Louis McManus d. 12/12/2004

Louis McManus d. 12/12/2004

Louis McManus passed away on Sunday morning at the age of 48. A very sad loss for traditional music, particularly in Australia. A great musician, and a very good man.

Rest in peace, Louis.

http://www.louismcmanus.com

Re: Louis McManus d. 12/12/2004

RIP Louis.
Although I’ve heard some great recordings of him on fiddle and mandolin, the only times I saw him play (in the 70s) he was flatpicking guitar with the Bushwackers

Posted by .

It is my regret that I never got to hear Louis play especially flat-picking on guitar, as I believe he was one of the best. 48yrs is too soon for him to depart this world.

Donough, don’t know if you have seen Jim Fisher who plays guitar with Perth group "Sensitive New Age Cowpersons" - he also played guitar in the Bushwackers about the time, or just after Louis - although he is mainly a country/bluegrass player, he can certainly pick the Irish & Scottish tunes.

There are some (not great quality) mp3s of Louis playing guitar, mandolin & fiddle on his site.

Posted by .

I know Louis’ cousin Mairead McManus a truly amazing flute player from Glasgow, she told me about him and it sounds to me he will be a great loss to the world of music god rest his soul.

At least its re asuring to know that Mairead will carry on the great McManus tradition through her amazing flute playing.

God rest Louis McManus’ soul

Sam

I had the good fortune to catch Louis live a few times in the late 70’s, during his time with the Bushwackers. They were putting on hugely successful ‘bush dances’ all around the country. Louis’ dance music was inspirational and many thousands of Australians will never forget those exciting times.

BTW, we shouldn’t forget another of Louis’ brilliant musical cousins, Tony McManus, the Scottish guitar virtuoso.

Re: Goodbye my friend

Louis

I’ll miss forever your impish smile and wicked humour you shared with us all.
The magical music and encouragement that you gave to me I can never repay.
I wish that I had the time to say a final farewell.

Your music and memory will live on in my heart always.

Love forever

Michael O’Connor

They say only the good die young - and he was bloody good …