Aran Islands?

Aran Islands?

Is anyone aware of any sessions on any of the Aran Islands? Myself and a friend will be in the vicinity in a couple of weeks and were thinking we’d like to spend a couple days or so on the islands. There seem to be plenty of lodgings (at least on Inish Mor), but I haven’t been able to track down any other information. Any advice would be appreciated.

Susan

Re: Aran Islands?

There’s always plenty of music going on on Inisheer throughout the summer, but most of the musicians would probably be ‘imports’ from the mainland. I went to a session on Inishmaan in August 2003, before the bank holiday weekend (a one-off session, I think) and, likewise, the musicians had all come over from Galway City.

I went to a session on a Sunday afternoon at the end of April or the beginning of May, 1996 on Inisheer. It appeared to be locals, including a young couple with a small child or two that we saw earlier walking around the island.

When I stayed in Inishmaan some years ago, there were just a couple of local musicians playing in the pub. I think that was the only pub in the island. In Inishmor you’ll find more musicians, but the big island is very touristy, and the session is just an attraction for tourists.

Inisheer in the summer has three pubs with sessions 7 nights a week in the busy season. There are lots of B&B’s and a hostel but it’s adviseable to book ahead, as showing up unannounced seems to wierd them out. Almost all musicians are imported, but the islanders themselves sing a lot of songs.

Inisóirr- dunno
Inismeain-one pub sessions allmost guranteed
inismór- like slainte said very touristy.

If you’re in the vicinity you should try Tigh Hughes in Spiddal village, its famous for its sessions. Famous ITMs have a tendency to arrive on a thursday night (or any nigt for that matter) and start a session just like that. great craic.

just my two cents

A warning about Inishmaan - watch out for ticks. In fact, there’s not much point in watching out for them because, if you go anywhere where there’s grass, there’ll be all over you before you can blink. And theyre so tiny you don’t notice them until you start itching, anyway. They seem harmless enough, but unless you have a particular passion for arthropods, I wouldn’t recommend camping in the fields on Inishmaan.

To remove ticks you need oil & a pair of tweezers. you drop the oil onto the tick. It starts wriggling & releases it’s jaws. At this point you twist the tick out. Only thing is I can never remember which way you twist it. If you get it wrong, the head will break off leaving you no option but to cut it out & sterilise the wound goat may be able to supply a list of possible infections to be obtained from ticks.

I tried the above using butter (which I happened to have wth me) and it didn’t seem to work. As far as I am aware, these particular ticks do not carry any specific infections - it’s the slightly larger, black ones you need to watch out for. What puzzled me is that there was hardly any livestock on the island - I saw a handful of cows and a donkey. Perhaps that’s why the ticks all went for me.

Any other goats?

Well, we were planning to travel this time of year to avoid the tourist infestation, but maybe the colder weather will help with the tick problem too.

If I find any concrete evidence of off-season sessions on the islands, I’ll post it, and we’ll probably be checking out Galway and Spiddal as well.