What do you have in your case?

What do you have in your case?

What do you have in your case - apart from your instrument(s)?

My fiddle case is running a bit light at the moment, but it still has the following:

* Nail clippers
* Strepsils (for sore throats due to talking too much)
* Diocalm (for dodgy stomachs etc)
* Solpadeine (the stuff you don’t seem to be able to get in the States - has codeine, paracetamol, caffeine and it fizzes too so must have salt)
* Spare strings (tho mine never seem to break)
* Spare rosin (cos I keep losing it when I’m drunk)
* Piano wire (for repairing fiddle case hinges etc … and no, I haven’t got anything to cut it with, but I play with people who do)
* A letter I forgot to post - damn!

I guess this shows I’m a bit of a hypochondriac … or I play with them. What do the contents of your case say about you? 🙂

Re: What do you have in your case?

Typing going to hell today, not even drunk, hmm 🙂

Yeah but that was 3 months ago Kerri.
What’s in the case now?

- Music for "Spórt" for a friend
- Receipts from a trip to America
- Crumbs from a Pret a manger sandwich
- A-Z map of London
- Book: The London Pigeon Wars
- 2-for-1 drinks voucher
- Telephone number for girl I apparently met at some session or other (rough night)
- 2 packets of chewing gum
- old copy of Private Eye

The important part of this thread for me is " what does it say about you"
And the answer: I haven’t a clue.

The one thing I never have is any bloody rosin

Posted .

Bits of paper with names of tunes, dog eared music score sheets, pens, and a paperback or crossword page if travelling to session by public transport.

Posted by .

I’ll lend you some when you visit London 🙂

I may uphold my reputation as the Web Ferret upon occasion, but I don’t believe I’ve *squelched* a thread because we’ve talked about it before since, oh, about 2002 or so. So there. Pbbbttthhhhht to you, Carte.

I have some transcriptions that a session friend did of a couple of tunes (Eve’s Slip Jig, and some others that I haven’t learned yet) he wants me to learn, an old contract for a wedding gig from two years ago, a baggie of spare grips, resin, the resin bag without the resin in it, a tuner, nail clip, my backup bow, and some old strings i’m keeping round as spares. The case has the little souvenir thingie that they gave us at the Sebastapol Festival this year on the zipper pull.

My fiddle, shoulder rest, and bow are on their stand near the fire in the family room, where they generally live when I’m not going to be sessioning out or some such. No lectures on how it should be kept in the case when not being played, please. ;)

rosin. sorry, I haven’t really been to bed tonight.

And (MG) we can then see who has the most Ecky Thump accent. Cath’s would be more Ackay Thermp 🙂

Nothing. Piano accordion cases are great cavernous affairs, but I never put mine in unless I’m going out to play. The case for my big accordion that I use for Scottish music instantly turns into a spare table in my studio, where it’s kept near the hi fi.

What’s ON my accordion case? Hmmm let me just go have a look…. sound of receding footsteps…..

Okay, are you ready? 9 CDs (2 Kevin Burke, 3 Chieftans, 1 Dezi Donnelly, 1 Hugh Gillespie, 1 Paddy Killoran/James Morrison, 1 Paddy in the Smoke) 3 cassettes - all Kevin Burke.

Posted by .

Kinross Traditional Music Festival, late 1970s. Phil Smillie, flute/ whistle player with the "Tannahill Weavers" was spotted around town carrying a wooden fiddle case. "What’s in the case, Phil ?"
Opens it up - 1 flute, a few whistles, a jersey, and 2 cans of Tennants lager.
They don’t make ‘em like that anymore !

Posted by .

In my "zouki case ?

Tuner
Shaky egg
Owl whistle
Altoids chewing gum tin containing picks and an elastic capo
Spare strings
Windy handle for when re-stringing
Pub-prop for resting zouk against table
Small notebook for tune names etc
Kazoo
Fast-fret
Contact bug
Words to "I shall be released" -Yah ! Early Dylan !

No consumables

Orson I’d probably say acky sump 🙂

Posted by .

Before I changed to a different mandolin I had a rectangular case which held:

1 Mandolin
1 Flute
8 Whistles: A, Bb, B, C, D, Eb, F and G
1 Recorder (kept out of sight for high level sessions)
2 Harmonicas
3 mandolin bridges
1 Key for tightening banjo head
About a dozen plectra
Several pieces of different grades of emery cloth
Piece of old inner tube
Yellow duster
2 Christmas cards from at least a year ago
Several sheets of dots - some received, some failing to be given
Set of mandolin strings
2 cocktail sticks
packet of strong mints
sundry other pieces of paper
screwdriver
piece of fretwire
superglue
Blu Tak
Piece of the red wax off Edam Cheese (ideal for flute joints)
Flute brush
Lighter
Pipe and baccy
Dust and crumbs

There would be visiting pieces too - such as food, caps, cutlery, CDs, tapes, beermats etc

"I shall be released" - what a great song, although I’d rather hear Nina Simone sing it than Dylan.

Yeah, my brother Rudall swears by Edam wax for flute joints. Maybe there’s another thread there on weird stuff used to hold instruments together? Kerri? Zina? 🙂

Sorry Orson. My bubble bursting quota has been met. For the record, my fiddle case holds a fiddle, guitar case a guitar, harp case a harp, bodhran case a bodhran (and a couple soup spoons, but only as a souvenir, I swear!).

What does that say about me? I have pockets.

Hey, Kenny - what ever happened to Phil Smillie anyway? Is he still playing at all? He was such a grat player. Anybody know?

Posted by .

Only on flute threads, and I generally don’t have much call to be looking in on those, Orson. ;)

Orson, that last comment reminds me of a road trip from Belfast to Clare. Time to sit back and reminisce…

Nine of us met up in Madden’s Bar to get a lift to Clare in an old Volkswagen campervan. After a few less than swift pints we set off. Half a mile outside Belfast we ran out of petrol! The driver, who shall remain nameless, commented "Isn’t this exciting?". After walking up the road for a mile to fetch some gas we started back on our way. The driver by this stage had started to "calm himself down" through the use of various substances. It worked, since we must have been averaging 40 mph most of the night, although at one point paranoia set in and he would slow down for traffic lights that were still hundreds of yards distant.

The semi- relevant part to this thread is what happened next - the van broke down somwhere near Athlone. We fixed it with a bouzouki string which, as far as I know, is still there.

Other strange things happened on that trip. We picked up an enormous drunk farmer just outside Ballinasloe who said his name was "Jake" and he’d just downed 16 pints of Guinness. It turned out his name was Jack and he provided endless amusement all the way to Miltown, although he was less than amused to find himself there the next day when he woke up on the beach with nothing but the clothes he stood up in.
In fact we all slept on the beach that morning in our sleeping bags. It happened to be a very sunny day in Clare (I swear it’s true!) and we woke up around midday with beetroot red burnt faces.
The trip home was no less amusing; we convinced some Swiss tourists to dance around the Dolmen in torrential rain, assuring them it was good luck. We "kidnapped" a goat in the Cooley mountains, were going to bring it to Belfast and give it to Eamonn Maguire for a bodhrán, relented and let it go. And we almost made a detour to the Giant’s Causeway! In fact some of the lads couldn’t face Belfast and continued as far as Donegal for a few days.
Ahh the memories.

There isn’t much room in my flute case, but it does contain a little lacquer-work box that my Great Grandfather made, which in turn contains a vile flute-gunge made of beeswax and medicinal parafin.
There is also a picture of Barry Looney of Cork CCE, who sports a magnificent beard which I’ve been told I must aspire to. The picture was a going-away present from Ewan and Teresa, when they moved to Newcastle.
Mark

Pair of pliers

strings, picks, cappos, fast fret (i think im addicted to this stuff), pliers,king skins, the cds i promised to bring in to the group members the week before!!

Pete Pascoe (Pete are you out there?) always used to have a card about 6 inches square in his concertina box, with a large letter A on it.

When someone wanted to tune up and asked him to give them an A, he would hand it to them …

Great idea - think I’ll steal it!

HAHAHAHAHA Genius

Until a few years ago I had, aside from a mandolin, a round plastic container containing some used mandolin strings (including some ex-Soviet ones, which are already black when you buy them - but they’re very cheap, and you get spare E and A strings included) and some little bits of amber I found on a beach in Lithuania. The bits of amber all disappeared eventually, and I realised I was never going to use the strings again, so I took the plastic container out. There is now a clean pair of socks containing a C and a D whistle, which fit neatly under the body of the mandolin.

But everybody always asks me for a D. What use is a big cardboard A? Guess I have to think up my own clever prank. (smoke coming out ears). Sigh, it’s no use.

business cards. I wish my case was bigger, so i caould keep in it a toothbrush, change of clothes, a sleeping bag, a can opener…

In one of my cases I have a pencil sharperner, a dollar bill folded like a rabit in a hat, and rosen thats alot older than I am

Can we have a pic of the dollar bill folded like a rabbit in a hat, please? That I have to see to believe, and then I’ll want to know how to do it.

"No lectures on how it should be kept in the case when not being played, please. ;)"

Pete Seeger once wrote in Sing Out magzine:

"I hope you don’t keep you don’t keep your instruments tucked away in their cases. Keep them hanging on the wall so they inspire you to pick one up and play at a moment’s notice."

Or something like that.

"When someone wanted to tune up and asked him to give them an A, he would hand it to them …"

I always just lean back, stick up my thumbs and say, "Aaaaaay!"

Lessee, in my guitar gig bag:

Pick box (and its attendant fairy provided contents)
Extra Strings
Wire Nipper
Tuner
String Winder
Glass Slide
Harmonica Holder
Harmonica
Kazoo
D Whistle
Soprano Recorder
Quena
Homemade shakey thing (lentils in a plastic bottle)
Lyric Sheet of Hoyt Axton’s Boney Fingers (for the girl singer )
The Book by Alan Watts
The Collected Poetry of Dorothy Parker by …(you’ll have to guess)
A two dollar bill
A little spiral bound notebook with a ballpoint stuck in the spiral
Sarengeti Drivers Sunglasses
Chlamys (don’t leave home without one)

I’m traveling light because I’ve got nothing but home gigs for awhile. No trail mix, cheese, halvah, toothbrush, socks, underwear, etc and always remember, if you play acoustic guitar… it’s hollow (although when I travel heavy I add a bike messenger bag).

And I need some coffee, because I just made my first pot of the day with last night’s grounds. How are you expected to make coffee if you haven’t had your coffee yet?

I’d carry some emergency instant coffee in my bag too, but I have a disorder that prevents me from drinking the stuff, which is bad news and good news I suppose.

KFG

Posted by .

All together , now:
"You work your fingers to the bone;
Whaddayu get?
Boney Fingers!
Boney Fingers!"

Sorry. I have no control over that one. I’ll be quiet now.

No, I must ask. What is chlamys?????

"Sorry. I have no control over that one."

Neither do I. I’m usually protected from it by not having a girl singer (since it’s written in male and female parts), but I seem to have acquired one part time.

"No, I must ask. What is chlamys?????"

Google is your friend, although I think my answer is going to be better than what you’d find there anyway.

A piece of cloth about as wide as from your armpit to your ankles and a bit longer than your outstretched arms. When folded in half and pinned just right it becomes the traditional Greek , off the shoulder "poncho," a chlamys.

Chlamys basically translates as "a piece of cloth worn like this."

Add another pin and it becomes a chiton, the classic Greek tunic.

Wrap it around your waist and it becomes a shenti (Egyptian for sarong. It is *not* really a kilt, but that’s a whole ‘nother lecture on how the kilt started as a blanket/shawl worn on the *upper* body).

For which purpose the chlamys also serves.

Or a tarp.

Or a clean sheet when you find yourself sleeping in a fleabag.

When you join the Buddhist monestary you’ll find you already have robes. It’s the same thing as the two "inner" robes. The outer robe is just a bit larger, which is actually much the same thing as a true "kilt," but is a bit too much to carry in a gig bag full of other junk.

Tie a rope around each end and it actually becomes a servicable hammock. Or a hanging chair. (although the larger version, which the Greeks called a himation, is a bit more comfy for this.)

Fold and roll it just so and it’s an instant "bike messenger" bag.

When you encounter one of those dasterdly machines in the restroom with instructions to "Hold hands under nozzle. Rub together briskly. Wipe hands on kilt," it also becomes a towel.

It is the single most versatile item of clothing/tool ever devised by man, with the advantage of being cheap, long wearing, usable for something else when it does wear out, outrageously comfortable, "sewn" by cutting it off the bolt and damned elegant. Why everyone doesn’t treasure their chlamys is beyond me.

Always know where your chlamys is.

Oh, and "42."

KFG

Posted by .

Dorothy Parker… at a session… oh lordy, the mind boggles and then some. Just think of what she would have said about some of the standard session characters.

My fiddle case currently carries:
fiddle
bow
rosin
shoulderpad
tuning fork
3 assorted mutes, none of which i use under normal circumstances but which come in handy if i want to play while staying in a hotel and don’t want the people in the next room to make angry phone calls down to the desk
spare strings
cleaning cloth
rosin removal cloth
came-with-the-case fiddle cover cloth (spiffy green velvet)
and two pieces of fabric i’ve carried in my fiddle cases since i was a mere tot,
which i think i described on the previous thread on this topic.

The last two items are there for nostalgia and also because they pad the scroll end of the fiddle a bit. Otherwise it tends to get bumped around when I sling the case across my back and walk somewhere.

Dorothy Parker.
"Why is it no-one’s sent me yet
One perfect limousine, do you suppose?
Ah, no, it’s always just my luck to get
one perfect rose."

Oh, yeah. KFG?
FNORD!

Two flutes (D and Bb), four whistles (2 Ds & 2 Bbs), a Bb fife, music for John Brosnan’s reel from a friend, cleaning rod, satin cleaning "rag", dampit humidifier, cork grease,and one toe sock.

"Just think of what she would have said about some of the standard session characters."

I haven’t been to a session in awhile. I’ve been doing the open mic thing, and thus surrounded by angst filled singer/songwriter types. It’s one of the things that’s inspired me to have it in my gig bag at the moment.

"it’s always just my luck to get
one perfect rose."

Never fall for a musician. You’re lucky if they can afford the rose, let alone a limousine. If they win the lottery they’ll likely blow the whole wad on instruments and studio fees and still sleep on the floor, or in their rusty Volvo (What do you call a musician without a girlfriend? Homeless). If you’re lucky you’ll get one perfect song, and that’s about it. That won’t even by you a cup of coffee.

My last composition is a silly little classical guitar etude, to accompany the rose, whose secondary inspiration and title is a line from Tennyson:

"If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever"

I hope she likes it (she thought the song was "nice"), but she’s probably hoping for a Porsche.

Which is also part of the inspiration for my currently carrying around Dorothy Parker.

Maybe I should just take my own advice. She’s a musician.

Of the singer/songwriter cut.

KFG

Posted by .

"FNORD!"

Keep the slack, baby.

KFG

Posted by .

Guitar.
Capo.
Winder,
Strings.
Pair of Pliers.
4 Parking Tickets,(3 from Ljubljana, 1 from Berlin).
Toothbrush.
Razor.
Restaurant bill from Nov. 2003.
Bar of chocolate several months old.
and the inevitable fluff….

KFG, I did the next best thing —- I fell for a writer. 😀

Bob is watching. But mainly, I’m busily trying to dispell the Curse of Greyface in my office. Although the jammed check-printer may be an unintended side-effect. 😛 Where’s Emperor Norton when you need him?

(*muffled curses and the sound of clattering machine parts being flung far and wide*)

BTW, KFG, are you a turtle?

"…are you a turtle?"

Not on whistle, but I’d say definately on fiddle. There are those who disagree with me, but they don’t know what they’re talking about. The culprit here is that I’m a solo performer who likes to fiddle in the old style which thinks of the fiddle as a voice. Everything tends to come out as an air, although some of them are quick airs.

Ok, I admit it, I’ve had a peep at your profile. The disorder I mentioned that prevents me from drinking instant coffee is Celiac Disease. I’m well aquainted with the trials and tribulations attendant upon having to live wheat free in a land where the stuff seems to just blow around in the air. It’s a good thing I like rice, which I’m actually mildly allergic to, but you have to eat *something.*

It does make being on the road a pain sometimes, hence the ubiquitous trail mix in my gig bag.

KFG

Posted by .

KFG: Nope, definitely not a turtle. (There’s a specific answer, if you are one. *evil grin*)

My buddy Kachi up in Seattle is a celiac; when I was diagnosed, she gave me a big hug and said "Sister!". Yes, it’s a monster having to be wheat-free in this culture, and of course you have to skip barley and associated maltlike things too, which is even tougher. I’m allergic to the entire wheat family of grains, so to avoid being given spelt or kamut by people who don’t know those are varieties of wheat I often tell waitresses and grocery clerks that I’m gluten intolerant. "S true —- of 2 of the 4 forms of gluten.

Umm, re the rice, not to lecture but do be careful about eating it even though you’re allergic to it. My pediatrician told my family to let me eat as much dairy as I wanted (I grew up in a family of cheese-hounds) and I ended up paying for it eventually.

If you want, I could email you a gluten-and-rice-free all-corn cornbread recipe. Are you familiar with "Living Without" magazine?

"There’s a specific answer, if you are one. *evil grin*"

Sometimes I enjoy perversely misinterpreting a question, especially when the enviromental setting allows two equally viable such interpretations. *eviler grin*

Anyway, to take your quesiton as seriousl y as I’m willing at the moment, you bet your sweet ass I’m not!

Celiacs can’t drink beer.

"Umm, re the rice, not to lecture but do be careful about eating it even though you’re allergic to it."

I’m very careful. My life depends upon it. Lentils are actually my staple.

"I often tell waitresses and grocery clerks that I’m gluten intolerant."

And then I have to explain to them what *that* means.

"I could email you a gluten-and-rice-free all-corn cornbread recipe."

Oh, I’ve got lots of that sort of thing. If we ever find ourselves together in a home setting I’ll have to make you one of my (cheese free) Johnny Cake pizzas. I’ve been doing this for a long, long time, since beyond the hazy beginnings of memory. I’m quite good at it. Oh, and I’m also mildly allergic to corn. You become allergic to what you are exposed to. Perversely I’m thus not allergic to wheat.

"Are you familiar with "Living Without" magazine?"

I’ve looked at it. I can’t say I found it useful. Like I said, I’m quite good at it already. Maybe I should take a crack at writing for them though.

KFG

Posted by .

I smuggle contraband of forbidden whistles into the country with y case, saying I just have my pipes to any curious authority figures.

"…definitely not a turtle."

P.S. I’ve enjoyed having intercourse with you, but you’re right, I’m still not a turtle.

KFG

Posted by .

Haven’t heard that asked in a long tine so the answer is

You bet your sweet a** I am!!!

Somewhere I think I came a turtle club membership card from the mid 60s

Posted by .

Pipe case: floss so i can wrap the tennons or adapt a new chanter, blue tak for drone reed issues, a tuner-why???, a $20 humidity gage, my popping strap and some spare reeds
Fiddle case: sweet tone D whistle, 2 clumps of rosin, a clamp on tuner, a cloth to wipe the strings
Music bag- my mini disk recorder, a foldup music stand and a copy of John Walsh’s Pipe friendly tune book.

Posted by .

Two points, I_Fel. My father-in-law was one; the only thing I think he ever joined.

KFG, LOL! Although it doesn’t have to be a beer. (I know about celiacs and beer; like I said, a buddy of mine…) I could buy you a whisky. My father-in-law used to make it a glass of wine.
I guess I shop at hip grocery stores; co-ops and such are usually kind-of-sort-of up on food issues. Although my current co-op hasn’t figured out that many people who can’t do gluten also can’t do casein, and they have no CLUE about cross-contamination. I do have to explain to waitstaff a lot, though. Which is why I tend to find a couple of safe restaurants and stick to ‘em.
Do write for Living Without. It needs you. It’s a mixed bag, better than nothing but could use improvement.
Just don’t get yourself turned into a precious Mao button to be distributed in the region of Thud, ok?

"I could buy you a whisky."

Opinion is divided on the safety of whiskey. I’m inclined to think it’s perfectly safe myself though and have been known to have a wee dram now and again. Cognac and sake are my tipples of choice though. A decent Merlot is nice now and again.

Frankly, I just don’t tipple much. I’ve known a couple of turtles though. I’ve known a couple of just about everything.

I’m not much of a joiner though. I watch. Heck, I even participate, I just don’t join. Utah Phillips hinted at me a couple of times that he could sign me up for the IWW on the spot, but I’m too independent to be an anarchist, let alone a Wobbly. Discordia is far too organized for my tastes.

I am a card carrying, honorary member of the Fat Folk Singers Association (all 130 pounds of me, hence the honorary status).I didn’t join, the honor was thrust upon me. Founders Al McKenny and Dave Van Ronk took a shine to me for some reason. Either that or they took a shine to my girlfriend at the time who (all 5’ 2" of her) outweighed me by a bit.

Their motto is (reading it from the card):

Cio sia grasso, ma cio non sono stupido

"…they have no CLUE about cross-contamination."

Yes, that’s the true bain of my existence and has gotten me into trouble a few times. I am, in the words of one research paper I once read, " exquisitely" sensitive to gluten. Such a wonderful word. That’s why I remember the paper. Hey, I’m exquisite. Lucky me.

"Just don’t get yourself turned into a precious Mao button to be distributed in the region of Thud, ok?"

Well, I’m already pretty well distributed to the poor, but frankly, I plan on coming back as a rabbit in New Jersey.

And something’s going to get me sooner or later. I don’t worry about it much.

KFG

Posted by .

in my flute case:
-a flute (never)
-2 whistles (clarke D and generation C)
-mini screwdriver
-teaspoon
-2 cleaning clothes (still in wrappers, never been used)
-pair of tweezers
-a folkus leaflet
-the timetable for last years folkworks summer school
-odd bits of music
-cleaning rod (again, never been used)
-Phil Brown’s business card
-crumbs from a long forgotten snack
-comb
-and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeee

And all of this is fitted into the vast expanse of a Trevor James flute case.

Used to be wire cutters, pliers, crochet hook(for strings) etc, etc, but airport security took them from me at Edinburgh airport, frightened that I crocheted a scarf and hung the pilot???
Re Phil Smillie, is he not still with the Tannahill Weavers?

fiddle, bow, shoulder-stand, old orange roisin that I don’t use, new brown rosin that I do use, gaoth dobhair pharmancy shampoo price sticker, small figurine of rabbit wearing waistcoat and playing fiddle, some fluff, a hairband and a 20p coin.

Posted by .

Fiddle and bow, shoulder rest, rosin, pens, 2 kg of sheet music (I don’t learn by ear), and other appropriate stuff like different types of mutes (my neighbours hate my fiddle) and a red pair of silky nickers (all kinds of use).

Posted by .

In my case:
The bodhran of doom … mwahahahahahahaaaargh!

*kof*
Sorry about that. Don’t know what came over me.

K.

Aren’t they all 🙂

right now, a tuning fork, a kitchen towel (don’t forget your towel!), some rosin, some sheet music (haydn and mozart, no real music) and an empty hip flask (beer and whisk(e)y in swedish pubs in expensive!). My fiddle and bow is currently on my bed. For about 42 more seconds, since I’m on my way to play some tunes right after I hit "post"…

Posted by .

Just to clarify…

The only reason I’ve got haydn and mozart in my case is because there are no fiddle teachers available through my school, so I take violin lessons. Right. There you have it. But I won’t let it affect my fiddling. Promise ;)

Posted by .

At least not in a negative way, that is…

Posted by .

bother, i just wrote a reply and the computer deleted it!
here goes again- i had to look in my case!:

fiddle
dodgy bow (new one soon hopefully)
space for 3 more bows
shoulder rest - really comfy- it bends to fit your shoulder
spare strings plus old unbroken g-string after 5.5 yrs of service on the fiddle
2 inch long pencil
nail scissors
ancient cleaning cloth covered in muck
cheapo rosin- shouldn’t let mum buy it for me
scrunched-up tissue
Christmas gift tag from when fiddle was given to me
zip bag with cloth for viol polish
occasionally zip bag with viol polish
zip bag with million other cloths
zip bag containing 2 plastic pegs for music (so it doesnt blow away), 4 spare rubber feet for shoulder rest, some old but unused band-aids, bobby pins- good for tightening a loose chin-rest, heart-shaped paper clips for music (present from long ago), old hair tie and bit of paper from latest set of strings
in the top pocket, only a bit of paper with notes from an english exam, and normally whatever music i’m lugging around
a paper clip used as a zip on the outside- one zipper broke off
and a tartan bow and butterfly keyring also on the outside so i can tell which case is mine in the school storeroom…

thats a lot more stuff than i thought, and i just cleaned it out recently- hence the zip bags, cos they keep it tidier and less sticky!

oops, and a mute- rubber thing for school/exam pieces

Normally a melodeon, a clutch of whistles and one or more bin-bags to carry the caboodle in when it rains. In crowded sessions I use it as a stool and/or stuff my anorak and pullover(s) in it for the duration. Somewhere there’s probably some music manuscript paper; now and then a newspaper, useful if one turns up at 7.30 and the other players turn up at 9.30.

Flute, stick and cloth to clean it, no room even for the cork grease. But it’s a lovely small case. Sorry to be so boring…

In addition to the fiddle and two bows - in the flip-lid above the peg-box is a small-jack-to-big-jack lead, pair of nail clippers and a tin of rosin; beneath the neck of the fiddle is a tuner and a pub-prop table clamp (indispensable) and shoulder rest; and in the zip-up compartment is some music a small notebook and a pack of spare strings.

Separate bag carries the pre-amp and other leads…