Flying Staccato…..

Flying Staccato…..

Been trying to play the Banks Hornpipe recently but think i’m going to go mad trying to get the flying staccato bowing for it. Hows it done??

Re: Flying Staccato…..

practice Kreutzer staccato/spiccato exercises and you’ll have it..

good staccato is not easy and takes some work.

The Banks is a fun fun piece

it’s a lot of work for a few bars but if you must…as sunnybear says,try the kreutzer studies (2,3,5,8) are the boys but only after you do the martele(6,7)and staccato no.4 (so-called picchettato) studies.have a look at sevcik op.3 if you still have a life.

on the other hand you may be one of the lucky ones who can do it without having to go through all that.
fun tune tho…

When you master the techniaue on The Banks, find the music for Madam Neruda. The entire B part can be played in this style. It is also a great tune.

To answer your question david. Theyre done in triplets, 3 notes per bow, each note being played staccato and being on a different string. The secret is to get each note to sound very clear and distinctively and at the same time do it at a good old pace. Apparently accenting the first note gives the bow the necessary momentum to "bounce" over the other two notes.
As you said, I think the point of the bow to use is just above the midpoint.
Combine all this and itll be no problem at all……
ha ha, if only.

I’ve done some demo & explanation clips which I hope will be of some help. First one is http://www.worldfiddlemusic.co.uk/video/banksnormaldemo01.wmv , which tries to demo how the bowing should sound. As there’s nothing you can really learn from that just by watching (at least I wouldn’t if it was shown to me), I’ve done a similar clip at a much slower pace, showing the actual path and directions of the bow (as as full speed), using just a bit more bow travel, and without the ‘bounce’. As David said, a slight ‘jerk’ on the first note is enough to get going.

On bowing terms : I got some notes from my teacher years ago, listing the differences between the ‘thrown’ and other bowings. Most commonly confused names are ‘staccato’ and ‘spiccato’. With ‘staccato’, the bow never leaves the string. With ‘spiccato’, it does. Here goes :

SPICCATO = a controlled bouncing or spring bow off the string, flexible fingers and wrist are a must. Sometimes referred to as ‘basta** staccato’.

SAUTILLE = fast spiccato acquired through a completely relaxed hand that permits sufficient elasticity to allow the bow to bounce itself. Relies on natural rebound.

LEGATO = is a smooth stroke without any spacing between the change of bow

STACCATO = is a light, short stroke with a period of silence between notes, this will very according to tempo

RICOCHET - Saltato - Saltando = rebounding bow, bow rebounds on several notes in the same bow, springing

FLYING SPICCATO : like regular spiccatto in that the bow bounces, but instead of remaining stationary, the bow is drawn along the strings as it is bounced.

David - I think I know the Sean Maguire recording you mean - he definately plays single detached bows on this. Not suggesting he *couldn’t* play the piece as written, just that he chose to do it ‘his’ way on the recording.

Andy McGann, sadly no longer with us, did a perfectly good recording of the Banks using straight bows (in single time) throughout. If you did not know the tune, this would sound just fine. I’ve got the tape somewhere, I think it might be called ‘Hard Road to Travel’, or something like that.

Anyway, hope you guys get some benefit from my clips.

Jim

why are you trying to play staccato in an irish tune?

I can’t open any of the clips, says url not found.
And I was wondering the same thing. I thought the bow was to stay on the strings in ITM, also that staccato bowing would be inappropriate.

That’s because this thread is 87 years old.

The recent question stands: why are you trying to play staccato in an irish tune?.

Just leave it be

Posted .

duh… LOL!!!