not my idea

Re: not my idea

How stupid you are!

You silly, silly man!

Sir, your airs of importance offend me!

Friggin’ idiot. That is how stupid you are ;)

Posted by .

I am sorry to inform you, sir, that your band naming license has been revoked for malpractice.

Having clever thoughts that other clever people have already had is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put .

Please report to the Whipping With a Wet Noodle Room for the penalty phase.

KFG

Posted by .

Ooops =\

Crannog,
Dear fellow,
I have even worse news for you…
I have just been listening to a band called… ‘Crannog’ play a set beginning with The Clumsy Lover …
I’m afraid your very existance is plagiaristic.
I am so, so, so very sorry….

its the luck of the Irish!

Overall, Crannog, I should say you’re well and truly stuffed there mate. The whole world is obviously against you. When I felt like that a few weeks ago I threw myself into the sea. But someone drew my fair body from the wave and made a harp out of my breastbone.

I’m now very popular at parties, wakes and ritual cursings of kin.

thank you for all your expressions of true sympathy - i take the noodle. But my plagiaristic existence will continue since a good friend from Ireland told me there once was at least one crannog in every second loch…

Actually things have moved on since then. All the Crannogs are going to be amalgamated into a big Barratt Crannog to be sited in the middle of Lough Neagh. There can only be one…

Conán, Showaddy, stop it! This is getting too surreal, indirected, painfully funny 🙂

Re: my idea of work

Don’t suppose many of you are interested in SCD. If you are, there is a mass of info on the above website on the "ceilidh dancing" button.

What on earth is SCD - Scottish Ceili Disease perhaps? Scots Cant Dance? Shocking Crappy Drumming?

I think we’ve got the idea Breandan….

They have a lovely green knotwork door to the brewery at Crannog ales (that’s at http://www.crannogales.com). It would make an ideal security entrance for the gated community at Crannog Mews®

Ha, showaddy! I told you that would happen.

Posted by .

Hey Breandan, fancy going to the "Feste d’Autumn", whatever the hell that is? I must remember to bring my packe de vingt-quatre et uno bottelli de Buckfaste

Are these the renfairies that steal the plectrums?

Hey - is that Gandhi in the fifth picture?

Does anyone else find these Renfair-type things a bit disconcerting? Apologies to anyone on the board who attends them but they remind me of "Mediaeval world" in Westworld.

What’s the standard of music like?

Conan there’s no problem with the hijack - it has already been established that crannog who started the thread has no legal right to exist, so there can hardly be any comeback.

I *was* your idea. It was just somebody else’s first. A case of delayed morphic resonance. No Neolithic Briton was ever sued by a Neolithic Indonesian for inventing the flint spearhead ten years after him.

Yeah, that’s because patents and lawyers weren’t invented yet.

Dave, let’s talk about the weather then! p*ssing down in London right now.

You were crannog’s idea, goat? How did he talk your parents into it?

Well, the Goats were Mounting it here, and the Goats were Mounting it there, here there, everywhere, on Old McCrannogs Farm ….

Can someone tell me why this "creative anachronism society" has a half naked, barefoot African serving dinner at their Autumn festival? Does it have something to do with their goal of "recreating the best of the Middle Ages and Renaissance eras"?

… . as in "Hey is that Gandhi?"

It’s probably similar to the sort of parties that the Royal Family in this country throw, where they pick a liberal and enlightened theme like, say, ‘Colonials and Natives’, and then invite Hitler dressed up as Prince Harry, or something…

I always thought it had to do with faking creativity. They’re really not all that hot on anachronism either. They use that word a lot, but I’m not sure it means what they think it means.

Come to think of it, I’m not all that hot on their take on "best" either. I dabbled around with it in my youth, and some of my oldest friends are still active, but it didn’t really work for me.

KFG

Posted by .

Alas, poor Zina; Dave has reduced her to verb status…

What?! What?! Oh. I call that "Web Ferreting", thanks to Tish. ;)

SCAdians? They get awfully snippy if you use a dart or seam style in your costume that’s not authentic, or if you can’t document the historical authenticity of your character’s name and background.
But they fight with lengths of PVC pipe.

I remember the early days of the SCA. It was fun. We had a guy whose "identity" was Fred of Numenor, and our Bard Gerhardt specialized in the rock’n’roll Air Lute. I got out when it became obvious that people actually prefered their SCA lives to their real ones.

"Zina" is quicker to type, though 🙂

Fiddlemouse, yer quite right. I used to play for SCA yulefests etc and a few I know started out in the SCA, were quite frustrated by the same sort of inconsistency you observed, and then left to start other more time-specific and historically-rigorous groups such as the Pike and Musket Society. Some SCAers really wanted to be as authentic as possible but others weren’t so fussed and couldn’t see the problem with dancing to CD music from a ghetto blaster instead of real musicians. It doesn’t seem to work for anybody when some put a lot of work into their research and getting it "right" while others just want some kind of dungeons-and-dragons fantasy night. I found the Pike and Musket events more fun in the end even though they were even snippier about darts and seam styles (and using SILK ribbon, not synthetics!).

Posted by .