Queen’s Traditional Group

Queen’s Traditional Group

hey everybody,

just an update about the Queen’s Traditional Group. It is going really well. I must admit I was getting worried that we mightn’t pull it off but after last nights rehearsal I am more confident!

Anyone who didn’t see the posting last year I am talking about a new group that myself and a fellow student, Mairead set up to introduce Irish music into the department at Queen’s. If anyone is around the Belfast area and is interested in joining up - and partaking in the concert on 14th March (so soon ah!), feel free to come along on Wednesdays 5-7 in the Harty Room in the Music Dept.

Also keep an eye out for posters around campus and the surrounding area advertising the concert/rehearsals! Spread the word….

mary

Re: Queen’s Traditional Group

For a moment I thought you were going to tell us that dear old Liz had taken up the Uillean Pipes. Together with Prince Phil the Fluter, they could call themselves Winds-R-Us.

As a former alumnus of Queen’s I’m very glad to hear that traditional music is becoming established again. When I was there we had a fledgling group but all we seemed to do was sit in the Bunatee on a Friday afternoon and get absolutely blootered. Fair play to you, Mary!

Conán McDonnell

As a fellow alumni of QUB, I played at the festival on a Chinese Hero mouth organ, which cost 7 and 6, about 37p now, and I think you can buy them for that. As they were all in C my mate played a C whistle, generation for sure. That was the group, playing airs and tunes in C on a mouth organ and whistle. Shows you how little music there was then.

Get in touch with JfiddlerH from this site, he has been trying to find something like that for 4 years, and we have been trying to get rid of him for 5 years. (nobody has yet told me how to do those smiley things) Actually it’s six years.

Should anyone be interested in learning how to play a traditional instrument, the Belfast Set Dancing and Traditional Music Society based at the Crescent Arts Centre, University Road, Belfast run classes, workshops and events throughout the year. It is not too late to enrol! Full details of events can be found at www.belfasttrad.com. We are running a beginners Set Dance Workshop in the Crescent Arts Centre on Sat 23 Sept. starting 10.30 am with a Ceilí that evening starting 9pm. Guaranteed a great day!! Nuala