burning of the piper’s hut?

burning of the piper’s hut?

i’ve been trying to find the notes for this tune, with no luck. does it have another name? or can someone point me to a source for the music?

thanks!

sarah cardin

Re: burning of the piper’s hut?

Sarah, I’ve got the dots. I’ll post it in Em, which works well for fiddle or D whistle or flute. A friend here does it in Am on a low G whistle.

Posted .

There’s a good version of it in the book "English,Welsh,Scottish&Irish Fiddle Tunes" by Robin Willamson. I think it’s still in print. Any bookstore can get it by referencing the ISBN #. For the edition I have its ISBN 0-8256-0165-7.

Posted by .

Yep, I was going to mention the Williamson book too, but some of his settings are just bizarre. In the case of Burning of the Piper’s Hut, though, he does a good job of showing some of the possibilities for ornamentation. It’s also in Bm in the book, another good key for this tune on fiddle (just move up a string from the Em version I posted in the archives here).

Posted .

i’m not even going to tell anyone that i have the williamson book & it didn’t occur to me to check it. nope nope nope. won’t tell.

embarassedly yours,
sarah cardin

That’s okay Sarah, ‘cause now everybody at The Session gets to see/hear the tune. πŸ™‚ I rarely crack the covers on my copy of Williamson’s book—the settings just aren’t my cup of tea. But I remembered that this one was in there…it’s weird but after so many years with this music, you get a sixth sense about which tunes are on what recordigns, or in what book, or are played at which session…everything but which tunes are in your own repertoire. Yikes.

Posted .

Interesting title for a tune… Does anyone have a story for it? Do pipers have enemies?
Should I be looking into fire insurance? πŸ™‚

-Dirk

Posted by .

After the Battle of Culloden Moor in 1746 the English outlawed weapons, clan Tartans and pipers. The pipers held ceremonial clan positions and the English were intent on removing them as a cultural rallying point so they were diposessed and their homes burned.

This policy of social genocide was used against the Irish also. The clan harpers were the first to go which allowed the fiddlers and pipers to rise to prominence. Then the language, the saying of Mass, sports (hurling and Gaelic football) and dancing were outlawed. I,ve heard, but don’t quote me on this, that lilting took the place of instruments at local dances because all they had to do was stop when the bailiffs showed up and there would be no physical evidence that any dance had been taking place.

Posted by .

I’ve heard that too, AOG. But it’s NOT true that the arms are held down to the sides when Irish stepdancing because people looking through windows and over hedges wouldn’t be able to tell you were dancing that way. πŸ™‚

Zina

The arm thing

Why is it, then? πŸ™‚

Re: the arm thing

Yeah - why were they so strict about the arms in stepdancing? It seems strange to me because tune playing isnt strict at all, everyone has their own style playng tunes etc.

Posted by .

Oh. Well, originally, Irish dancers did use their arms. There’s plenty of documentation of dancers with hands on hips, snapping fingers in the air, even clapping and waving them about during the step (Connemara stepdancers still do use their arms).

Then (insofar as anyone can tell) sometime late 1800’s to very early 1900’s, a dance master had his/her students keep their arms down at their sides so that the judge would concentrate only on their legs and feet. The students placed very well. Since the Irish are extremely….let’s call it competitive, shall we?, soon everyone was doing it. And suddenly, it was "traditional." (Not unlike the famous and popular "daughter of Erin" dresses, which have gotten more and more decorated since their original simple inceptions, which are "traditional" to about, oh, say, 1945 or so. We have plenty of pics of dancers in their street clothes dancing in feisanna before the Daughter of Erin dresses — and wigs — made it big, in some cases quite literally.)

It’s interesting — most people don’t realize that the stepdancing form that most people know about (from Riverdance, or even before that) is Munster, or southern, style dancing and that there are other forms of stepdancing. Each of the major sections (heck, even every county and sometimes even towns) have their own style of dancing, all of them lovely and fun to watch, with some very different governing rules from Munster style. (A lot of them are lumped under the general heading of sean-nos dancing, rather a shame.)

BTW, many dance masters were also musicians, and often played or lilted for their students as they learned or practised a step (back in the day before portable CD and tape players!). Many a master was known by a nickname like "Paddy Star of Munster" as they would often use one certain reel or whatever to teach a step to.

History lesson for your day. πŸ™‚ I’m off to go get my hair played with — something different, I think. I don’t know what yet. Should be interesting. Heh.

Zina

Glad to hear someone else thinks Robin Williamson’s settings are weird. I thought it was just me!

I think I heard " The Burning of the Piper’s Hut" on an old Battlefield Band album, but maybe in another key, and by another name. Sure sounds familiar. I’ll have to add it to my "to learn" list. I’ve been going through the tune archives and using the Concertina Net abc converter to hear the tunes. I love Bang Your Frog on the Sofa, Will! I’m going to learn it in honor of the advice that lead me to decent triplet playing πŸ™‚

Hey Zina, send us a jpeg of your new hairstyle. Especially if it’s "interesting" !

Thanks Christine. I get a chuckle out of the notion that we both think Robin Williamson’s book is weird but we’ll play a tune called Bang Your Frog on the Sofa….

Check the comment section under Bang Your Frog. I’ll post some of the minor tweaks I’ve given the tune since I first started playing it.

I can see Zina now…a veritable fireworks display of strawberry blonde ringlets *SNORT*

Posted .

Don’t laugh. It might happen. *snicker* I had to cancel the appointment and move it to next week — I have two dresses to get out the door by Friday night! About to go pull an all nighter. See you guys in 48 hours or so. Heh.

Zina

Not strawberry blonde…I’m thinking more fire -engine -reddish *GUFFAW* Aww, but she’ll probably disappoint us and just get some subtle highlights. Sigh….

Hmm, you’re right Will. Depending on the company, I might just call the tune…"The Frog". That sounds more dignified, no? On second though, fergettaboudit. I’ll call it by the name it was written under. The reactions will be worth seeing!

Soon as I learn the tune I’ll try out your tweaks…

The burning question of my hair

From the burning of the piper’s abode to my hair? How did that happen? Blame it on Will!

*grin* Don’t laugh about the red thing. It’s happened before. And last Halloween I wore a platinum blond wig as part of an angel costume — I got so many compliments about how cute it looked that I sincerely thought about bleaching my hair out, but couldn’t face the roots work as my hair grows very fast.

My hair right now has a purple cast to it in the sun. You can’t see it outside of a strong light source, but it’s there. I don’t know, maybe blond highlights, those are pretty popular right now with the Asian crowd — I guess in Japan right now everyone is dyeing their hair. I’m thinking just a nice strong hunk of blond highlights on the right side of my part. Heh.

Do you know, I still haven’t tried listening to Bang Your Frog, much less play it. Will, you should record it for The Mighty Crack if you haven’t already.

Zina