Queen is exposed to Highland game (Sorry)

Re: Queen is exposed to Highland game (Sorry)

Lol, Sean I *don’t* want to know what you were looking for when you found this! 🙂

"Colonel West," is it? The, um, "wild, wild" West?

Posted .

But really it’s a shame all those cute little pekinese have to die just to provide sporrans….

Posted .

The link was passed to me from my good pals at the FD. They are quite happy to share such gems with me.

It’s a classic photo. Thanks for posting the link. Perhaps we should have a kilt night at the local session….

Posted .

come on now, its all celtic. if we want to wear scottish kilts while playing irish music, then we will do so! i’m scottish and irish. i think its a nice way to mix heritage. i plan on wearing my kilt when my band plays shows, and we do almost all irish music.

Posted by .

Which makes me wonder why we Americans have pushed scottish highland dress and bagpipe to the forefront on St. Patrick’s Day. (restraint please)

My favorite part of the photo is the unabashedly gleeful look on the face of the offending colonel. That, and the fact that all in the front row seem to have hands poised to give their front panels a big hoist.

It may all be celtic, but there are certain traditions that the Scots have as opposed to the Irish.

It is a commonly held belief among even Irish-descended folk where I live (central Ohio) that kilts are a traditional Irish garment. Although a popular belief it’s not historically accurate.

You’re more than welcome to mix heritage when your band plays - have at it.

But if I were to see your band play and saw you wearing a kilt I would think it a bit out of place, knowing what I do about the garment’s history and place.

All the best.

mconners, I was making a pale joke about the risks (or opportunities, depending on how you see it) of wearing a kilt. Sean and I play in the same session. I never said kilts were Irish.

Of course, there’s also historical evidence that some Irish did borrow the kilt from Scotland. Not as far back as the article you cited, and in solid colors rather than tartans. Gee, that’d be like taking reels and improving on them, making them Irish in the process….

Posted .

The sporting of the kilt at our session has led to some amount of violence. I don’t have much of a reportoire, so I quite often sit and listen to the music/observe the crowd. One St. Patrick’s eve, I observed a man sidling up to one of the local pipebandsmen, whose band had finished their rounds. The sidler then hunkered down and commenced to hoist the front panel of the bandsman’s uniform to once and for all answer the oft posed question. The sidler was quickly spun around by the bandsman and slammed into the popcorn machine. All the while the ITM sessioneers were merrily reeling away, unaware of the heightened activity in their midst. By the time the set was over, tensions had eased, and the sidler fled the scene. So maybe we’d best leave our kilts home🙂

As a young athlete, I was part of an athletics tour to Switzerland and Paris. We had a night out in Paris on 14th July, Bastille Day. As this was a special occasion, myself and a mate went out sporting kilts and T-shirts with bold Scottish saltires emblazoned on them, to jokingly rekindle sentiments of the Auld Alliance (traditionally the Scots are supposed to hate the English and love the French…pathetic load of nonsense if you ask me). AS we marched onwards towards our campsite we stopped off at a big bonfire in Place D’Italie (every available square had a bonfire). There were many people dancing close by cheek to cheek. I noticed one rather pretty blonde young lady dancing with a guy..hmmmm, I thought…but on closer inspection, the blonde had an Adam’s apple…yep, she was a bloke. Now, I’m not homophobic, but there was me and Bill there in our kilts….geezabrek! I didn’t want to be guilty of false advertising! I nudged Bill, explained my observations, so onwards we trecked…

Many years ago, when I was _very_ young and didn’t know much about such things, I heard about in pub in Bristol which had in the ladies toilet a statue of a highlander clothed in the kilt etc. Apparently it was rigged so that if the kilt was lifted a bell would ring in the bar outside …

Trevor

I met a whistle player in Leitrim this summer, who said he was from Galway, but, judging by his accent, had spent a substantial portion of his life somewhere in North America. To confuse matters, he goes by the name of ‘Eliacht’ - Gallic (Scots Gaelic) for ‘diversity’ - and wears dreadlocks and a kilt.

Explain that one.

It may amuse or even offend some of you lot, but the kilt (as in tartan skirt) was invented by the English!