The big bad box

The big bad box

Situation is, Im a fiddler but the other day got caught up in the excitement and bought an accordion form ebay. A piano accordion, Hohner Arietta to be precise for those who care. The whole instrument will be fairly foreign I guess as I dont even play the piano but as I know a good lot of tunes and can read music so thats at least one good thing.
So although the fiddle will still be first instrument, I do intend on putting a good deal of time into this as boxes are fantastic.
I guess what Im looking for is just any hints or whatever, just a bit of good old box players wisdom.
Most of the music I know is Scottish as thats where I live so any west -coasters oot there, any comments will be much appreciated.
I appreciate that the accordion must be a ferociously difficult instrument to play to a very high standard but Im also quite firm in the belief that with much determination, a great love of the music and makingit, plenty of effort an a few drams to help along the way, anything might be possible
much appreciated,
cheers
michael

Re: The big bad box

Ach, man, I’m almost in the same boat… only I want to play the C#D box, or a D melodeon… and they’re dam’ hard to find… so I haven’t gotten a squeeze box yet…

Play on!

I seen a nice looking Serenelini 2 row in Inverness but have no idea what key it was in. I think thats quite a good make, seen fergie macdonald playing one so they must be good. Was going to go for that myself until I seen this one on ebay, just hope its nae jist a big con. Its in the post I’ve been told……..
The suspense is becoming almost too much.
Good luck an all the best anyway.

Try Karen Tweed’s CDROM Tutorial located at
madfortrad.com. I have played pianobox for about 38 years and have been learning trad for just over a year now. I think her CD is a great learning tool and a perfect start to get you going on your journey.

Also focus on just learning the right hand for now; the cuts and triplets ect. will keep a newbie fairly busy. You won’t be needed the basses a whole lot at most sessions anyways. Since you play fiddle, you already have the concept of ornaments. Karen’s CD explains some of the possibilities to how it tranfers to the piano accordion.

Listen to Alan Kelly (pianobox player) w/ brother John: Fourmilehouse for some good playing and ideas.

Just SOME things to ponder.

Happy squeezing,

Raymond Lloyd

One of the best pieces of advice I’ve was ever given and Karen Tweed reinforces it, is to play the box replicating the fiddle ornamentation. It sounds like you already have a head start being a fiddle player.

The other thing is never to stop practising and learning. Be methodical and persistent in learning tunes and most of all enjoy it.

Listen to proficient players - like Alan Kelly and Karen Tweed then go for it!!!

Good Luck

Funny thing is, I’ve met a few box players who would like/ prefer to play the fiddle. I didn’t know that it operated in reverse!
At the end of the day, you can do almost anything on the fiddle if you have the skill and the ear. Whereas the accordion has certain mechanical limitations that put limits on your expession.