Brady, Molloy, Peoples…any one heard this album

Brady, Molloy, Peoples…any one heard this album

Personally its one of my favourites…
Lots of great sets and tunes - if a little fast at times!

A geeky question now…any one know what way brady tunes his guitar in this album - I know he favours open G in accompanying songs alot, but this album sounds a little different - any one who may know, could you please tell me!!

Thanks
S

Re: Brady, Molloy, Peoples…any one heard this album

I think he uses standard and drop D a lot for backing,
and the Open G and Open D for songs.

Posted by .

Thought so - thanks for that - ill have a go!!!

deseart island disk

Posted .

A classic

can’t stand Brady’s voice….fortunately there is only one song…

Yes, the beauty of programming your CD player

Posted .

It’s dreadful alright - but I like some of his songs.

Stfanpaz - you should check out also the one with just Brady Peoples.

Posted by .

Each to their own - Brady’s a great singer.

Posted by .

I agree, but that song on that album is not his finest hour.
(in my opinion)

Posted by .

To your information: The album BegF is referring to is called ‘The High Part of the Road’.

Another good fiddle/guitar album with Brady is Andy McGann’s “It’s a Hard Road to Travel” or something like that, I’d have to dig it out. My favorite fiddle player too!

there is also the one with Andy Mc Gann and Paddy Reynolds

hmmmm - didnt think id get so many replies!!!

Andy mcganns eh? - sounds like a cracker - is it early days or what?

How people can say they dont like bradys voice cracks me up!!
He is one of the best singers out there - what about “andy irvine / paul brady” probably one of the best folk albums ever -
strange - ! beats the shite out of christy moore anyway.
then again thats the beauty of music different strokes and all that…..

1978 or ‘79 on the Andy McGann one. Fantastic album. I wish he’d recorded more.

Have to disagree about the High Part of the Road.

Paul Brady (the “folk” incarnation) was my hero in my youger days. I nearly killed myself trying to learn the guitar accompaniment to Arthur McBride, Mary and the Soldier, and all the rest of them. I went to every PB & Andy Irvine, and PB solo performance I could, sitting in the front row eyes glued to his fingers. And I enjoyed his singing.

But Paul’s playing on High Part of the Road seems to me to distract from Tommy’s beautiful fiddling. Some parts I have to ask - what was he thinking there? Compared with the tasteful playing of many “lesser mortals” I’ve heard in other performances, it just doesn’t seem to work.

Paul was a tremendous musician in his folk period, and his playing and singing with Andy Irvine was incomparable. It was a thrill to hear him sing again on Altan’s Blue Idol album.

Posted by .

True - I dont consider his later stuff - but thats just me - as a musician he was great - having seen him play many a time - in his own house included, i can appreciate how good he is. just what ireland needed at the time too - some one singin the ulster songs.

I think Brady wants to be heard just a little too much on all of the recordings mentioned above. Fair enough on his solo stuff but his job in a trad context was to back & complement. Neither Andy McGann nor Tommy Peoples needed more than than the minimum of support. Alph Duggan gives a masterclass of mature restraint on Tommy’s “The Quiet Glen” recording that is much more appropriate.

I actually like the albums because of Tommy P. and Andy M. if they were Brady albums I wouldn’t bother.

Is it just me or is everything on this album tuned sharp? The tempos are a little too fast but the playing is stellar regardless. Makes a hassle for playing along. Wonder if that is a result of some studio mishap speeding things up that they preferred the brighter sound. A little anecdote: when Tony McManus was about to back Peoples at a concert without rehearsal, Peoples’ only advice for McManus was that most of the songs were in D. McManus said they were actually closer to Eb…..

I heard ‘The High Part of the road’ through for the first time a few days ago. I seem to remember someone telling me that the fiddle track on this album was recorded alone and the guitar overdubbed later - listening to it, it sounds like this could be the case. No doubt recording in this way was seen as a good thing, as it enabled Brady’s backing to follow more closely the spontaneous variations in Peoples’ fiddle playing. Guitar backing of solo players was probably still somewhat in its infancy then, or at least its childhood, being more at home in a band setting. The result is a recording that sounds somehow not quite natural - it works in theory, but there is no real communication between the two musicians. Comparing

…this album to Tommy’s 1980 album, ‘The Iron Man’ , with Daithí Sproule, the difference is noticeable.

Sorry - I pushed the detonater before time.

GlennP, yes, Tommy Peoples often tunes up a semitone.

Also, Molloy was playing an E flat flute a lot at that time. He said in an interview that Tommy used love to tune up and play with the Eflat flute.

I recollect (not having the wherewithal to play my vinyl at present) that they play in Eflat and then the recording has been speeded up a further semitone so the record’s mostly in E
Or maybe my deck was running fast ….
Anyone know of any other albums that have been speeded up? (Am I starting a new discussion here?)

I wonder if the original master (non-sped up) tapes are out there. Not that they’d be likely to release a version in the original, as-played form. I love to play around with Amazing Slow Downer and change the pitch of some recordings just to change the listening experience. It’s quite a nice result with some recordings.

I may be wrong but the album was thrown together very quickly with almost no rehearsal; indeed Tommy Peoples claims never to have listened to it

I’ve investigated the pitch properly this time, using pitch shift an Eb whistle. Assuming all 3 players are playing Eb instruments/tuning: all tracks apart from Paul’s song and 2 sets of jigs (tracks 6 and 13) have been speeded up by about .7 of a semitone. I see from the notes the tracks were recorded in 3 different studios with different producers, although the overall producer is Donal Lunny. All the speeded up tracks are about the same pitch. I have made myself a copy with all tracks in Eb concert pitch. Imo it sounds better, its still plenty fast. I can’t understand why it should have been speeded up. The need to do that went out with 78rpm records, and I have never come across this on any other itm lp. A mystery!

‘I have never come across this on anyother itm lp’ - try any of the De Dannan records from the early 80’s,
the tunes are in all kinds of strange keys, sometimes a semitone or a whole step # of what you would expect.
Now they might have recorded at concert pitch then the recordings were sped up, or their several accordianists
[variously Mairtin O Connor or Jacky Daly] were playing odd pitched boxes and everyone tuned to them - I dont know, any theories out there?

I think it’s just that they liked the sound played in Eb. Frankie certainly plays fast enough without any requirement to be artificially speeded up.

https://youtu.be/aTQMbSjdgZA

Posted by .

Any examples? I think they’re usually a semi-tone above (with the occasional wobbly pitch which is common in older recordings).

If there’s any album I have problems playing along with (for pitch reasons) it’s Molloy/Brady/Peoples.

This post (in that same old thread) has some info:
https://thesession.org/discussions/35576#comment752214

thanks Kenny, I hadn’t seen that one before- they’re playing in Eb, F min [or dorian] and Ab - could JD
ahieve that on his usual C#/D box ? [i sure as hell couldnt!]

There was another discussion about this recording on this forum that included hearsay that it had been speeded up and the players were not happy about it. Hearsay FWIW.

I used Audacity to “slow the turntable” and bring the pitch down about a semitone. Whether that’s nearer what was actually played I don’t know, but for me it took away the slightly frantic shrillness and made a much more enjoyable CD.

Christy Taylor - when De Dannan (and others) play in keys pitched as a semi-tone above (e.g. Eb, Fm, Ab etc.) it usually means that every stringed instrument is tuned up (or capoed), every wind instrument is pitched in Eb and button accordions are tuned to D/D# (or C/C# depending on the favoured style of the player).

JD definitely uses normal C#/D fingerings in the clip, and if the recording is pitched in Eb (I can’t check that right now), it means that he has a D/D#.

Jeff- yes its definitely Eb, i capoed my zouk on the 1st fret and played along - a D/D# accordion would definitely explain the raised pitch.