Asturian??

Asturian??

Hi all,

looking for something different I heard an "Asturian Bear Dance" on the recording "the Broken Chanter" by Fred Morrison.
However, I was surprised to hear it performed by a flemish band recently, and they claimed it to be flemish. A quick search on the web supports their opinion.
Who knows more about the origin of this splendid tune and perhaps knows how come Fred Morrison calls this Asturian?

The 1st part of the tune goes like this (BTW, this is my first ABC transcription, hope it makes sense):

M: 4/4
L: 1/4
R: March
K: Bm

f/a/ | fBBf/a/ | fBBd/e/ | ffed | e2ed/e/ | ffe/d/e | ddc/B/A | B/c/dcA | B4

Re: Asturian??

did you mean something like this, henk?

X: 1
T:
M: 2/4
L: 1/8
R: March
K: Bm
|:B/c/d B/c/d|cA A2|B/c/d B/c/d|e2 ed/e/|ff ee|dd cc|BB c/B/A|B2 B2:|
|:BB F2|BB F2|dd cc|BB AA|BB F2|EE FF|B2 B2:|

Posted by .

Thanks Maarten; the 1st part of your version is very similar to the 2nd part of Fred Morrison; your 2nd part doesn’t fit into the picture though. Maybe this tune somewhere consists of more than to parts ….

See you in Gent tomorrow!

I was in a band that recorded that tune, all we knew about it was that it came to us through a renaissance faire.

I’ve seen a band, Wolgemut, play that same tune. They’re a German medeval band (ren faire too). They call it the "Polarbear Dance" and do a cheesy comedy routine to it.

At any rate, this is info about the prevalence of the tune more than its origins, but I agree it’s a great tune

wolgemut is great! i love the tune ungaresca they play on one of their cd’s, i dont know what THEY call it tho. they’re the band that made me and my little brother want shawms.

although, honestly… i think i want a crumhorn more. i played a crumhorn this weekend and it was amazing.

Posted by .

Great tune Ungaresca, I play it on the GHBs with one or two other medieval tunes.

PP

Asturian?! I don’t really read abc but the tune likely to be related to the (flemish) Bear’s Dance which I heard from the Belgian group Rum in the Seventies. Very catchy and quite popular in our region (northwest Germany) at the time.
I could whistle it for you…

Posted by .

Conclusion until now : the tune is quite ancient and has apparently wandered around a bit. But what’s the origin?

This reminds me of a Kevin Burke story: he thought that the Jewish tune Itzikel was Estonian, ‘cause he first heard it in Estonia or from an Estonian player……

This tune appears as "Bear Dance" in the "Encyclopaedia Blowzabellica", a tune book published in 1987 by the English band Blowzabella. The notes describe it as "A Flemish circle dance—no partner necessary." A description of the dance follows. It was also recorded by another English band, Pyewackett, on "The Man In The Moon Drinks Claret". And a US Contradance band called The Groovemongers recorded it as "Barentanz" on their CD "Smooth Sailing". They call it a Scandinavian polka. So this tune does get around.

great, Mike; thanks.

X:1
M:2/4
L:1/8
R:March
K:Amin

|:eA A2|eA AA/c/|cc BB|dd cd|eA eA|eA AA/B|cc B/A/G|A2A2:|:
A/B/c A/B/c|BG G2|AB/c/ AB/c/|d2 dc/d/|ee dd|cc BB|A2A2|B/A/G|A2A2:|

please, comment Jocklet!

okay,

there is the ‘berendans’
and then there is the ‘krebbel’

i’m getting verry confused here.
these two tune are verry often played together, since they are verry alike (hence the confusion?).
the 2-part tune i put up here is actually NOT the ‘berendans’ but de ‘krebbel’, with the b-part only 7 bars. (sometimes the a-part is also played with only 7 bars…)
the ‘berendans’ is a 1-part tune, actually the a-part of jocklet’s version. (check out Ambrozijn’s ‘masacre de sours’)
my guess is that fred morrison’s version is a adaptation/contamination of both tunes.

any clearer?
MM

Posted by .

Sorry,I was in a rush when I posted the tune.The tune I posted is always played at the Flemish sessions that I attend,and they call it the Berendans.I think that it is a hybrid,I have an old LP of appalachian dulicimer music and the first part of the tune I posted appears under the name,"Krebbel".

Is this tune related to the french tune Polka D’ours? They sound extremely similar and some of the parts are the same. Are they simply different versions of the exact same tune, or two different tunes that might have originated as the same tune?

I’d be very interested to hear about the history of this tune. I like both it, and the tune I mentioned.