First date!!

First date!!

At our session on Sunday night one of the guys turned up with a girl who quietly sat next to him through the session as he played away. We only found out after they had left that they were out on a date - their first date!!

Just wondered what people thought of this. It certainly surprised us that anyone would bring someone along to the session for a date, particularly their first one. It does not allow for much conversation.

Bets being taken now as to whether they will reach their second date.

πŸ™‚

P.S. Mr Gill, just so as you know, for added spice to the conversation he plays the bodhran. Hey maybe she could come back with him on Wednesday bringing a shaky egg or some spoons.

Re: First date!!

Never underestimate the power of true lust. If she actually agreed to accompany him, knowing what it involved, their future is bright. And there’s something about the Throb of the Drum…

Sorry. Family site.

Anyway, my first date with my dear husband was on a caving trip. Ample opportunity for conversation, not much glamor.

Wouldn’t be my idea of fun!
Bodhrans aside, 1st dates are for gettin all the ‘preliminaries’ over and done with, ie name address siblings bedroom abilities.
Sorry skip that last one, that’s supposed to come later…
…anyway I think its a tiny bit naive bringin some poor girl on a date and makin her sit there all night listenin to a bodhran - its kinda sayin: ‘look at me and my big stick, I’m brilliant’

sorry! …siblings, bedroom abilities!
…just goes to show how important commas are…

Oh, WiN!! Where’s your sense of romance?? She has admired him and his stick from afar for months. Besides, maybe they really are lousy at making conversation. Maybe they are both of the "Thin lies, thick smoke, and loud, loud music " persuasion.

My girlfriend passed the 6-hour concertina test — her foot was still tapping at the end of the marathon didly-di squak fest. I think that was the night I proposed marriage to her actually.

Ha ha!

So what you’re sayin is that she only wants him for his stick-abilities and not his wit?
I’d love to know did they go on a 2nd date!?
-was she impressed enough with his stick to sit through another ‘date’ of his ego-boosting…

Oops

sorry jack that was to batlady - I wasn’t laughin at your didly squakin…

Hah! I laugh at your didly squakin, Jack.
Yes, WiN, we need to know the outcome of this little drama. But his stick-ing may wear thin. If she takes up the fiddle, they are doomed.

Maybe he should get a bigger stick…

ho ho…in u end oh !

Posted by .

First Date at a Session?? They must be mad or am I Mad? Well dating nowadays can so formal sitting at a table in soon cafe. Anyway dinners can just be as much as a conversation stopper as playing music and tunes only last 10 minutes?

Met my girl at a session, so clearly we had a lot in common, Irish music,alcohol, oh, and other stuff! is that enough commas?

But Jack, did she accept?

All I know is, I’ve never met Jack’s alleged wife, after months and months in SF!

Zina. How true is that. How many of the people that we play with for years have partners that we’ve never seen?!

I’ve been with my boyfriend for three months and I have yet to bring him to a session. I think he’d enjoy it, but I can also see him being bored out of his mind, sitting at the bar alone while I play tunes and laugh with my friends. I dunno, just doesn’t seem like a prime date activity, unless you’re playing together. Maybe the guy who brought his girl was just showing off…? It’s nice to have a non-muso boyfriend…he doesn’t get angry when I want to go to a session, and I don’t get angry when he wants to watch football on Sunday. We both have our separate things.

Cara

Yeah, Cara — I never ever ask Pete to come along to the feisianna with me, either. Now that he plays, sessions are no brainers, though!

I remember a session where one of the fiddlers had his girlfriend seated on his knee for the entire time while he played. No shortage of chairs, just true love.

Posted by .

Yeah, but then there’s also the times you’re playing with someone in the circle who is also in the middle of an argument with their spouse…now THAT’s not a fun time…

Okay, so it can tell you a lot about how things are going to go. I once brought my ‘friend’ to the session- just for dinner and to listen- I didn’t actually play that night… but I chatted with a few of my friends on our way out. That alone made him so jealous that he left without me!!! (ah,,, but did she listen….)

Posted by .

My experiences have taught me that a session is probably the worst place for a first date. Even if I have no intention of playing, I find myself whistling tunes and not necessarily paying attention to what the girl is saying. Even on subsequent dates when the girl claims to understand my passion for the music, it’s still a bit awkward. I can’t imagine having the, er, guts to actually play in a session for a first date.

Well, Zina, you might actually remember that OUR first date was a superbowl party at my house! A session is easily as romantic as that, although, the alcohol is more expensive.

Why you ever married me, I’ll never know. (And I seem to remember you asking me to go to feisianna - I can’t think of any reason why I would have been to more than ONE otherwise) πŸ˜‰

Pete

I know a man who took a first date to see "Scum" at the movies, there was no second date.
The session is good wholesome entertainment and ideal for a first date. It’s the long time spouses that have a problem with it πŸ™‚

Posted by .

Set The Recond Streagh On First Date?

This discussion has come back on me personaly. Here’s how a first date really goes at a session and It’s fresh off the press since Sunday. Well a person goes off to hear a folk group on a Saturday night and meet the girl of his dream. The girl says I would like togo to the session with you on Sunday.

Let me tell you Mr. Cassidy and Friends it’s well and good to start discussion’s on how great Willie Clancy is or who’s the best piper in the World this goes deeper then that, like people have feeling it just isn’t right. And Why Do People have to alway’s make thing’s bigger then ever if they didn’t the story at all.

To you how uses the words shows off you could be??????
Music Session’s are never about showing off to anyone, it just being their is the thing. Trad Music is the music of the land, sea and sky. The bird’s, mammal’s and the fish. Our people’shistory and event’s from past. You need to have no under standing of trad to show off at a session. So how sad if you to say Maybe he is just showing off.

What it was like? The best session I had in along time. It was the feeling when you meet someone really special and your on top of the world and not even the world ending could break your happiness. Well take feeling and put it in to playing and your playing will come out nice and happy. IT’S GREAT AND BETTER THEN ANYTHING! And I was very lucky man for her to put up with my playingπŸ™‚ Bless Her.

So people before jumping the gun with ur Silly stories of stick’s and what nots their feelings involved. And Alistair be careful on Sunday a Bodhran stick may go way. SO LOOK OUT! πŸ™‚

That’s me finished with this Discussion full stop didn’t want to hear anymore about it. Ye can say what you like now, but I’m just happy I get my point across.
$πŸ™‚

Unless your long time spouse decides to start playing ITM as a defense mechanism πŸ˜‰

Pete

Re: SET THE RECOND STREAGH ON FIRST DATE?

You on drugs?

Jason! Hi, dude! How’s it going? David Alcock, does this mean that the second sprog is now a reality? If so, CONGRATULATIONS!!! (To all four of you. πŸ™‚

Er…what point was that, exactly? ;)

To misquote Black Adder: "Your exsistance, Baldrick, is like a blunt pencil: pointless".

Maybe it’s just me, but the post actually seemed to make sense. My interpretation: Celtic Hippy is the guy Alistair was referring to in the "First Date" thread. He is upset that his date is the subject of international comment and speculation, and that people were suggesting that he was just trying to show off to his girlfriend. He really enjoyed bringing his date to the session, which was at her request. In fact, he’s so upset that he’s finished with TheSession.

Posted by .

Ah HA…a nice job of linking stuff up, Greg!

Well, I don’t see any problem. You innocently ask a girl out, and two days later, a bunch of incorriglble gossips several time zones away are speculating on all sorts of private matters. Anyone who has hung out here should know that anything is possible. Tsk.. Such bad behavior!

Maybe Tanya IS haunting the yellow board…

Perhaps a useful reminder that the session world is, after all, a rather small place in some ways…
Not sure he’s finished with the yellow board, though; it sounds more to me like he just doesn’t want to talk about it anymore. Well, good cess to him and his girl.

Oh, phew, thought I’d missed it! Be sure to let us know when the sprog is sprung!

So,… there’s a second date????

Posted by .

Only kidding Celtic Hippy, you old romantic, no offence meant.

OK Celtic Hippy,

Really sorry for this thread. I really didn’t mean any offence and thought the whole thing could just remain anonymous. I guess it is easy to get caught up in the yellow board and forget that EVERYONE reads it.

The session on Sunday really was great (and linking into another thread, small - only four of us). Everyone seemed to be having a good time and it was just very relaxed. Last night was packed to the rafters but still fun. I think it was just the worry of incoming heat-seaking bodhran tippers that was making me a little more edgy than normal. Or at least that is my excuse for my playing. πŸ™‚

Anyway last night there was this guy who……….

cAlLm DoWn, BrIBanJo; DeEp CleAnSinG BrEAthES…

There, isn’t that better?

Ride me like a pony?
This must be one of those banjo player’s jokes, like ….
Q. What’s a banjo player’s idea of extended foreplay?
A. Giving dobbin two sugar cubes

….
?

Zina, you haven’t met my wife because she’s just a cardboard cut-out I got from a discarded billboard advert I found behind Macy’s. How do you think she was able to pass the 6-hour concertina test? She also listens intently to all my great stories about myself, and she’s fascinated with my political views. Someday I’ll introduce you… don’t worry.

Uh huh. My worst fear is that you’ll have to blow her up first, Jack… *smirk*

Re: Rating Sessions

"iT GOES ON A BIT IN THE CARDINAL WOLSEY …"

There’s what we need! Not so much a rating system as a series of objective reviews… πŸ˜‰

Posted by .

yes everyone, dont be mean here. i have bit my tongue on some things when i knew i should because then this happens. i even had someone once email me for a comment i had said here jokingly. haha, he understand and wasnt mad, he just wanted to know to what i was referring to. the confusing thing is they read here a lot but they dont have a single post to their name so you dont know who is here.

celtic happy, glad she wanted to come and glad you had a good time! many more happy dates, session and otherwise.

Posted by .