From Guitar to Mandolin "no lookin back"

From Guitar to Mandolin "no lookin back"

I have played the Guitar for 21 years, The Mandolin for just 1 year, But am better on the mandolin. Has anyone else had a similar experience.

Re: From Guitar to Mandolin "no lookin back"

maybe your fingers are small

Well I played guitar for four years then mandolin for 30 years and I am still shite.
Is that similar enough?

Posted by .

yup, playing accordion (piano) for 8 years, being pretty good. then i picked up the mandolin. 6 months later, no more accordion. Ever.

Lars🙂

I have had a similar experience. I played guitar for pretty close to twenty years, and have now been playing Irish music on Irish bouzouki and now tenor banjo for about two. And I am a much better musician now.

For myself, I can attribute this to having virtually no formal training on guitar, very little organized playing, and no real structure for getting better. I did start accompanying Irish music about 4 years ago, but found that I really wanted to play the tunes instead.

The Irish music has given me focus, reason to practice, and a much more regular chance to play. I will say that my time with guitars certainly gave me a head start on playing the other plectrum instruments.

But now, whenever I pick up a guitar, it feels like an alien in my hands, and I find that I have lost almost everything that I used to be able to play on guitar… I’ll call it a fair trade, though 🙂

Pete

My experience has been almost the opposite. Although I’ve played guitar some over the last 20 years I never played much (and not ITM). And even though I make mandolins for my living and live and breathe them every day, I’m a terrible mandolin player. I’m a good fiddle player though and lately I’m having a blast with my new "used" Lowden, my dream guitar! I’ve improved my guitar playing more in the last 2 weeks than my mando has improved in 10 years. I’ve just about given up hope of ever being a good mando player. Go figure……..

anyone ever hear someone call the mandolin a "guitfiddle"?

Gutfiddle maybe?

‘Guitfiddle’ means ‘guitar’ where I come from. I’ve also heard mandolin referred to as an ‘eight-string cabbage shredder’

Well funnily enough I’ve been playing guitar for near on 17yrs now.I picked up a mandolin for very cheap and haven’t been able to get my fingers round it!!!

guitar 12 I suggest that you stick at it, If it does start to click, You may find it very rewarding like i have.

wardelliot- why are you making mandolins if you cant play them? how do you know they’re any good? haha, just wondering. mike burke doesnt play whistle very much, but his are the best. but he talks to musicians all the time. he used to come into chicago with cases of whistles, hand them to my uncle, and have him play all of them, and then write down every single little thing my uncle said about all of the whistles, and he did this with many whistle players. detailed notes from handfulls of people on hundreds of whistles got him where he is today. how do you do it?

i’m also interested in know why you decided to make mandolins. i hope soon to start making flutes, and so its awesome to see someone who makes instruments for a living.

Posted by .

I play (1st) and make (2nd) mandolins. Perhaps I’d be better at making oboes or xylophones.

I played mostly classical guitar for over tweny years now as well….and although I play very well on the guitar..I have picked up the fiddle very quickly…(I have been playing the fiddle for about 6 yrs solid now)…and I love it!! I actually think that playing my guitar actually impoves my fiddle playing (but not the other way around!)…I think there is a small club out here for folks like us who’s brain converts well from guitar to fiddle and mando, I’m not sure we are a sane club…but we share the same affliction.

Sorry to come in so late, but that is exactly my experience. Always lousy on the guitar, but within 3 weeks of getting the Mandolin, I could play Chief O’Neill’s favourite all the way through. Nowadays, whenever I meet someone who say they play a bit of guitar, I suggest the switch over to the mandolin.
Then from mandolin to fiddle. It’s a very natural progression.

Posted by .

Guitar is one of the easiest instruments to start and one of the most difficult instruments to play well - I should know, 30 years playing and still learning.

Posted by .

Been playing guitar for six years, added the mando a few years ago. Its great. The fifths tuning makes scales and tunes easier to pickup. My picking hand needs work, and i often can’t play fast enough, but that will come with time.

Now i need a carved top oval hole mando and i will be complete.

anotn

Posted by .

Dean, I doubt if you’d have achieved things so quickly on the mandolin i.e one year, if you hadn’t played the guitar first of all—though fiddlers can convert fairly easily too.
Like most people on the thread, I too started on guitar and while I know quite a lot on this instrument, there was no way that I was going to "cut it" as a solo or lead guitarist. Also, I wasn’t a great singer, though I could accompany myself(and others fairly well). However, as discussed elsewhere, there’s too many backers already so it was a natural thing to progress to mandolin/fiddle etc. You get some fairly instant results, I agree but you still have to work hard to make it sound really interesting. The mandolin like any other instrument can be as challenging as you wish to make it.

I’m another. Guitar for years getting to mediocre and staying there. Bought a mandolin on a whim four years ago and got seriously addicted to it. The strange thing is having got a new guitar six months or so ago I find that my mandolin playing has improved my musicianship(?) to the extent that my guitar playing is now better than it ever was.

Moving from fingerpicked guitar (hardly classical, more John Renbourn, Guy Van Duser styles) to playing Irish melody on mandolin and banjo has just made making music so much more fun for me. It’s gone from a self-absorbed, perfectionist, solo activity to a fun social activity.

Picking out the Entertainer on guitar for a noisy dinner crowd just can’t compare with the excitement of being part of a session making a transition between reels. Of course being a session guitar backer is always an option, but the feeling of the melody rattling out from your fingers just seems so much more satisfying.

Posted by .

John J, You are right, I know I couldn’t have achieved what I have on the mandolin without having played the guitar, I am just pleasantly surprised that I am better on the mandolin after so short a period. The reason why i am so chuffed is that on the guitar i am just a chord man, On the mandolin I play Melody which I suppose is probably why I find it more interesting and totally addictive. Also I would like to thank everyone that has contributed to my first submitted discussion, I was a bit worried nobody would bother.

Don’t worry if people don’t always respond to your threads. There’s often no rhyme or reason behind members actions here. 🙂
Sometimes, the more relevant to the music the thread is, the less response you get. 🙂

Ain’t THAT the truth… ;)

And BTW

Welcome to The Session, Dean. 🙂

Zina lee - Thankyou

wardelliot, a friend of mine has a lowden. loudest guitar in the world. just touch a string and it goes off like a churchbell. the sustain i would guess lasts literally for 30 seconds or so. that’s the only one i’ve ever played, or even seen. they aren’t very common in the us, i don’t think. he got his in france.

Posted by .

olaf………I love this guitar! I had been lusting after one for years but I didn’t have the money, so when I got enough saved and this one came available I had to get it.
daiv……I was trained as a violinmaker, but for the last 10 years or so, mandolins have been in high demand, so I started making them. Actually, I can play mando okay and if I really decided to make the effort I think I could be good at it. Maybe it’s just that I’m more motivated to play guitar.

Hello all, it’s my first post here. I also made the switch from guitar to mandolin so I could play more tunes. For a while now I’ve been bringing my octave mandolin to sessions. It has a short enough neck that it’s very playable for the tunes that I know, but when I come across a unfamiliar one, it’s a nice instrument for accompaniment as well.

Posted by .

Hello! I´ve been playing guitar for about 30 years and started playing mandolin 8 years ago. That was nice. Now I´ve trying banjo in 4 years that´s even better.
But I like the sound of the guitar better… For a couple of months I found a new tuning for the guitar: EADEAE!? With that tuning I got a new instument. It´s easier to play tunes and it´s really good in backing, (spec in A and D, the rest go with capo).
Try it!
It will take a while before you find the notes but it sounds really good.

I played guitar for 7 or 8 years and one year ago I moved to the bouzouki and Returned from time to time. It’s a pleasure but I feel my instrument is double strung: Mandolin, Bouzouki or Mandola.

Dean24’s question is a good one…I wonder whether part of an answer begins with the tightness of the strings: mando strings are shorter, require more pressure to fret and provide more resistance to the pick than guitar strings…so either (a) some people are just happier with the higher pressures/resistances of the mandolin and therefore get better quicker, or (b) the slacker strings of the guitar teach both of your hands bad habits when you go back to the mandolin…the latter has been my experience and I’m not sure what the solution is, apart from just play more…

Posted by .