Men of Aran and the maple leaf

Men of Aran and the maple leaf

Hi, I

Re: Men of Aran and the maple leaf

Is it Men or "Man of Aran" in which case both it and The Maple Leaf are in Gordon Tyrall’s Irish Choice on page 10, but give me some time and i will try to get the abc together (or is this breach of copyright?

Both are compositions of the Dublin whistle-player Darach de Brun.

Posted by .

Man thanks especially to you donnchad this is a great link…we had a hard time figuring out how that transforming program works but now i`m never gonna ask for sheet music again…you were so helpful !!! Thnaks a lot, very happy, Dagmar

Re: Man of Aran and the Maple Leaf

Hello Kenny and Dagmar. I was just browsing through the Internet and came across this site. My name is Darach de Brun. I am a Uilleann Piper and Tin Whistle player and I did, amongst many others, compose The Maple Leaf and Man of Aran. The Man of Aran was composed in 1975 as a wedding present for Tommy Walsh, a Dublin box player who composed the tune Inis Thoir (Inisheer). The Maple Leaf was composed in 1976 for my own wedding. I had my reception in the Maples Hotel, Dublin, hence the name. Thanks for the interest shown. Enjoy the tunes.

Two of my favourite tunes on the whistle. Been playing them for about 20 years and never tire of them. I never knew who wrote them - So THANKS Darach.

I learnt them originally from a tape of a group called

Re: Man of Aran and the maple leaf

To Breandan. The tape you have of Oisin was made in either 1976 or 1977. I was only two years playing at this stage. This is the original version of these tunes. I was a special guest on that LP. Two other comositions of mine are also on that LP, "Terry’s Travels", and "Walk of the Fiddler’s Bride", a wedding march I composed for the Fiddler player in the group, Mick Davis and his wife Eithne. I have a tape of a tape of a tape of that LP, otherwise I don’t know myself if it is still available. Darach.