Celtic Guitar Tab

Celtic Guitar Tab

OK, here’s a big wish - wouldn’t it be great for the guitarists among us to be able to post tablature arrangements? (Jeremy, put down that gun!) I have a pretty neat arrangement of Morrison’s Jig that I’d love to share…

Re: Celtic Guitar Tab

Jeff, is there an ABC-like format (free, open, ASCII) for tablature?

I’d love to see what you’ve got though I play rhythm, mostly because I can’t do the the other stuff - but tabs would help. Morrison’s would also make a killer guitar or zouk tune.

TC

Glauber, I don’t know if there’s such a format for TAB - I’ll have to check that out.

TC, until we figure out how to share this stuff, try Morrison’s in DADGAD tuning (if you’re not familiar with that, it’s simple - just tune the guitar strings, lowest to highest, to the notes DADGAD). It gives you some great open-string options!

JeffK

OK, the closest thing I can find to abc for Tablature involves ASCII TAB delimited text files. I don’t really know how to write these properly, but they look like rows of dashes with the fret numbers interspaced in them for each string, kind of like this:

—0—1—-|-4-5—6—3—
———2—-| 1-3—0—0—
—————-|———————-
0——-0—-|—-0——-2-3
0——-0—-|—0——-0—
——————|——————-

That’s pretty unwieldy, but I’ve seen similar things around. They line up better, though. Does anyone know more about this? Is it really just typed out like that, or are there protocols?

JeffK

Take a look at the Mandolin Caf

Posted by .

Jeff, have you ever seen TAB for the flute, just spend a bit of time and learn to read( even if its slow and you have to write the letters below) and get familiar with the note, fret and string, its slow at first, but you could use your ear! i have a lot of tunes as jpeg files for dadgbe that i can send you, but try learning to read, no disrespect intended, bit i play guitar too
Anthony

Jeff and everybody else!
Nothing happens on this thread!? It’s a really good idea to share tabs for guitar and other stringed instruments. Jeremy, could this be done within the forum? I guess it could be as simple as an ongoing thread where we post our contributions, but it would be a a rather clumsy solution. Anyone got ideas?
If it can’t be done within the forum, maybe the ones of us that are interested could do it somewhere else. To provide tabs as txt.files or gif.pictures and have a simple menu-page wouldn’t be to hard.
What do you say?
Lars

Posted by .

Or let’s speak clearly
If we can agree on a simple format on how to publish tabs, I’m willing to provide a homepage for that, which we could link from the session. A simple menu page that leads you to the different tabs. You send the tabs to me - I update the page at least every forthnight. Unless of course Jeremy is willing to do something similar within the forum.
Lars

Posted by .

OK, one thing at a time -

Anthony, my reason for asking about posting TAB wasn’t because I can’t read - I read both sheet music and TAB for guitar fluently. It’s that it makes reading guitar music for trad tunes a lot easier, especially with the alternate tunings (drop-D, DADGAD, etc.) that seem to be popular in this music.

Next, there are plenty of freeware and shareware programs that write TAB. One of the best I’ve seen is Bucket O’ Tab, which can be downloaded free at http://www.antisleep.com/bucket/. It won’t run in Windows NT, though (not sure about 2000 or XP either). It will run in 95 and 98.

Lars, on further investigation I also realized that you have to use a monotype font like Courier to write TAB outside of one of the programs mentioned. You can even do it in Notepad, although it’s awkward - you have to type in a line for the high E string, then Enter, then the B string, enter, etc. and then a hard paragraph for the next line of 6 strings. You can also export from one of the TAB sharewares to an ASCII TAB delimited file, which Notepad can open. This seems to be the easiest and most widely accessible way to publish TAB - it’s what a lot of the TAB sites use, and was the most common format on the sadly defunct OLGA site. BTW, OLGA was shut down for copyright infringement, so anything that gets posted on the page Lars is offering (if he does it) needs to be thoroughly checked out to be sure it’s public domain or he’s going to have headaches!

That said, ASCII TAB and .txt seem to be the best choices, unless every gutarist here downloads the same software (an unlikely event, but within distant possibility), or unless Jeremy has any intentions of including a way to post TAB on The Session. (Although I notice he’s awfully quiet on this thread - hmmm, he must be busily coding our TAB application even as I write this… ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Jeff

The Session is an equal opportunities tune archive. Guitarists won’t be getting any preferential treatment, I’m afraid. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’m with Anthony on this one. Learn to read the dots (or ABC). It’s not that hard.

Jeff
I’m still willing to work with a Tab-page IF there is enough interest from Session-members to PROVIDE tabs.
‘Cos, besides from a few tabs, I’m not interested in writing down a lot of them. I’m interesting to create a platform where we can share what we got.
So, if I get indications that there is such an interest, I’ll start working on it!
BTW I think we should make a general TAB-page for most fretted instrument that we use in ITM, like mandolin, banjo and mountain dulcimer.
And Jeremy. I too read dots perfectly well. That’s not the reason why I’m interested in tabs. As Jeff pointed out earlier, it’s so much more convenient for trad.music when played on these instruments. Especially when you’re working with combined melody and accompaniment. So if you want more than one note at the same time, then ABC and dots provided via ABC isn’t the best solution.
Lars

Posted by .

Dan Mozell has published two books of guitar arrangements for ITM that include regular notation, tab, and chords. I have both and think they’re quite good. you can seed the list of tynes and orderring info at Dan’s site

http://www.danmozell.com/d-mozell.htm

If you dig around on the site, you can find some examples of tunes from the books.

Jeff

As I’ve said before, dots don’t scare me. The only time I even use TAB is when there’s a fairly complex arrangement in an alternate tuning, which makes reading the sheet music awkward and abc notation almost unusable. Any of Richard Thompson’s arrangements come to mind as examples of how TAB can make your life much easier. Actually, even when reading Tab I prefer to have the actual music right above it as a guide - TAB just helps with the fingerings.

JeffK

I just posted a website I found today by accident in the links section, that uses tabs through Tabledit. Hope it helps somebody. ๐Ÿ™‚

Zina