes around the place saying things like ‘wow guys…theres no such thing as a bad tune, all tunes are beautiful in one way or another..blah, blah, blah’ No -I am going to say ‘I hate that tune, its a dud’ Maybe if I say that out loud more often - then people who have absolutely no talent for writing tunes would stop and give there rest of us some peace. Its like saying that ‘all gods creatures are beautiful’ - well I have one word for you "Lampray" (or whatever those discusting massive blood sucking eels are called).

Posted by .

Hey Beebs - don’t hold back now - let it all out!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

Don’t upset Linda Lamprey…or Stanley Shark will be after you! 🙂

Jim

er, Eel in the Sink anyone?

Posted .

You appear to be a voice crying in the wilderness, dear jocklet.

Why is it so hard for everyone to understand the difference between saying you don’t like something, and saying it sucks.

But more to the point, why, oh why do we have to waste so much cyberspace talking about what we don’t like instead of what we do like? WHY? WHY? WHY?

Posted by .

Personally the Dingle Regatta is pure naff…
hi ho diddley do
all stand up like eejits, sit down again and feel so embarrassed at the thought of ever really doing it!!
Drives the Croatians crazy tho, sos much so it is like a Mexican wave to them!!!
(Or have I named the correct tune??? !!!)

Posted by .

What I hate even more than people discussing the same topics over and over again, are people who post on a thread purely just to say ‘I hate this thread, why is everyone posting on it?’ Go onto another thread if you dont like what is being said. personally I like discussing tunes I dont like as much as discussing tunes I like (which there are many)Its interetesting to see things like that we pretty much all hate the Dingle Regatta.

Posted by .

But BB all tunes sound great when played by you.
Good to see you becoming active again or is this really Dow using your identity.

hahahhaha Donough - very funny!
I’ve sprained my ankle so no work for a while for me - luckily I havent sprained my wrists hence back on the website for a bit and playing a few tunes.

Posted by .

Eoino - yes, that standing up and sitting down thing in Dingle Regatta is very sad. And embarassing. You won’t ever catch me doing it for sure. I quite like the tune though.

I think that this discussion has reached saturation point.

So, why did you post your last message, then?

Margarets Waltz and Planxty Irwin played alternately.
We got told off for putting flattened chords in and crying with laughing. We haven’t learnt any better yet!

Hiya BB, how’s it going? Sorry about your ankle, don’t go rushing back to work now, will you? 😉
It gets *soooo* much worse than lampreys - look up ‘hagfish’ (also known as ‘slime eels’) - but only if it’s not near meal-time…

Posted by .

Beebs, great point. Everyone is allowed to hate tunes. Doesn’t mean the tune is bad; it’s just an opinion. There’s a big difference between "Christ I hate that tune, I don’t feel like playing it" and "You’re a twonk for playing that tune".

Totally Conan and BB. My thoughts precisely.

Some of you guys are too wound-up, I know that’s the most irritating thing to say to a wound-up person, but it’s true. Most people like to hate stuff but not in a really serious way and this is shown by how two-faced I am towards these tunes that I "hate", I play them in a sesh where other people enjoy them but I wouldn’t lead them in a sesh where others are impartial.

I dooo really hate when a newbie player starts one of their limited # of tunes (and consequently usually a common and maybe overplayed session tune) and more experienced players don’t play out of principle. That’s what windz me up.

Alex xx

hmmm… daggiest - I’ve never used that word before, I don’t think people say that in the UK but I have heard it on Neighbours, what an ironically daggy place to hear it! Hehe… and before I get lots of msgs no I don’t have anything thing against Neighbours or neighbours or Australians or day-time TV in England……. come to think of it damn I just missed the 1:45 viewing!

oh and Conan from London, yah? You are too nice - twonk as an insult? He he

Alex, how are you my friend? Still down in Brighton? I’m going to be down there next month so maybe we can get a tune or two with Sarah, Catherine B and the rest of them.

Yeah, twonk’s pretty harmless sounding until you read this: http://www.encyclopedia-of-stuff.com/displayarticle307.html

Nothing there, eh? Replace the word "stuff" in the URL with a word meaning "gender" and you’ll get there. See how considerate I am to the kiddies?

Dunno "youre a twonk for playing that tune" sounds like a pretty good line to me🙂

Posted by .

I refer the Honorable Member to my last answer.

Thank you, Snowyowl. I say The Winster Gallop has it, even though I did post it myself.

SO it’s a verb ~ to twonk

I Twonk
He Twonks
She twonks (well not unless "she" has been lying to you)
They twonk (a lot of that in Brighton)

ok gettin’ silly now

Yes hi Conan. I am in Brighton - at the Uni now. I sent you a text about a new session I’m starting on Wednesdays before I read that you are coming down here soon anyway. That’s really cool. We’ll def have tunes. Music here is good - lot’s of musos about.

I haven’t spoken to Cath for a while - I think she is in Swanage at the mo. Sarah’s back in the States. She met this guy over there. Ahh. But I THINK she’ll be back soon and I’m sure she’d be up for a toon too.

Well I probably should do some work now - don’t laugh, students do study…..occasionally.

‘peek soon
Alex

Just saw Eoino’s remark amount Croatian’s loving Dingle regatta.

It’s true. They love the cheesy tunes…. I mean I met some seriously talented Croat musicians and yet they had no sense of what I (in all my wisdom) consider a cool tune and what is …well dingle regatta.

Interesting.

Maybe over there folk music is cooler than rock. Just think- me, I could be a f**k star. Sounds racey.

Alikz

Why are we still having discussions about daggy tunes? Go away and play some music.

jakki s

Echoing many other views- if you don’t like the thread go elsewhere.

You know I find comments like yours a lot more offensive than the rest in the thread. Is it compulsive? you just can’t ever leave a room/thread without passing judgement?

I will have tunes later - but probably not because you told me to.

Alex xx

Alikz

Call it a quick response after a bad day - I don’t normally reply in this manner. However, I have to agree with Kris above - if there are tunes that bore you, then that’s fine. I would have reckoned, though, that we could all gain a lot more by talking about our favourite tunes and our favourite sets, like those that post those tunes on this website do.

I admit that there are tunes that I guess i find ‘daggy’ as well, but recently I discovered that this is only when I played, or heard them played, in a boring, straight fashion. I recently played the tune Davy Davy Knick Knack along with others at a session in Edinburgh - I used to avoid this tune as I found it dull, but the minute we started to relax and dot the quavers it was transformed. I ended up changing my mind about the tune and felt much better after having played it again.

So, I apologise for having offended you. Incidentally what is your favourite tune/set? (if you can decide) Maybe we could start another discussion on this fresher note?

Cheers,
J.

P.S. Have just read your comment about how more experienced players refuse to play during the more familiar tunes that newbies play. I’ve seen this as well - good fiddlers going up to the bar for a pint whilst a less experienced player starts to share his/her tunes with the group. It’s a real shame to see this happen.

No hard feelings I hope 🙂

I’m afraid I have to put in a good word here for the much maligned The Dingle Regatta, about which I had previously said on another thread similar to this that I had a love-hate thing. I think the main reason it’s hated so much is because it has been played to death down through the years. And why has it been played to death? Because, like Morrisons Jig et al it’s a damn good tune. Likewise The Irish Washerwoman (though I can’t bring myself to say the same for The Boys of Blue Hill). Actually The Dingle Regatta is quite difficult to play well, in a good steady tempo and bringing out all the brio that’s latent in a good Kerry slide. So there.

We call the Dingle Regatta "Bibbitty Bobbity Boo", because they start very similarly.

Phonsie makes good points. We hear some of these tunes played so often that sometimes we respond automatically and negatively to the mere mention of them. But, as they’ve been played so many times it takes a bit of thought to perform them in a way that can catch folks’ attention and reconvince them of the strength of the tunes. I love Morrisons, particularly when its played with a strong harmony line - the guitarist in my ceilidh band has a super set of chords for it (I’ll try to get them from him). However, sorry phonsie, but I love Boys of Blue Hill as well! ;o)

Thanks for the compliment, jakki. Yeah I’ve been thinking about the Boys of the Blue Hill since. Having grown up in Ireland and hearing it all my life, I and probably thousands like me, need a twenty or thirty year Boys of Blue Hill moratorium so that we can hear it as if for the first time so as to properly appreciate it. Because, according to the logic of my previous comment, it must be a good tune to be so enduring and popular.

Now, is there a support group you can join after you come home from work to find Him Indoors playing Harvest Home on the cello?

Posted by .

Is it as good as the Boston Pops playing Toss the Feathers, Tish?

I’ll, umm, let you know when I find a copy and have a listen 8>#

Posted by .

Hehehehe. It’s dreadful. I shouldn’t. Just imagine it to yourself, and you’ll have it about right…

I hasten to add (Hi, Trevor!) that we are a cello-friendly household … but there *are* limits …

Posted by .

Seamus Ennis thought highly of The Boys Of Bluehill.

‘Happy birthday to you’ … and i really hate that term”daggy” _it’s so w***

Ceoltoiri Chualann did a great job of Morrison`s jig on the album Playboy of the Western World. Lovely harmonising tin whistles and chunky button key box, accompanied by sympathetic bodhran and bones. All from 1962…light years ahead.