Oisin MacDiarmada’s gear

Oisin MacDiarmada’s gear

Ok, I know that a lot of it is the player and recording gear. But I love the tone of Oisin MacDiarmada’s fiddle. Anyone happen to know what instrument he plays, and strings used. Hard to find this stuff out.

Re: Oisin MacDiarmada’s gear

Just send him an email. He’s a real gentelman and very approachable. Ask him while you’re at it what he uses in the way of pickup/mic/preamp as that may be part of the sound he gets that you like.
He answers the emails to Ceolproductions himself.

I second that one — I seem to be following you around and parroting your answers a lot today, Donough! 🙂 Oisin is a great guy and very friendly. I’m sure he’ll be happy to tell you if you ask him. Oh, and please tell us what he replies, I’d quite like to know too, meemtp!

Don’t forget to ask Oisin about his bow - that’s as an important part of the sound making process as the fiddle, strings, pickup etc. But be aware that strings and other things that work for one player on his fiddle might not necessarily be the best for you with your set-up.
I met Oisin last year (2003) at Clonmel. A couple of days before one of the tie-rods on my chinrest had stripped its thread during a workshop and I therefore had to play without it. Oisin, who doesn’t use a chinrest or shoulder-rest, encouraged me and said it takes only a few days to get used to playing without the rests. His advice was friendly and sound (and I have followed it ever since).
Trevor

Let me say it`s primarily Oisin as a player that produces his tone,
he has a very unique touch on his instrument.
I`d say it would be quite impossible to get the same effect with whatever fiddle ,bow or equipment you might change over to.
It was like when I saw Dermot Byrne about 12 yrs ago.
he had a salterelle box,it sounded amazing,so, I got one,and, I sounded worse than I had previously,and fiddlers have much more to do with tone production than any other type of instrument,then you have intonation etc also.
but,having said all that,it`s good to have good gear and can make some difference,
back to nursing my hangover,
Peter

Oisin MacDiarmada…..that sounds a bit like a type of disease you might pick up on a cruise-ship

But I would also be interested to find out what set-up he uses

I heard that Oisin had been taken very ill, lately, though he’s on the mend now. So you might want to send him some get-better-wishes, while you’re at it, meemtp - or anybody else who wants to wish him well.

Posted by .

Oh, I hope he’s ok. I hadn’t heard that. I think I’ll hold of on gear queries then and leave it at a get-well greeting.

Shouldn’t you be focusing on the pipes, meemtp? ;-P
Got your practice set working yet?

Justine

Er, um, yeah Justine you’re right! Just working on the long notes at this point. That and learning the intracacies of keeping a reed behaving in New England this time of year! 🙂

Corin

Ha! Figured that out. His fiddle sounds different on the tracks that are solo fiddle or fiddle/zouk or guitar. He’s tuned down to B. Using Amazing Slow Downer, I had to raise the pitch on playback 2 steps.