Tune Migration

Tune Migration

I’ve recently been trying to track down some of my favorite tunes (I have a couple of things in the tunes section if anyone wants to help me out.) and it got me thinking. You see, I get most of my tunes from people. (The ones I get from paper and recordings just don’t seem to stick the same way.) Because of this I have a hard time remembering the tune names or composers. The only way I get that information is if the person I learn the tune from has it, I have the presence of mind to write it on a piece of paper, or record them saying it (it doesn’t happen often), and I don’t lose said piece of paper or recording (with my organizational skills it’s not likely). I do, however, remember the tune, who gave me the tune and, oddly enough, where they got the tune if they happen to say.

At this point you’re probably thinking "So, where does the migration part come in?". Well, I know there is someone in Cannada who knows a tune that I gave said Cannadian after learning it from a girl from Japan that I met in Donegal (No, sorry, I don’t know what it’s called). This is one of many examples. So, how far (just person to person, recordings don’t count) have some of your tunes traveled to get to you? How far have they traveled since? I wonder if I’ve learned any tunes from people that have learned them from any of you. Food for thought.

-Kira

Re: Tune Migration

Hi Kira,
We met in Donegal a few years ago - had some tunes at your apartment with your friend the math student when the Drunken Landlady (tm) came down and asked my opinion of the "Chinese food" [sic(k)] [for thought] we had that night. Nice to see you here.
I don’t know how far the tunes have actually traveled, but I tend to pick tunes that sound like they came from Mars. Like that strange John Naughton jig from Open Hearth. [Sorry - a recording.] The A part is G Major hexatonic, but the B part starts on F and puts the tune into G mix and sends guitarists into a panic. I played it for Jackie Daly a few weeks ago and he played something it reminded him of in a different mode. I didn’t get the name (not sure if he told me or not).
OK…I’m rambling.

Gary

Hey Gary!

Yeah, I remember that night. Wow, that was three years ago. It was sort of surreal. Mike, the math guy is now in Chicago, and don’t really know what ever became of the Drunken Landlady. I just remember her saying something like, "I don’t know what’s wrong. I’ve only had two glasses of wine." Never mind the fact that they were full pint glasses. We did get a few good tunes in, if I recall. It’s good to hear from you again.

Thanks for the links slainte. Now I’m even more in awe of Will Harmon. I ran into Bang Your Frog on the Sofa yesterday while browsing in the tunes section. Now I’m led to the Dreary Plains of Toil. Brilliant tunes man!