Prediction time……

Prediction time……

Okay ya’ll it’s GRY. Your favorite mate. So I have an activity for you. Since a great deal of you here like to judge without any basis or very little, it’s time to put that to use.

Very soon I will be posting a link to a tune. Well it won’t be just any ole’ tune. It will be….you guessed it….a Hip Hop ITM fusion. The people in on it with me are a fiddle player(world class), a harp player(world class) and a singer(she’s the girl going to Ireland with me). I will be playing bodhran and producing the track also.

So now it’s your turn to speak….judgments let em’ rip…Let me know how you think it’s going to sound.

Oh yeah if your wondering who named me the best bodhran player? It was your own people in Ireland and those famous musicians you love so much…for example, Steve of Gaelic Storm or Kevin from the Cheiftans….just letting you guys know I don’t ever want to be the best….growing is too much fun…

PEACE
GRY

Posted by .

Re: Prediction time……

"Gaelic Storm" is from Ireland? Gry, you might want to research your glorious self-promotional claims before you make them — Steve’s a Yank. And Kevin Conneff is a very very very nice man.

I don’t remember you being judged by anyone here either, now that I think about it. Unless you consider observations about your shameless self promotion to be judgmental. But those are just observations. Oh, and when did anyone say they loved "Gaelic Storm" so much? I can’t remember them even being mentioned since I’ve been here.

How on earth can I know how it’s going sound until I hear it?

KFG

Posted by .

I was keeping my mouth firmly shut about Gaelic Storm, but I might as well come right out with it: I know they’re famous and all but I heard an album the other day and I was surprised how much it stunk. That is them, right? The Titanic band? (All of a sudden I’m confused - seems to me there’s another band called "Celtic Storm" that *doesn’t* stink. Or maybe it’s the other way around).

I should apologize in case the members of that Titanic band or their mothers ever read this horrifying review - it’s not meant to be anything personal, I’m sure you’re all very nice people. It’s just that your album happens to be the second most laughable ITM recording I’ve ever heard (a very distant second, in fact, after "Barbados Blue").

David, about that Gaelic Storm CD you got for X-mas and didn’t listen to; how do you think it’s going to sound?

OK, the not-sucking group I’ve heard tell of would be "Celtic Thunder". Not that I know for a fact they don’t suck as I’ve never seen them, but with Patrick Ourceau playing the fiddle I rather doubt they do. I’m not sure if they still exist, but if so they’ve probably changed their name to avoid the embarassment of being confused with Gaelic Storm.

The one good thing about that album is that there aren’t very many professional fiddle players I can look down on from my own vantage point, so the group fills a much appreciated void…

Stick to the pure drop, man.

While some fusion stuff is nice listening, after more than a few tunes, it becomes draining on the soul.

And the Diddley with Hip-Hop?

In my own rather un-humble opinion-

Insanity honed by crack (the inner-city kind).

By the nine Rings… I don’t even like a majority of modern American, British, Japanese or Euro popular music…. good charlotte and linkin park being among the few… 😉

lol jack.

How about some Irish Rap?

"Well, the mutha-diddle-faddle-idle-feckah’s in the class
and he’ll learn the diddle-didle or I’ll whup his freakel ass…"

etc…

**starts singing "I’m a Snobdum diddley day I know it very well" to the B-Part of Jack the Bridge**

hahahaha

I’m just curious, Gry; does your fiddler and harpist think of themselves as "world class’… or are they a bit more humble? Or are you calling them "world class" to make yourself appear to be "the best" as you say you are? (And the "Irish" drummer in Gaelic Storm agrees naturally… I just realised something — he must think Gry is better than him even… oh my!)

I was judged by someone so horribly that it was taken off by the website moderater. This person got so vicious and evil with me, trust me guys…things can hurt and we’re all human. As for knowing how something will sound, I have heard many people say about how they thought they would sound before I even posted the question about "how did you thought it sounded" today.

Posted by .

Yes, I understood what he meant David.

What I meant was that I don’t have a frickin’ clue what I think it’s going to sound like because I haven’t anywhere near enough information to even begin to form an opinion. To do so would be to form a prejudice.

So, I’ll know what I think when I hear it and not one minute before.

I don’t even know what my own ideas are going to sound like until I hear them. I’ve had this idea for a band for a while now. Guitar, cello, krumhorn, double bassoon and synths. I was going to call it "Going For Baroque," but then the Canadian Brass stole that from me.

Anyway, if I ever put it together (have you ever tried to find a double bassoon player who plays folk music?) it’s either going to sound really cool, or utter crap.

And I haven’t a clue which, until I hear it. So I have no opinion to offer on my own prospective project, let alone someone else’s.

KFG

Posted by .

Okay so i guess I’m posting again so soon Mr. Jack…You seem to bring out the best in me. Yes Steve has said several times that I am better than him(that is not important to me). I met him in my teen years and I know him personally, he is a very good person. Secondly world class only means that you qualify to be able to compete on a world competition level and all three of us have done that several times. And to salt to the wound….the harpist won the all Ireland…

Posted by .

But is he Irish?

I’ve met Steve from Gaelic Storm a few times. He has been at festival gatherings or has attended our session when in town for a gig. Steve doesn’t have the charm and wit of Kevin, but he does seem to me to be a nice guy. He is has not appeared arrogant, and in fact approached the session with a sense of humility. With apologies to Steve, I was pleasantly surprised.

Posted by .

Gry, sorry to hear about the horrible experience you had with the verbal abuse and all… some folks find such self-confidence as you appear to be blessed with intolerable. Or sometimes laughable. Good luck to you. Maybe your group will be the next Afro-Celt Sound System or something. (We’re about due for another one, are we not?)

By the way, Jack, I sent you a present - ABCs of a tune I’m looking for a name for. Get to work! (unravelling bullwhip, tapping stilettos impatiently).

hahaha… S&M tune finding.

I dunno Kerri, I just re-read Gry’s last post to me and I think I’m supposed to be wounded or something. Was he trying to wound me? Where’s Jeremy when you need him, I don’t know if he’d approve of people wounding other people in here. I’m not into violence myself. (unless it’s from a frisky brunette in stilettos. 😉

Unless you object to the term "Mr." I can’t see anything particularly hurtful in there… I don’t know, maybe you have some kind of magical secret wound that only the best bodhran players in the world can see…

… you know, like "the Emperor of Trad’s Raw Salted Wound"

(Oh, man, that is so going to be the name of the next tune that I write. I think I’ll make it a hornpipe.)

Anyway, I’m off to bed. I’ll expect an answer to that pop quiz on my candle-lit PVC adorned altar of chains by morning, Jack.

Nah…. make it a Slide… :p

Next! Good morning. Step right up, no need to jostle.

Posted by .

I predict Gry’s head will explode.

Well GRY I’m a bit of a traditionalist, as I’m sure a lot of us are on this site, so to my ears I reckon it’s going to sound very average indeed.

That’s just my humble prediction, but if it turns out that I do like the sound of hip hop Irish mix, featuring fiddle, harp, vocals and bodhran then you will be the first person to know.

Bye for now……….Dougie

I predict Yak butter.

Posted by .

Yum, especially delicious with essence of jet fuel.

Posted by .

Guys, stop picking on GRY. I think he is a sound lad after all, and - remember - he’s the best, so is it within our merit to judge him? Personally, I am enamoured by his strong personality, and he was the one to give me an idea how to write a bio.
As to the music, I am absolutely sure it’s going to sound fantastic. I know that, I tried to combine Irish Traditional with Polish Rock Goldies of 1980s, and the effect went beyond the expectations of anyone. In the nearest future, I plan to tour Ireland and Scotland, singing "Szklanaaaa pogoooda!" or "Kochac to nie zawsze znaczy to samo" with a Kesh Jig background on a cheap electro guitar - but first I have to grow long curly black hair and drop several kilograms, to look more professional.
GRY, if at that time you are in Ireland, I’d invite you for a pint (0.6 litre according to EU measurement)

Way off topic, and the most tenuous of links, but I just thought I’d mention that the group Warsaw Village rocks my world.

Posted by .

Just post the link GRY, rather than baiting the lions!

Personally, I’m looking forward to hearing it. I’m a big fan both of ITM and of funk/soul/hip-hop, and regularly play both. But I haven’t yet found a way of combining the two that doesn’t detract from the impact of either one, or which doesn’t irritate the hell out of purists of either. But who knows, maybe you’ve found the secret formula? I await your offering with bated breath.

K.

By the way, I think the problem here is that being the best, being called the best, or claiming to be the best, doesn’t necessarily mean everybody will like what you produce. To use an example from a different genre of music, I’m a huge fan of the bass player Stanley Clarke, who is considered by many (myself included) to be one of the greatest bass players in the world. But while he has made some great albums, he’s also made some shockingly bad ones …

K.

what is Hip Hop.

I just read all the thread up to this point.

I don’t understand more than about 10 percent of it. Most of all I don’t think I understand the first post.

What is Hip Hop?

Are we being asked to say what we think something will sound like before we have heard it?

You got it !

Posted by .

Fair play to you GRY.

It seems you have a certian way of winding up people!!!
I had a similar situation myself and one particular name seems to pop up in alot of these threads that involve disagreements etc - stirring and giving opinions that really aren’t needed - hmmm - "find something better to do" comes to mind!

Any ways…I like hip hop - preferably older stuff - rza an the boys!! but I just feel this wouldn’t work!

Like in the eighties lunny did some stuff that was maybe considered quite cool at the time, but when you look at it now - it really doesnt work.

I got a recording of Sharon Shannon doing something with rappers free in the papers recently and IN MY OPINION (an thats all it is!!!) it was one of the most painful things I’ve ever had to go through. Honestly - it was terrible.

Anyway - fair play for trying!! I wouldnt take offence about stuff written in here! keep rockin away an if your in Ireland I’m sure you’ll get treated with the respect, that like every one else you deserve.

Oh God, this could open a whole can of worms … Basically, (and forgive me GRY if I’m oversimplifying, but I honestly don’t think the nuances of genres matter that much in this case) think of any modern rap music - that’s essentially hip-hop.

Now don’t anybody say ‘What is rap?’

As far as I can work out, yer man GRY is attempting to fuse our beloved diddly with the kind of crunching beats and production techniques you hear in rap. He intends to unleash this unholy Frankenstein’s monster on the web via a link here in the very near future and is asking us if we think we’ll like it. Given GRY’s penchant for telling us that numerous luminaries have declared him the greatest bodhran player in the world, a penchant which clashes somewhat with diddly’s ethos of ‘it’s the music that’s important, not the player’, yer man has come in for quite a bit of healthy, uh, ‘attitude-adjustment advice’ from members of this site. So I think the point of this is that he’s expecting us all to say, ‘God no, please, it’s gonna be awful’, at which point he’ll unveil his ungodly creation and it will convert us all and we’ll fall prostrate at his feet and proclaim him the messiah of a new musical fusion. Or something.

As I’ve said, I’m looking forward to hearing it. It might be great.

K.

Bob
Hip hop is how the little bunnies travel in the magical garden.

Posted by .

The Lunny crossover stuff was probably due to the fact that his brother was in a band called Marksman at the time and obviously wanted to collaborate.

"Yum, especially delicious with essence of jet fuel."

And just a sprinkling of rich man.

KFG

Posted by .

Ah - we’re getting somewhere.

I know what Rap is. Rap is where someone (usually a male) shouts a series of rhymes worthy of the great William MacGonagall in a quasi agressive fashion to a drum accompaniment. This is usually done in some sort of pidgin english, and increasingly seems to need to include references to a lot of antisocial behaviour, including violence, drugs, and incest.

So ITM Hip Hop would be like strawberries in spiced vinegar, or an anchovy and raisin flapjack. Perhaps.

Washed down with Johnnie Walker and Beano.

Posted by .

what did you think conan? - I myself was never mad on it - just my opinion though - looking back at footage or listening to it i have to say i cringe a little!

Shoaboating is a big part of hiphop and rap culture. It goes with the whole fight the power and ghetto revenge history. A lot of these artists tend to go on about how "sucka’ mc’s should call me sire" and so forth.so GRY’s feet-apart-arms-crossed-shiney-gold-tooth attitude doesn’t surprise me in the least. I don’t mind if someone wants to combine genres especially when those genres have had significant impact on your life experience, many of us who grew up in 80’s and 90’s have had hiphop and rap as a mainstay in our musical diet and so naturally it will creep into our expression.

That said, I do really believe that you better be able to play pure as well. It’s very different playing to a heavy techno or hiphop or rhythm and it’s not easy to make it sound good. You can trust me on that, I’ve tried and been scoffed, ignored, and laughed at as well. But it satisfies that need to include what you know.

Sooooo, Ignoring the self-promoting b.s. from Mr. GRY, I’m looking forward to hearing what his group will post, it may actually be good. And hey, at least he’s doing something constructive with his time rather than going around shooting people.

Posted by .

Sorry…I meant "Showboating" above

Posted by .

They do the shooting in the evenings Mike.

Not everyone who isn’t creating HHITM is going around and shooting people. Some people can’t afford the fuel; others get carsick. And some people simply won’t walk to save their lives.

Posted by .

Yeah Stefan, not really my cup of tea either. Another Emmet Spiceland-type departure for Lunny, i.e. not very successful

Yo!
I’m posting a link to my new tracks soon. I haven’t cut them yet, but I want you tell me if they’re gonna be any good so I don’t waste time recording them if they’re no good - right? It’s a fusion of Goldie Looking Chain and Danu. They’re called - Guns Don’t Kill People, Fiddlers Do, and on the B Side, My Colleen’s Got A Penis (Yo!)
Let me know what you think. It’ll have a world class spoon spinner on the decks and yours truly on flute (As Matt Molloy once said to me - "Fecken shut the feck up!" - RESPEC!)

Still, that Donal Lunny live album, eh? Yeah. You know it.

Booyah.

Posted by .

Hahaa 🙂 You guys are too much… I’m going to go do some work now…

Posted by .

Laitch thanks for the info. are we talking acid here.

Jeezum Crow Ottery, cut that out. You made me laugh out loud before I’ve had my first morning cup of coffee. I hate when that happens, it hurts my brain.

All three cells.

KFG

Posted by .

Janek, sorry my Polish isn’t up to speed at the moment - what were the names of those songs again? Something about weather and love? I need to get studying before I go over again in July…

Bob
we ain’t talkin acid on dis flaccid tread when we be waitin, baitin da bigg man to hear his drum, his squeez, his mp3z, diddley dum diddley deez

Posted by .

Laitch, my youngest son listens to this type of music,Ilike the rhythm,I just dont know the different names of the styles.

Bob
VIBE magazine is one place to go learn, then a family trip to a deprogrammer.

Posted by .

Bob
It’s all harmless good fun but the weight of the the neck chains and medallions can cause deformities in immature skeletal structure and some youngsters have had lower leg tissue damage from the waistband on their pants impeding circulatory blood flow from the femoral artery. The up side is, of course, young boys will never outgrow their pants, a substantial economic savings for their parents.

Posted by .

My room-mate is into techno and one day he sat me down for a lesson. He played me all kinds of tracks one after the other, saying "And THIS is Trance, and THIS is Jungle, and THIS is (searching, searching… I don’t know I’ll just make up a word) Space Butterfly (I guess I’m a poor student) which is LIKE Jungle, only more fanciful and with a stronger backbeat." I swear to god if there hadn’t been spaces between the tracks I would have thought it was all the same song.

I’m sure he’d be equally indifferent if I sat him down in the kitchen and said "Now, THIS is a barn dance, and THIS is a hornpipe, and THIS is a slip jig, which is LIKE a jig, only with three extra beats in each bar…"

You make an excellent point, Kerri, and Bob, I wouldn’t worry about the circulatory problems. I was thinking of iron thigh shackles which are part of a completely different musical genre of which the Coral Poisoners are foremost exponents.

Posted by .

could be good, could be bad, I’ll wait to judge.
on a similar note though, I once tried combining ITM and ska, it sort of worked, but didn’t really sound like any of the above., had a laugh doing it though.

good luck with it GRY

Anders

Laitch , was good talking to you , but sorry most of it goes over my head.35 years working on a building site.

Bob
Seriously. Check out VIBE. It’s one of the industry magazines and will be a revelation to you.

Posted by .

Hey, I think there’s one of those in the bathroom at my place. Is that the one with graffiti art exhibitions and young gentlemen of African-American descent pontificating about revolution?

Kerri
Well, if they’re not exclusively young, exclusively gentlemen or exclusively AA but they all seem to have a neuromuscular defect of the middle and ring fingers that causes their hands to form a perpetual cuckhold symbol, that’s the one.

Posted by .

That’s it! That’s the name for my band!
The Perpetual Cuckolds.
Thanks!

Tut, tut. All in a day’s work. You can use that idea of combining ITM with an ATM for making money too.

Posted by .

What would the ABC notation for a rap song be?
Perhaps as follows:
FFFFFF FFFFFF FFFFFF FFFFFFF FFFFFFFFF
FFFFFF FFFFFF FFFFFF FFFFFFF FFFFFFFFF
Best wishes,
Al Brown

Obviously it’s not an original idea. I got it from a fortune cookie.

Posted by .

Al, you’re not the Al Brown who did the reggae version of Al Green’s ‘Here I Am Baby’, are you?

I guess not.

BTW, Mike Schultze, that’s an excellent thought up above, there. I hadn’t thought of that. I’d just assumed he was some sort of social-rules disadvantaged guy who couldn’t figure out where to display himself where his strutting would be part of the every day, normal behavior. Learn something new…

If you only knew what you’d missed, Zina!
😉

Gry , I think it would sound okay.But as for my kids they would laugh their nuts off at the diddley de element. wish you all the best.

I only wish there had been time for you to extrapolate on the concept of "revolution through sex", Gry. I’m dying to know how that works.

Ooo, don’t forget the title of the thread, which was why I was saving it up for dessert, as it were — something about us all needing an education in general music! hehehehe

Funny thing is, of course, I know of several (well, more than several) members here who are REALLY good musicians, like, really REALLY good musicians, both pro and not, who have nothing in their bios, and rarely to never post, who come here just for the crack. Some of the musicians here who DO post regularly are crack players in both this and other genres and could probably play rings round most of us. Can’t imagine what they need by way of general enlightenment about the music, though I suspect they’d be the first to say that there’s always more to learn…

Will be interesting to see… Not a big fan of cra… I mean rap myself… but I guess we’ll find out. Only two cross culture music styles I’ve seen work is Las Vegas Lounge Singing and Heavy Metal…. But that’s just me, and more from a humor aspect.

You wouldn’t be talking about Richard Cheese and Lounge Against The Machine, would you, j_dunn? One of my all time favorites! http://www.iloverichardcheese.com

Yuppers, I forgot someone else did one of older songs…. I think it was Wayne Newton about 4 or 5 years ago.. But yes Richard Cheese’s "Down with the Sickness" is my favorite redo of it, and was shocked to hear it on Dawn of the Dead.

P.s.

I mean, how can you not love Richard’s version of "Closer"? Or, even better, his little rant about Britney Spears, or the fact that you can buy an "I Love Dick" thong?

And then there’s…

Don’t forget about Pat Boone covering Metallica!

Great minds!

Yeah

heh you replied about the same time as me… yup thought it was Wayne at first… Anyways back on subject… About this Rap meets fiddle stuff…. Is this like the Revenge of the Nerds Electric Classical Fiddle thingie in the talent show scene or whatever it was?

**Hears the Uillean pipes playing The Imperial March….**

Okay…so this is for Kerri….thank you for supporting me by the way…

Revolution through sex…..well let me start by saying I don’t like control in my life or anyone elses. We should be free to choose…it is our birth rite. Sex controls a lot. And why? Cause we let it. sex is the #1 way to control a male and female anywhere we go on this planet….and then second is money…but why do we want money? To have power and most use that power to have sex with whom they want. The revolution part has to come from each and every individual. Understanding sex is a mulit-purpose thing…used for many outcomes…pleasure and life just being two examples. Sex controls hip hop down to it’s last core…and that is where I feel the control…I have a song about it called "Revolution Sex" ….I’m gonna post a thread with some of my music i’ve done on it..Revolution Sex will be one of the songs on there…

PEACE
GRY

Posted by .

Dia save us all ….

Oh, man, Richard. His version of "Rape me" by Nirvana cracks me up. And "Funk Soul Brotha". I used to listen to that CD alone in my car, absolutely howling, tears rolling down my cheeks, eliciting curious glances from passers-by.

"Slap My Bitch Up", don’t forget that one…have you ever seen him live? I hear it’s REALLY funny…

Hang on GRY, if you do that it will get deleted. The moderator here is really strict about the whole "threads must have something to do with Irish Traditional Music" thing. Seems harsh, I know, but it’s his website and we all just have to play along I guess. You should go to your member profile - you can get there by clicking on your own name, then you have the option to "update your profile". This opens a little window you can think of as your own personal platform to let your soul shine. Nobody can diss you, argue with you, and it can be as long as you like. Lots of room for lyrics, philosophy, how-to manuals on revolution… You should do that. I’ll be the first to read it and spread the word.

What you’ve all been waiting for….some of my music…

Hey again it’s your fav, GRY….I’m posting a link to some of my music. It does not have the fusion track yet…I’m working on it…I want to to be the best that i can make it….so it takes time.

The songs on the site are called "Revolution sex", "Thirsty" and "Bread Crumbs". The rest are beats(instrumentals)…..That is me rapping…Have fun and please keep an open mind….

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/theastonishinggrymusic.htm

PEACE
GRY

Posted by .

Zina, "I’m only happy when it rains" is actually one of my favorite songs, just on its own merit, not even as a p*sstake.

Garbage — definitely another one of my all time favs! "Milk" is probably my favorite, though.

Kerri, should I be writing GRY with an educational note about the Irish tendency to take the p*ss?

Great, now "I’m Only Happy When It Rains" is going to be stuck in my head. Guess I’d better go put on some Garbage. 🙂

I dunno, Zina, this might be one of those journeys where the poor man has to hike up the mountain and let the rich man meet his yak butter.

well, so long as it’s clarified. ;)

Nice one GRY you’ve reached the 100 mark, now get on with it will you!

Jam sandwich, I mean, ‘PIECE’

Hi GRY,
I like the Revolution Sex ’ song. The vocals, if not the beat so much, are quite old school type rap style, which is cool. That’s what the kids round here are really into now, they love GMaster Flash and all that.

Not my type of music, but if you ever need a bodhran player, give us a ring.

silly, he IS a bodhran player. Where have you been.

Gry, (you’re not my "fav" by the way… sorry) this might be off-topic for your thread here, but the question I’m raising is definately on-topic for this website. I can’t help but wonder; what ever got you interested in ITM? What do you like about ITM?

(listening) - well what do you know, Gry, that IS astonishing.

Hey GRY……Check out Eileen Ivers CD "Crossing the Bridge". You’ll find she beat you to the hip-hop ITM, scratch mix, sampling thing years ago. Interesting but that’s where it ends….her other fusiony things with Steve Gadd on drums etc is much better. Great arrangements though.

Not to mention Ashley MacIssac’s grunge-Cape Breton fusion. Even some spoken word. Stellar playing in a highly charged (and "designed") sound environment. Check out Hi How Are You Today.

Posted .

Also, check out Shooglenifty and Afro Celt Sound System. Both of which I really quite dig myself. Or for singing, check out Mary Jane Lamond’s entirely Gaelic traditional song hip hop / pop career. But then, just because it’s been done before doesn’t mean it can’t be done again.

Ooh, and a band called Bacchue does fantastic jazz / Irish fusion, even if you hate jazz. Which I do. Except for anything that came before 1950… Those damn beatnicks ruined it for everybody.

Kerri,
beatnicks never played bebop.
And Charlie Parker got famous before 1950.
You’re saying you don’t like ANY of the blue Note stuff? (Lee Morgan, Jimmy Smith, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, Chet Baker, Kenny Burrell etc etc ad nauseum). You don’t rate Theloneous Monk? Charles Mingus doing ‘Goodbye Pork Pie Hat’ leaves you totally unmoved. Miles Davis and Gil Evans. Cannonball Adderley. Dizzie Gillespie, John Coltrane …
They all leave you cold?
But ‘Bacchue’ is cool?
Tut!

This thread is really on-topic now all right. Hip hop, jazz, be-bop, beatnicks. How about Gamelan music, can we work that in? Or maybe Elvis.

Pete’s boss plays in a Gamelon. It’s some pretty cool stuff. And, personally, if Elvis was smart, he ran for Ireland. Nobody’d ever find him there.

P.s.

He plays this clunky clanky thing that’s shaped like a turtle. or is it a frog?

What got me into ITM?

So, What got me into this ITM stuff. Well when I was 13 I wanted to spend more time with my bestfriend. So I folled him to his ITM band practice every weekend. I must admit when I first heard Irish music I though it sucked(I thought that about Hip Hop too). After a month or two of me sitting there with my headphones on the director of the band asked me to join or leave. Since I wanted to see my best friend I decided to stay.

I started On the tin wistle…I am tone deaf so that did not work out too good. Then my best friends mother suggested I play the bodhran. I thought It could not hurt…so I got a teacher. He taught me first up and down, I practiced that for a month and a half(that was boring). Then I was ready for the jig and the reel….that I practiced for the remainder of the year(most times I practiced for 12 hours everyday), but practiced to dance music, techno, and Hip hop….But when I joined the band later I played to Irish music(which is why i know it can work). The following year I entered in the midwest Fleadh at 13 and won 1st. The next 5 years i took home first every time. I have been to Ireland twice for the all Ireland competition. I have never palced there though(that is another story for another time). Then at the age of 19 I left the ITM scene.

So what did I do when I was gone? I started my own Film/Video company. I started and completed my B.A. in film at the Art Institute(I’m in my masters now). I sharpened my Hip Hop skills, just rhyming….I only started making beats and signing artists a year a ago Jan 1st.

So why do I like ITM? Great people, Great food, Great country, hot girls who love to dance(great legs), I could drink at 16 and get drunk, and it was music that was good and I was good at it….

PEACE
GRY

Posted by .

Mike McGoldrick’s "Fused" CD has some interesting ITM "fused" with a variety of different music’s. (Hip Angus Hop is the name of one tune!)

I tend to think more like a purist but the CD has grown on me, besides Mike is a hugley talented musican.

I very much appreciated Ottery’s last post…hey Ottery how about Joe Henderson blowing snakes all over Lee Morgan’s Sidewinder and Horace Silvers’ "Song for My Father" CD"s. Does he practically steal the show or what?

ITM is such an uncommon music relatively speaking, you would think anyone drawn to it would likewise have a relatively receptive mind to be-bob (and other equally timeless music).

I agree Paul, be-bop is one of my passions. For many years I played keyboards in a band and Horace Silver’s style had a huge influence on me. When I fell in love with ITM I saw a lot of similarities in the body of music and the approach to playing and sharing it.

I like be-bop well enough, but it doesn’t really say anything to me. (I like jazz too, though I don’t know enough about the hardcore stuff to really understand that either.) IS there any form of music that automatically means that you’ll like another specific form of music?

Mark, well, you got me, I know nothing about jazz. I admit it. I have a lot of it, but mostly of the torch song and swing/jive big band variety. Ella, Loius (both Armstrong and Prima), Sarah, Dinah, etc. It’s the freestyle stuf that leaves me cold. jazzy chords and jazzy melodies that are catchy appeal to me, but "Hey, look how many notes I can string together on my saxophone!" music, not so much. But fair play to people who play that stuff, I have great respect for their technical ability, if not their musicality.

(I don’t know anything about beatnicks either, but I read the first few pages of "On the Road" - before throwing it down in disgust - does the one thing have anything to do with the other?)

Plus I’m only kidding about the beatnicks. Is Tom Waits a beatnick? I don’t even know. I think I need some musical education.

*snort* You’re evil too, Ker. Heh. I like Tom Waits, but I dont think he’s a beatnik, exactly. Ol’ Jack K was a little too impressed with himself for my taste, I tried reading his stuff over and over again because I thought I should, but I finally gave it up as a bad job, because life’s too short to read things you don’t really want to!

John Irving - Setting free the Bears. Much, much more entertaining road saga.

I looooooooove Tom Waits. I want to bear his love child. It’s too bad I’m not a truck stop waitress or a cup of coffee. He’d never even look at me. :^(

LOL — I’ve seen your picture, dear heart. I kind of doubt that. ;)

Well, I certainly don’t see him writing any love songs for fiddling data entry clerks without any noticable scars.

You know, since it’s still prediction time, I’m going to predict that yesterday was a really crappy day for posts on the old yellow site, and that today was much better. I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun in here. I loooooove not having relevant discussions.

Well, I could see him writing a love song for some pretty girl who is struggling along as a data clerk (scars or no) when in reality she’s a singer/songwriter who plays Irish music as well. Oh yeah. Definitely.

Unless you have your whip and your sporting those stilettos.

(I swear to you. Never saw a whiff of his wife. Not once.) ;)

Jack, I inflict scars, I don’t accumulate them.

(raising eyebrows)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a whiff of *anything* myself.

One time Will told me he got a "whiff of the crack." (I chose not to ask him to explain.)

LOL — right, I’m going to go do some work. Entertain yourselves, but remember this is a family site. ;)

Well, he said himself, we live in a time of great musical cross-fertilization…

It’s a grand melting pot in the musical bedroom then, I take it.

All this crossover talk and self-promotion has inspired me to dig out and inflict on the world my own recent efforts at trad fusion.

Let’s hear it for… The Miller of Jobim!
http://www.tiscali.co.za/ente/millerofdroghan.mp3

I’m still waiting for my big break, but I’m sure it’ll be any day now!!!

Posted by .

Yeh, and what’s next?

Orag-outang lilting? Ook ok Oooook ookity ook-ook? :p

Nice job, Jao, all it needs is sexy singing…

Short and fat, his nose is runny
the miller of Droghan feels funny
and when he passes each one he passes goes… peee yuuuuuuuuuuuu

Ok… that’s not very sexy… I know.

LOL, Jack

We used to sing "the Girl with Bulemia" — "Tall and thin and kinda boney…" but I like The Girl with Emphysema better, actually. ;)

(Miller is sounding nice, Matty. 🙂 Except for the Girl guitar thing, of course. Heh.)

ROFLMAO! I really wish I hadn’t put on war paint this morning for work, as it is all running after reading all of this!

Gry: If you spend your time waiting for success without trying, you might just live with regrets. Go for it. If you fail to make a living with it, at least you won’t reach the stage of life wishing you had, at least, tried.

The same goes for the “Perpetual Cuckold”!

Deb.