Any Novel/book suggestions?

Any Novel/book suggestions?

Im looking for a nice book to read.Something about ITM would be nice. I dont want just a fact book though, I want a story. Perhaps historical fiction or a novel or something. Any ideas?

Re: Any Novel/book suggestions?

I very much enjoyed the memoirs of Packie Manus Byrne, "Recollections of a Donegal Man", which was edited/ghosted by the session’s own Brother Steve.

http://www.rogermillington.com/recollections.html

It’s not a novel, but it’s not a dry stream of facts, either. Packie seems to have been pathologically incapable of being dull.

And you’ll learn a lot about ITM in teh culture.

Posted by .

Thanks guys. I let you know what I think of some of the books after I read them. I think Im going to start with "the sinner" because I like the 60s. Whats the memoirs of packie manus byrne about?

His life. If you click on the link, there’s a substantial blurb & some extracts.

Posted by .

Sounds good. Maybe Ill read that one first. Apparently "the sinner" is out of print, so it may be hard to find

The multitalented Brian McNeill (fiddler and founder member of the Battlefield Band) has a couple of books out - The Busker seems popular on the net and I think there’s a new one out now.

If his novels are anywhere as near as good as his songs they’ll be well worth reading.

And I read Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx (spelling?) a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, so I’d recommend that one. Not much to do with ITM, mind.

Eno 😉

"Last Night’s Fun" by Ciaran Carson, necessary reading for anyone interested in Irish music.

Are you coming up to Longmont today? I’ll bring you Last Night’s Fun to borrow if you like, Anna.

Try: Ireland, a bicycle and a tinwhistle
by David A wilson

http://www.mqup.mcgill.ca/book.php?bookid=741

A travel book about, you guessed it, a chap who travels all over Ireland on a bicycle and goes to every session he can find.

B McKim

I wish I was coming to longmont today zina, but my backs bothering me alot so Im trying to take it easy with playing and such. Have a good time though. I would love to borrow your book sometime. Perhaps when I see you again on another sunday?

No troubles, Anna — hope your back feels better soon — have you had that MRI yet? I’ve three books set aside for you — Last Night’s Fun, Heartbeat of Irish Music and Around Ireland with a Fridge. 🙂

ACtually, if you like, I can drop them off in Boulder on our way back down from Longmont — call me at the Small Circle betw. 12 and 2 if you want to give me your address and give me directions!

Its about three now, and I have just read your message. Thanks for the offer but I have a feeling you have already left. Hope your day is going well. I had my MRI yesterday. It was an odd experience kind of like my impression of being stuck in an overhead ben of an airplane. I will get the results on tuesday. I will talk to you later.

Maybe I’ll run them by your house tomorrow, Anna — not much fun being stuck at home not able to play, so you might as well be able to read something nice!

Wow. Lightening speed. Impressive. I wonder if he’s got a phone booth and a fancy outfit.

thanks zina. However if its too much trouble please dont bother, just if your in the neighborhood or something.

I Could Read the Sky - Timothy O’Grady ISBN 1 86046 508 0
- about the experience of Irish emmigrants in England, much about the music, beautifully written.

McCarthy’s Bar - by ermm somebody McCarthy. A brilliant and quite recent travel book. Brilliant, hilarious and quite a bit about the music.

And if you like the one about bicycles and tin whistles you might enjoy (OMG, I sound like an Amazon pop up) The Third Policeman by Flann O’Brien - nothing to do with music, but lots about bicycles. A hoot. ISBN 0 08749 4

Posted by .

It’s not about music, but it’s about Ireland: BY THE LAKE by John McGahern, Vintage, 0679744029. It’s a very pleasing kind of read, sort of like Edna O’Brien without making the authorities so angry they’d kick the author out of the country. Of course, Edna is wonderful, and much more fun to read than William Trevor.
But getting back on the topic of music, I heartily agree with the previous recommendation of Ciaran Carson’s LAST NIGHT’S FUN. Basic, basic, basic. I also find myself returning time and again to the interviews in THE NORTHERN FIDDLER, which out of print sadly enough.
There is also Henry Glassie’s PASSING THE TIME IN BALLYMENONE, Indiana U. Press, 0253209870, which is about music and much, much more.
If you read Irish you will enjoy a new book from Lillis /O Laire, Ar Chreag I L/ar na Farraige, Cl/o Iar-Chonnachta, 1902420365. It comes with a CD. I heard rumor this book may be available soon in English. I’ve done pennance long enough trying to read the Irish.

I just finished Watership Down. Highly reccommended if you didn’t get to it in highschool.

Isn’t there a few Paddy Tunney books about?I seem to remember seeing one once called,i think ‘Stone Fiddle’.Never read it so dont know what it’s like but he was a fine singer all the same.

"Plant" - Dorling Kindersley

It is a beautiful book, well designed and with content to keep you dipping in continually - for those with a love of plants. I’ve been wanting something like this for ages - the origins and life histories, pictures, maps… Yeah, I’m nuts about plants, with a touch of the obsessive about trees. So, if you love such things, and your library isn’t all ITM, well, this is a lovely book, and if you know someone with such a passion - it would make a great gift. It’s sort of one of those large coffee table like things, definitely big enough to keep your lap warm…

Paddy Tunney

Paddy had planned for there to be three books. As far as I know he only did the two:

"The Stone Fiddle: My Way to Traditional Song"
G. Dalton Pub.,1979
Hardcover - 192 pages
ISBN: 0862330165
Appeltree Press, 1992
Paperback - 192 pages
ISBN: 086281300X

"Where Songs do Thunder: Travels in Traditional Song"
Appeltree Press, 1991
Paperback - 192 pages
ISBN: 0862812925

http://www.comhaltas.com/education/Treoir/2003Tr2/paddytunney.htm

https://thesession.org/discussions/1163

http://www.folktrax.freeserve.co.uk/menus/cassprogs/164.htm

A grand and dear man, father, husband, friend, poet, philosopher, singer, and ‘dancer’…great kick!

Colm Toibin’s "The Blackwater LIghtship" has a fine description of a kitchen session in the first chapter, nicely intergrated into the action, with a real feeling for the dynamics between the musicians and the party they are only part of. No further ITM in the book, which is a finely written, but often grim account of a family dealing with AIDS. Well worth the reading, but not for the music content alone.