What if?

What if?

…you hadn’t heard Planxty/ Bothies/De Danann/Altan/Dervish or whoever and never got switched on to this stuff? Or never stumbled on this site?
Where would you be now?

Re: What if?

Gaelic Storm got me switched on! isn’t that terrible?

Definately NOT where I am right now….

Posted by .

Playing Welsh tunes from my grandparents’ gymanfa tunebooks on my little bronze-strung harp, but sans fiddle or larger harp.
Mostly listening to jazz and classical music.
A good couple of thousand dollars richer, but a lot unhappier.

Good thread, Danny.

fishing

If my wife hadn’t been introduced to Irish set dancing and I to the Music four years ago by our friend Tom Whelan (who passed away last week, R.I.P) I’d still be playing cello in Bristol Concert Orchestra in addition to the two chamber orchestras I still play in. I suspect by now I would be feeling some dissatisfaction that I wouldn’t be able to put my finger on.
Learning the fiddle has certainly given me a new lease of musical life, and Herself can’t keep away from the set dancing.

Trevor

Actually the reason I wanted to play the fiddle was to learn this music…guess I would be actually doing some work right now instead of cruising my passion…

probably a strat with twin marshalls

Posted by .

Still bating the heads off buachalauns in Tipp with a hurley and wondering why I never made the county team

Either in jail or dead..or maybe I’d have done something sensible with my time.

harry, a great little box player from north mayo (my dad) switched me on

and showed me how to play ‘miss mc’cloud’s’ by ear on a little organ (bought in woolworths), but the weird bit is when i was sent up the road to my 1st piano lesson, it was a guitar teacher by mistake …

if i didn’t have this injection of MMG (mad music gene) from an early age, it’s a safe bet i would of been a zoological taxonimist

Well, the real risk is that my old-timey work-mate across the corridor might have seduced me into frailin banjo tunes. then I’d be going to a ‘pick’ not a session.

I’d be playing keyboards in a Latin jazz band.

I was playing Irish trad long before I heard the players of the day playing it, your shown here first and then you get influenced later!

Hmm….

The physicists have a name for this, it’s called the "weak anthropic principle" — which goes something like…

"if we weren’t here and if the universe didn’t work as it does then we couldn’t ask why we’re here and why the universe works like it does."

Posted by .

My fiddle would be sitting in a cupboard untouched - as it was for the 10 years betwen giving up classical playing and discovering real music!

I’d still be at the cauldron trying to transmute base metal into gold 🙂

Posted by .

Hey Eliot, maybe somewhere out there in the multiverse exist universes wherein exists a version of each one of us not playing the music!

creepy, huh?

I don’t believe in if anymore. I believe in Roger Whittaker!

If I hadn’t discovered the music, I’d prolly still be ambling through life with this nagging feeling that something was missing.

Posted by .

Ah, Q - I think I’ve discovered your true identity - you’re Arthur Dent, aren’t you?

Hey, did you know that basically all the universe is based on music?

First of all, there’s the sun which apparently sends out sounds, at a pitch like an instrument.

Then, there’s this thing called String Theory. There are these little strings of matter smaller than protons which make up the universe, explain black holes and say that there are alternate realities. Also you can travel through time buy bending space.

Whoa!

(Of course, all of this can only happen IF this theory proves correct, which I kind of hope it does-I’ll have some abuse to hurl at those snobby people who think they’re above everything and only listen to ‘chamber music’).

Yeah, it’s a string throughtime and other dimensions, innit?

I’d still be wandering around confused. True.

Posted by .

I do make fantastic sandwiches, Danny.

The movie should be coming out soon, btw. Looking forward to it. Tim from the The Office is playing me.

Posted by .

Well, I might be listening to Scottish and other music all the time. However, even this would be different as the Irish influences have been so strong. Also, there wouldn’t be sessions quite the same as we know them today.

okay okay, I’ll behave. No more obtuse meandering. I promise!

🙂

Posted by .

Yeah - it looks great - from the little that can be gleaned from the trailer and the gallery.

So essentially there is agreement

The universe would either

1) Not exist at all, or

2) Come to an immediate end

if there were no ITM

Glad that’s settled.

Posted by .

" I’d still be at the cauldron trying to transmute base metal into gold 🙂"

Which I managed to do last week… and then I picked up the fiddle and forgot how I did it…..

Depressed and trying to fit in with every other idiot at school.
Thank you Fiddlers’ Bid for getting me hooked on trad

The trail’s too long to follow. If I didn’t play, I’d probably have not started stepdancing. If I’d not started stepdancing and therefore teaching for my school, I’d not have stayed in Colorado following a divorce. If…

Well, life would be a lot more humdrum, BUT I would be in a lot better shape. Unfortunately, time formerly spent biking ridiculous distances is now spent playing fiddle. There are only so many hours in the day….

I’d have heard some other kind of music and got switched onto that, probably. I could well have ended up where I am anyway, since it was as much an intellectual interest as it was inspiration that got me into this music.

I’d almost certainly be just as penniless - perhaps with less excuse.

Mountain Goat, what’s this?

"I’d almost certainly be just as penniless - perhaps with less excuse.

A musician friend of mine assures me that he makes scores of dollars a year playing music…..
;-]

Is there really a Dog?

And you’ll note there’s always a Cat, as well.

Picking dinosaur bones out of the dirt in Africa. Or analyzing core samples in a geology lab somewhere.

Cara

I’d be gone even more insane than I am already

I cannot fathom…