Box CD’s?

Box CD’s?

Howya all,
My darling, parnter in life girlfriend recently got one of those internet CD-gift-certificate-thingys and, as she has recently been obsessed with the box, wants to get some good box CD’s… Any suggestions? Being all-antipodean we aint got exposure to the latest and greatest, and me darling loves her P.J. Hernon, Tony MacMahon and Brendan Begley and such..

(she keeps asking me but, seeing as I only play/listen to real instuments, I aint helping.)

Any Ideas?

Re: Box CD’s?

Good lord, it’s Sir Nose. Hey, hope you’re doing well. Let’s see, how about Mick McAuley, John Williams, Joe Derrane, Mairtin O’Connor, Karen Tweed, Mary Rafferty, Paddy Ryan, Peter Carberry, Séamus Begley, Sharon Shannon, Alan Kelly, Jackie Daly, *deep breath*, Joe Burke, Sheamus Heneghan, Josephine Marsh, Andrew McNamara…ah hell, just go to Custy’s Music, http://www.custysmusic.com, and plug in "accordion" into the search engine. 🙂

Cheers the Zina, It’s good to be back
(nothing like a new full-time employment-with-broadband-internet-thingy to re-ignite the flame…)
Wonderous list! My minds been a blank for days and then I see your list and It all falls into place…
Except… I can’t help but notice the sneaky slipping of Karen Tween into the mix… A button-box is a psuedo-instrument at best but a PIANO-THINGY!!

Get the Joe Cooley cd, and don’t forget Dermot Byrne.

Howz about a tutorial cd as well?

Posted .

Ooo, new job — congrats. Hope it doesn’t get too in the way of your life. 🙂 Hey, Karen Tweed is still cool. 🙂

I’m just here to second Zina’s Martin O’Connor recommendation. I’ve been listening to "The Connaughtman’s Rambles" for the zillionth time, and wondering why it’s such a great record. I bought it when it first came out because I liked the picture on the cover ("That’s a Connaughtman?"), but I ended up being a huge box fan.

The two records from Charlie Piggott, "The Lonely Stranded Band" with Miriam Collins, and "The New Road" with Gerry Harrington, are also a lot of fun if you’re into the C#/D thing.

What flavour of box does MizNose play?

Posted by .

Get Mick McAuley’s solo album, "An Ocean’s Breadth"… good stuff

Me Larni’s already got the Mad4Trad Tute CD… and the P.J.Hernon Video. All good.

Yeah, the jobs alright, but just a sneaky means to get the cash together for my latest pilgrimage to Ennis. Sweet Ennis. A Mate of Mine’s over there at the moment and his email updates are painful to read. gotta get back.

And Karen Tweed’s Like Butterscotch Schnapps, beautiful in small doses ;)

Conor McCarthy on Ace and Deuce; Billy McComiskey with Trian and on Making the Rounds. Both the players are skilled users of the bass side of a two row button box and the recordings are engineered in a way show this skill.

Posted by .

A few by Irish players living down here in Australia are amongst my favs

Self-Titled CDs by Joe Fitzgerald and Billy Moran and one of my all-time faves Caoilte O’Suilleabhain "Beyond Leaving". A truly beautiful album!

Hey - has anyone mentioned Bobby Gardiner, or either of the Paddy O’Brien’s yet?

Owww! What’s this against piano-yokes? You obviously haven’t heard 2 of our own here: Conán McDonnell and Pete Mays…and thirdly, Christian Vaughan-Spruce…Jeeesis, what a player is Christian!

Anyways, good to see you back among this gang of mouths, Nose.

Also, Johnny B. Connolly’s "Bridgetown" cd, with Kevin Burke adding fiddle to several tracks.

Posted .

Yep - too right - young Johnny’s album is honey.

Jeez, ya turn ya back for half a second and everyone posts! MizNose (iLike that!) plays a B-C.

Scuse Ignorance, but is Johnny B. Connolly related to the great Johnny Connolly? Jeez, me’n bb used to have great tunes with the man out in Connemarra..
And "The Lonely Stranded Band" Went Straight on the list. Bloody great album that, aint heard it in years. AND I totally forgot Caoite had an Album. We’ve already got joe Fitz’s and Billy’s (ah the Melbourne Box Crew) but I found them both a bit dissapointing, neither really caputred the greatness of the men.

Ah bugger, got get back to work…

Omigod, I can’t believe I forgot to mention Billy McComiskey and Johnny B. Connolly!

The Shame, the Shame…

Yes, I’m totally overcome. 🙂

Yeah, I’m A bit of a Bill McComiskey fan. As a Flutey-type-guy someone once gave me that Hack album by Chris Norman "the North-somthing" and it was completely painful until Mr McComiskey’s sweet playing lifted one tune near the end. Then he stopped playing and the album went kack again.

Steady now, Zina - just one mention of Billy McComiskey’s name and you’ve gone all swoony!

:~}

There is a great awl’ box player from Wexford, who lives in London, but I haven’t seen him for years, Paddy Hayes, who had won the All-Ireland on both the box (B/C) and concertina, a great guy, really funny (as in humorous) and a gent at the same time. He has been recorded but not much, and has an easy, fluent relaxed style. He’s just an example of the many great box players around who are superbly talented, but who are hardly ever heard of - then there’s Aidan Coffey, Luke Daniels, Gary O’Brien - the list goes on…

I was dead chuffed last night when Foxy introduced me to another box player, saying I was deadly talented. What a white lie, I know about 20 tunes, but thanks the Fox anyway.

Now I’m gonna go and pull the rug from under Zina all together.

I’ll recommend a certain indy cd, Shake the Blossom Early, which Sir and Miz Nose will enjoy to no end for the songs, and also a tasty spot of piano accordion from our own Conán McDonnell.

Posted .

Should Zeens, Danny, and the rest of us start a contest to see into how many threads we can reasonably insinuate favorable mention of Helen’s new cd?

Posted .

Yes, I’m seconding nfiddle’s recommendation of Mick McAuley’s "An Ocean’s Breadth." Fantastic album - you’ll love it.

hehehe. Hey, Billy McComiskey has the world’s sexiest…box. Really. 🙂 Unfortunately, he has a gorgeous wife (and a couple of gorgeous sons as well), and I have my handsome husband, sooooo… 🙂

And of COURSE, Conan doesn’t need a mention, because he’s a given, isn’t he? 🙂

Tony MacMahon and Noel Hill "I gNoc na Grai"
Jackie Daly & Seamus Creagh (self - titled)

Also an irish/newfy compilation called "Island to Island" - features some terrific box playing from Aiden Coffey and Graham Wells.

Cheers.

Johnny B is indeed the son of the mighty Johnny !!

_Steph_, how’s the rest of the Island to Island cd? I’d get it for the Graham Wells stuff, but there’s probably some fiddle and flute on there as well. Any older Newfie box guys?

Posted by .

SirN., don’t be slagging Chris Norman around Billy. He’s a fan. Norman’s cds are kind of Classical/Baroque-influenced (a bit much for me, too), but he’s a great player and worth going to see if you ever get the chance. Billy said he’s the only flute-player he’d ever met who could play Eb reels full speed on a D flute.

And don’t forget John Regan when you’re doing your shopping. He’s got a cd called "Let Down the Blade" with Paddy Glackin. Great stuff altogether.

Posted by .

I like Brendan McCarthy’s (of Danu) box playing; and also Shane (not sure, there’s two Shane’s in this band) somthing-or-other’s boxing in Dervish.

NOT that I want this to turn into a Chris-Norman’s-Bollocks session, but I have seen the man live and will take all efforts in the future to prevent this happening again.

And pbassnote, I think you raise an interesting point about Shane (McAleer? I dunno, I’m just guessing), Coz I actually don’t think he’s that great, but in the context of seeing Dervish live, and their recordings (their earlier stuff, "Spirit" is just bloody awful) they create a sound that is FAR greater than the sum of its parts.

Right you are - the Chris Norman stuff might be an acquired taste, or maybe it’s a Canadian thing. Trust me on the box stuff though! 😉

Posted by .

Done and done, u the box man. (its very brave of you to admit that in public ;o)

I just heard some of the tracks off of an upcoming McComiskey release. The finishing touches are being put on it but it’s full of the fantastic box playing that Billy is known for.
Some great standards with a fresh touch on them, some "instant traditional" original music (Billy really shines as a composer) and a waltz that’ll have you in tears.
I heard John Doyle on some tracks, and Liz Carroll on others and might have missed the others because I was so busy trying to pick out all those wonderful box phrasings.
There is a small, select group of CD’s that never leave my car (my premium music listening time) because they are the best of the best - this CD is going to be one of those.
Get the word out ->
I dont have a release date, but I’d guess sometime in the next few months. fyi: Posting date Nov. 2007