Changes to The Session

Changes to The Session

I’m now going to transgress my own rule about not posting discussions about the running of this website. Call it webmaster’s prerogative. πŸ˜‰ It’s become clear that some people would like to discuss some recent changes to the site so this is the place to do so.

I’ve been making lots of little tweaks behind the scenes here at The Session. Most of them should be completely unnoticable. Some of them should return faster search results in some sections and I’ve homogenised the way that results are displayed.

There was a little glitch there for a while with submitting things to the site from certain browsers. That’s all cleared up now. Sorry about the inconvenience.

There’s a couple of small, subtle new features in the members area. Whenever you look at the "history" tab for a member, you can click on the number displayed for tunes, requests, recordings, sessions and discussions submitted. This will bring back a list of all the submissions by that person.

You can try it out on mine. If you go here:
https://thesession.org/members/1/history
you can click on any of the numbers that are links.

The change that you have all noticed by now is the introduction of graphical emoticons. It’s a fairly limited range and I hope they’re not too intrusive. I guess they’ll take some getting used to.

Finally, I’ve introduced a tip jar.

If you look at the navigation menu, you’ll see a "make a donation" button at the bottom. Clicking this will take you to PayPal where you can make a donation via an existing PayPal account or credit card.

I’ve introduced this donation system because the costs of hosting The Session have increased since moving servers. I don’t really make any money from The Session Shop so I looked into a number of different options, such as Google Ads, but I thought they would be too intrusive. I’ve tried to make the donation button as discrete and unobtrusive as possible. I hope you don’t mind its presence.

I should make clear that there is absolutely no obligation to give a donation at all. And if you do, there is no minimum amount.

Still, if you enjoy using The Session and you’d like help out with the running of the site, all donations are gratefully received (and thanks to those of you who have already donated - that was quick!).

If anybody finds any gremlins in the system caused by any of the new changes, post it here in this discussion.

If there’s some site feature you’d like to see implemented, post it here in this discussion.

If you have any questions about the donation system, post it here in this discussion.

If you’d like to discuss the merits of drawbacks of emoticons, well, I guess you’re going to do it anyway so go ahead and post it here in this discussion.

Re: Changes to The Session

As long as it’s *in the tradition*.

If it makes you happy…

I’ve always wondered how you get those little smiley faces to come up in responses to discussions that some people seem to manage to get - and sad faces too. Is this a great session secret or can someone tell me how to do it??

Incidentally, do you think that if you smile when you play that it comes out through your music? (or vice versa if you’re miserable)

Can you find a meaner version of this one? πŸ˜›

I can’t imagine when I would ever need this one. 😎

πŸ˜€

In the FAQs, could you maybe post the ASCII version of the emoticons and the graphic versions you get using them? And can I please please please vote that we never ever have available the kind of emoticons that are animated? They’re cute, but a whole page of them makes me dizzy!

Re: If it makes you happy…

mike,
1. be glad you’re not bothered with πŸ™‚
2. it deffinatly translates in my music if i laugh!
when i burst into laughter, there’s no more sound …
that’s why i play eyes closed!
when i feel miserable, i don’t feel like playing,
but then again, if i play, smiles come back …
… and energy! loads of it! if i played well!
(the more energetic i feel after a concert, the better i’ve played)

mm

Posted by .

Definitely. It’s pretty subjective, but when I study the faces of the players who really do it for me, they always have anything from a blissed-out faint smile to an all out grin. (Although I the flute players have to grin with their eyes.)

and i know my spelling is bad …

Posted by .

Yeah, but even if you’re happy and you know it, please don’t clap your hands.

My son, who is never tired of providing honest feedback, says I look "funny" when I’m playing. I think he means I grimace with concentration or something. Oh, well. Me and Julian Bream are good company.

Posted by .

I smile when *other* people are playing. Sometimes when they do something clever, it even makes me laugh. (Which I really should try to contain, because it could easily be taken the wrong way.)

Jeremy, I don’t think the "next" button is working correctly on the discussions submitted, at least on my browser. If I click on the "23" in your history, a page of 20 discussions comes up. If I then click "next", it simply shows the same 20.

Does that count as a tip?

Posted by .

Jeremy, I clicked the "tune’s submitted" number for you, as you suggested, and noticed two odd things; 1) It showed the Bally Desmond tune twice, and 2) there were multiple tune submissions on certain days from you. Now my understanding is that we can only submit one tune per day… isn’t that right?

(Can’t you just see Jeremy bending forward with his head in his hands and shaking it right about now?) (I wonder if there’s an emotocon for that?)

Oh, Kerri, this one, 😎 is for when you’ve just said something that’s way cool.

Hi Jeremy,
I don’t know if this is a "new" feature, or if it’s always been here, but I notice that in my tunebook section, when I download the abc file, all the "variations" which have been posted in comments on the tune are listed below the original submitted tune below a "W:" field. This is unfriendly to the program I use to generate my sheet music. Is there an alternate way we can think of doing this? How about using the "P:" field, which will separate each variation as a "Part" instead of mashing it all together (which is what abcm2ps does). I would just use the "print" button to view the html version of my tunebook, but often, when I print, tune titles get separated from the music, and other anomalies occur.

Also, some people apparently submit tunes via copy-and-paste from some Windows editors, and they end up with some funny characters in the abc source (I get ^M and ! sometimes, which I know the ^M is a MS-DOS linefeed). This kinda screws with my abc program as well.

And finally, I don’t know how this will fly with others, but how about the ability to download other peoples’ tunebooks? For instance, Brad, who runs the session I go to, has a huge tunebook, which is basically the tunebook for the session he runs. It would be nice to simply be able to download *his* abc and work with that.

Oh, and if any of this gets implemented, I promise to drop a cookie in the jar. How’s that for bribery πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Try laughing while you’re playing the flute.

I’m not answering for Jeremy, but I always edit the code that downloads from the site… any site. It’s a good idea to get an elementary idea about how the code works in order to be able to access all the different stuff that’s out there.

that’s why, jack, that’s why … (see above)
mm

Posted by .

Looks like this could become the Pandora’s Box of threads. πŸ™‚

One thing I’d like to see in the tunes section would a way to view not only how many tunebooks the tune has been added to, but whose tunebook. When you submit a tune it would be nice to have an easy way to see who thought enough of it to add it.

Chris, why don’t you just get Brad to email his tunebook to you?

Actually, I know my way very well around abc, and I can (and have) edit the abc myself. It’s just that every time I add new tunes to my tunebook, and I want to "refresh" my tunebook, I’d have to re-edit the abc for each tune. I’m a programmer by trade, so I could probably write a little tool to filter out the stuff I don’t want (I’ve thought about this anyway - there are abc Perl modules available on CPAN), but there’s no need to re-invent the wheel.

hey, fiddleyouthat,
that’s a feature i completely back! i would also like to see who put those (few) tunes into their tunebook.
mm

Posted by .

Many times I will download a tune but not add it to my tunebook. I suspect others do this too, so I don’t think the number for how many people put the tune in their tunebook reflects anything useful or accurate necessarily.

I have an idea for a button to add to the session.org — spellcheck!

Indeed, I agree completely.
Im sure it does come out through your music, your mood in general, whether you intend for it or not. Even if you do start playing in a bad or can’t be arsed mood a few tunes is usually enough to put it right - unless im playing crap, which does happen more than id like it to.

While you’re all here.
when you’re playing a tune, any tune, would you consider that you know it well when you stop needing to think about playing it when your playing it?? I mean like autopilot I guess. It seems to happen more with drink, I dont know if this is because I seem to relax a bit more and worry less about making mistakes or if its just mental numbness - which may well be the case.

And finally will somebody tell me how to get the faces on the screen as I want to be able to do them too :(

I agree Jack, it would not be an accurate measure of anything, a lot of regular posters don’t even keep tunebooks here. But I think it would be nice none the less.

Ken

πŸ™‚ welcome to Walmart

Notice how no one has answered your first question. I must be drowning a few brain cells in stout, but I thought I had posted something yesterday, and the discussion disappeared later that day. There must be a "higher power" watching us here. Almost feeling religious now, and here I am confessing. I can’t remember everything, but it was either a dark conspiracy, a dork conspiracy or a dark dork conspiracy. Oh well! I’m probably putting my post at risk of being vanished again by the Session God. Back to the stout. I probably won’t remember tomorrow.

Are we all here? (looks around) 😏

That’s part of what practice will bring you — the ability to play on a sort of "auto-pilot." I find that I feel happier and more relaxed after a tune has gotten into the meat of my fingers, (muscle memory,) and I might even be smiling for all I know.

Shhhhhh…. Ceol…. he might be watching.

Emoticons are to be discussed in the "Changes to The Session" thread.

Jeremy

(not really Jeremy, I’m just helping out to make up for how I make his life so difficult.) πŸ˜‰

I would like to see an index for emoticons that explains how to get them and what’s possible. (And thank you for not offering any of those annoying animated ones, Jeremy… I mean it —- thank you)

Tis the Almighty Higher Power Himself? And his name be Jeremy? You see all the important things you learn at this website. (mischievious smiley emoticon face goes here).

Jeremy,

The architecture of this site is fabulous. It is easy to use.

The architecure of the discussion board is head and shoulders above any other I have seen. (I have seen only about a dozen max - I am no internet guru). Thesession.org discussion board is so readable, so relaxing, because of the architecture.

I would find it to be an improvement if the boxes used for posting comments / sending e-mails, initiating discussions were wider. It would be easier to review / edit posts before posting them. That yellow space over there to the right is not being used for anything else, anyway…..

Thanks for a great site!

How did my emoticon question get on this thread when I submitted it on the "Changes to The Session" one? (looks around suspiciously) hmmmm

Oh, wait — this IS the "Changes to The Session" thread. (studies headings again) hmmm… oh, I see… the ones from the "If it makes you happy" thread moved over here. spooky (I wonder do we have a ‘spooky’ emoticon.

maybe that’s what this one’s for. 😎 Huge pink eyes are pretty spooky.

No no no… that’s the ‘I just said something way cool’ one, Kerri.

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some responses to some of the points:

Jack, the Ballydesmond polkas you are seeing are not the same tune. The tunes that appear to be submitted on the same day date from earlier iterations of this site. That date is when this version went live.

Grego, thanks for pointing out the previous/next issue with searching discussions. It’s fixed now.

FyfferGuy, I could make it possible to download other people’s tunebooks. If nobody objects, maybe I’ll implement that.

Listing all the people who have a tune in their tunebooks would be overkill: it would take up far too much space. If you’re interested in seeing what tunes have been added to tunebooks the most, you can always look here:
https://thesession.org/members/index.php/tunebook

I’ve just had four e-mail reminders from "The Session webmaster" of my login and password.

Is she going to blow?

Posted by .

What about the emoticon index? …and spellcheck?

Grego, did you recently update your username, password or email? You automatically get a reminder every time you do any of those things.

If not, then someone must have entered your email address into the "forgotten your password?" form.

That’s funny. I didn’t get any. πŸ™

Jack, I’m not sure if I’ll bother with an emoticon index. They aren’t intended to be an integral part of the site: just a small added extra.

In fact, if I see people posting stuff just for the sake of using emoticons, I’ll probably pull them completely.

So I don’t really see the point of an emoticon index. Use whatever emoticon best fits what you want to express. Some will be replaced with images, some won’t. No big deal.

Ah-hah! Yes, I tried some changes and undid each of them.

Thanks Jeremy.

(insert embarrased-face emoticon here.)

Posted by .

Then I guess it’s ok to embark on an emoticon experiment?

πŸ™‚

πŸ™

😎

8-(

8-/

😏

;-/

;-( (can you wink and frown?)

8-(

8-P

😲

:-0

:-o

Experiment closed

"If anybody finds any gremlins in the system caused by any of the new changes, post it here in this discussion."

Konquerer 3.0.5a now returns a nearly blank, yellow page. I get the left hand site menu and the menu bar at the top, but without any menu items in it.

If I switch to Mozilla 1.1 everything’s fine.

Yeah, I know, I haven’t upgraded in awhile.

KFG

Posted by .

gremlins? 😲

Ooops! (surprised emoticon) We changed again, and I still have those memory cells (thinking emoticon). I didn’t know about the rule about discussing the website. Sorry! (sad face emoticon) This is one of those moments when you can read an internet message and you can’t see the facial expression or body language behind to give it the intended "spin." (dizzy emoticon) At any rate, your work in managing this site is very much appreciated. This site is excellent, …even the wee emoticonies. (smiley face emoticon).

I submitted a question yesterday asking how you do those smiley things, you never know when you might need them, but it disappeared. I am too set in my ways to learn.

By the way, what are graphsomethingorother emoticons?

Hi David,

Don’t you find 20 of the recent comments to be enough?

I agree with David — having an option for 200 would be good if you’ve been away for a while. Maybe if you put a button at the bottom of the 20 newest comments page?

Here’s a probably-easy-to-do feature that I would like to see incorporated into the session. Sometimes I want to just browse the tune archives in a random way, as opposed to browsing "hornpipes in G" or "reels in C". The only way you can do this is by going to search, then all tunes in all keys. This brings up the A’s, which is fine, and you can browse them, but if the following day you want to browse deeper into the archives (say x y and z) you’d have to click a million times on "next page". If you simply had a listed alphabet at the bottom of the page you could do an effective random browse of all tune types (random, since the names don’t have anything to do with the tune genre or key). This feature would also be usefully incorporated into the big members’ tunebook, so that you could search 1-20, 20-40, 40-60 or sth similar, just as you can with Google’s line of numbers at the bottom where you can jump from page 1 to page 10, say.

First off: This site is fantastic Jeremy: thanks!

Here’s a wish, but I guess it would be difficult to implement….

I wish there was a way to search/find recordings by particular artists and pull up individual tracks as well as entire albums recorded under an artist’s name. For example, Milestone at the Garden, an anthology of Irish fiddle music from the 78 RPM Era added by Jeremy himself (respectful bow to our benefactor) lists the artist as "Irish Fiddle Masters from the 78 RPM Era", whereas other anthologies/compilations list the artist as "Various Artists" (like Paddy in the Smoke). But the single tracks by Denis Murphy or by Sean Ryan on the Milestone CD would be worth the purchase price of the whole disc to me (never mind the other amazing fiddlers on the disc!). I would love to be able to type in "Denis Murphy" and find discs that had him on them, even on only a single track; but if that sort of information were searchable all the old entries under recordings wouldn’t have it (though sometimes this sort of stuff is put in the comments). I guess adding something like that would require a volunteer effort to update recordings piecemeal by people as they had time…. Anyway, that’s one wish, because a site that gave complete searchable discographical information including label, catalogue number etc. would be fantastic…. We’d have to build it up over time, of course… But I suppose that’s a little outside the province of this site which focuses on Sessions, after all! The site just seems so wondrous already that I fantasize….

As a halfway measure it would be great if there were a new category in links for links to record companies’ sites or archives (that make/made ITM records), or a category for miscellaneous discographical sites, or even for all the various online stores that sell ITM (or even brick stores) (though this would hurt the site’s own Shop, but maybe the Donations Tin can make up for that, or we could all vow to buy CDs available through the Shop only through this site….

Sorry if I’m a bit "recordings" obsessed in this post but I am not yet fit really to play at sessions and I am trying to take the "listen, listen, listen" approach.

Again, thanks to Jeremy! πŸ™‚

First

I agree. The clearest, cleanest discussion site I have visited.
Vote of admiration.

Maybe one suggested change?
In the tune types, perhaps a ‘Miscellaneous" option for those things that don’t fit anywhere. I have submitted a few Irish-Balkan tunes that seem to have inflitrated the tradition. i was putting them in Barndance. But that worried a keen barndance player. So I stopped submitting. Its a matter of Jeremy’s sense of where the ITM session tradition begins and ends I suppose.

Neil

Ditto ditto ditto to all the nice things people have been saying about this site.
If you want to work out how to do some of the cool emoticons just hold the cursor over them and it should show you how they were constructed.
I would agree that 20 isn’t enough ideally for the number of recent postings to the discusssion comments, especially when you have been away for more than 24hrs.
Cheers
Donough

Ooh, speaking of the links section, I have to say I don’t really like it. I never use it. It’s unwieldy. It would be more useful if it were searchable in some way that didn’t involve having to guess which category people have stuck their links into and scroll down the ever growing list. I’ve never understood why it doesn’t have a search field like every other part of the site. That way if you were looking for, say, a hurdy-gurdy maker, you wouldn’t have to read through 117 entries to find out there isn’t one listed. (Or maybe there is. I only made it up to "fancybanjo" before I got bored and gave up.

Also, with a keyword search you could find a bunch of sites in different categories that are related by some factor the current system doesn’t account for. Like, I don’t know, say I wanted to know everything there is to know about whistles, I could get tutorials, musician sites, whistling festivals (god forbid there should ever be such a thing), whistler blogs, whistle chatrooms, and whistle merchants all in one fell swoop.

I know, I know, that’s what google is for. Still, having the members here posting links provides a nice filter for irrelevant hits. (Well, theoretically, anyway).

I think I’m short one of these: ) (and by this I mean a closing bracket, not a disemfacened smile). Insert at will. (and by this I mean "volition", not Mr. Harmon)

"If there is some site feature you would like to see implemented, post it here in this discussion" - Jeremy.

Not being particularly IT savvy, I don’t know how do-able this is, those better able than I might be able to throw some light on it.
Here’s a free software program (there’s probably others too) which enables an internet-wide search and legal download of song/tune tracks to a pc. The tune can then be played free of charge on that pc. It can also be copied to a CD for a small fee (around 99 cents). Part of this then goes as a royalty back to the artist. I think part of the deal is that there would be some ads - but if they were in the genre anyway, would that be too bad?

Maybe having this linked somehow to this site, might be of benefit to everyone here, help to defray some website costs, and help artists financially at the same time through royalties, if something could be negotiated.

http://www.qtrax.com/

Jeremy?

I agree with Northumbrian, I would like a random way of browsing tunes or an easier way of getting further into the list without having to click next page for ages.
But other than that I have absolutely no complaints about this wonderful site!

testing

πŸ™‚

;-/

😎

Duijera Dubh, you can post a link and a description of the site in the "links" section I was just complaining about.

I do have a suggestion.

Jeremy this would not only aid those of us who key in our tidbits in Word first, but any one who has to use Word. That being, a new key for the keyboard specifically designed to work in Word. New key: β€œDon’t do me any favors”. You design and build that, I think you’d make a fortune. We benefit from not having to fight with Word every time it thinks it knows best how to spell gan ainm.

(It’s been a very long week)

Favours πŸ˜‰

Nope, Word changes favours, to favors. See, the world really needs this new keyboard functionality!!

Thanks Alistair, I need all the chuckles I can get!

You already have the "Don’t do me any favors" option in Word. Just go to Tools->Options, click the "Spelling and Grammar" tab, and uncheck everything. Additionally you probably want to turn off the AutoCorrect Options as well. That’s in Tools->AutoCorrect Options …

Oh I do use that, but I have to help the staff here and they use auto correct and complain constantly, then I have clean up their documents. Maybe Jeremy could build a word processing program, I’d use his in a heart beat.

πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›:-πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›:-Testing-testing-testing.πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›πŸ˜›

😎

Aha! - figured it out now.

testing πŸ˜€ :-> 8-] ^5 πŸ™

Why do some emoticons work and others not? Can anyone give a definitive list of what will work here?

Mind you Breandan, you’d have to be careful typing in the characters, otherwise you’ll just end up with a series of pictures rather than the characters that produce them. e.g. : - ) with spaces in between should be ok

my guesses for emoticons:

πŸ™‚ : - )
πŸ˜‰ ; - )
πŸ™ : - (
😲 : - O
πŸ˜€ : - D
:-* : - *
πŸ˜› : - P
:-[ : - [
:-! : - !
😎 8 - )
B-) B - )
>:-o > : - o
OπŸ™‚ O : - )
:’( : ’ (
:-X : - X
:-$ : - $

Pete

I’m sure I’m not the first to notice this, but if you hover over an emoticon, it shows you what the text characters were that generated it.

Posted by .

Not on my computer. Probably a browser thing.

I noticed that two out of the bunch of my wee emoticonies mutated. Does this have to do with dominant and recessive genes, mom’s secret boyfriend or monitor radioactivity? πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› :!-p πŸ˜› πŸ˜› ::-p πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜› πŸ˜›

If you right-click on one of Jeremy’s emoticons you can,
1. look at its Properties and see that it is indeed a GIF file with a name and of a given size
2. save the emoticon as a GIF file.
(I’m using IE6 as I write this, so the right-click may not necessarily work for all browsers).
Trevor

😏

Posted by .

It’s good to see that we can now view lists of the tunes, discussions, sessions, recordings and tune requests that we have submitted. Many, many thanks, Jeremy, for those tweaks. The further one I’d like to see is one where I would be able to list all the comments I’ve submitted since I joined, for reference when I’m writing a new comment. I realise that this could be a difficult one, but alternatively is there something clever that can be done with the Google search engine that could do the job? Currently (since the beginning of the year) I’m preparing all my posts off-line and saving them in a file. A bit late in the day perhaps, three years down the line, which is one reason why a retrospective list of my comments would be useful.
BTW, what’s all this business with people complaining about Word? DisplayWrite 4 has always been good enough for me.
Trevor

Bliddy hell, Trev. If you right click on someone’s name then go to properties, you get their The Session number, their IQ and their personality problems down to 10 decimal places! WickED!

Only kidding about the last bits, so stop squirming, you lot!

wow! long discussion by the time it gets to pacific standard time. back before the "changes" i could click on the download abc button, then click on open in my abc2win program and get the dots. now, when i click open i get the message "FILE NOT FOUND. FILE IS NOT IN THE LOCATION GIVEN." i get around this by adding everything to my tunebook and constantly downloading the latest version, then deleting the ones i don’t want to keep. it would be much simpler to just open them individually like i used to. any ideas? thanks, don

Posted by .

forgot to say this is the best sight period nothing else comes close. thanks jeremy!

Posted by .

πŸ™‚

IT WORKED!!! IT WORKED!!!

Sorry, just found out how to use those emoticon things :D

DAMN! DAMN!

Sorry (again) that last one didn’t work. :(

Neither did that one.

don’t forget the nose! F-T
πŸ˜‰
mm

Posted by .

FWIW, google’s text ads aren’t very intrusive at all and, especially in discussion forums like this one, often end up being very relevant.

Withak, it’s no good if they don’t fit in with the colour scheme.

The colors in Google text ads aren’t configureable? That’s very surprising.

I have no idea. It’s just an assumption based on other ads I’ve seen. I hate advertising and appreciate having this little refuge from it, that’s all.

Would it be possible to have an option to list the discussions by most recent replies? It would save scrolling back and forth looking for a late answer to an early discussion…and also a way to communicate on old but still current topics like Mighty Craic Online & Virtual Session? Just a thought.

Jim

i’ll back that jim! (listing by most recent reply)
and i too say NO to ads!
mm

Posted by .

Just testing the emoticons I know are used here …

cool 😎 8 - )
wink πŸ˜‰ ; - )
smile πŸ™‚ : - )
tongue πŸ˜› : - P
undecided 😏 : - /
laugh πŸ˜€ : - D
frown πŸ™ : - (
gasp 😲 : - O

Those emoticons work. But why do the eyes in "smile" look different from those in "tongue" and "undecided" when they both use the same character ":" ?

I always use the tongue one different than what I think it’s intended. I think it’s supposed to be sticking your tongue out defiantly, but it looks more to me like lust or crazed desire. πŸ˜›

I think I can give an answer to my own question in my previous post.

The process of making an emoticon could go something like this -

1. Design an 18px x 18px "face" as a gif image using appropriate drawing software.

2. Choose a set of type characters : ; - ) ( P / D O etc to look something like the emoticon you’ve designed, more as a memory nudger than as an accurate depiction.

3. Link the two so that in a particular application will generate the emoticon when it sees a predetemined combination of characters.

Because the emoticon is initially designed independently of the detail of its set of characters it follows that the "eyes" in 😏 and πŸ™‚ can be different even though the character ":" is used for both. Jeremy, if he wished, could presumably have used quotes " instead of : for the "eyes" of 😏 but this might be less convenient for the end user.

Am I anywhere near right, Jeremy?