Unusual Violin

Unusual Violin

I have an unusual violin which I recently aquired and am looking for information on it, has anybody seen anything like it on the web. I will describe it as best I can. It is an ‘Original violinophone’ at least that is what is stanped into the back, it also would have had a horn connected to the bottom bout just above the chin rest but this is missing leaving a circular hole of about 25mm with 4 smaller screw holes next to it . It also has a normal violin body and neck and is not to be confused with Augustsd Stroh’s solin body violins. It has a metal cover between the tailpiece and fingerbourd underneath which is a metal diaphram which is connected to a metal bridge. As far as I can tell the horn is the only thing missing and it playes like an ordinary violin when strung up, although as to be expected the sound is very unusual. and muted. I also think it was made by Willy Tiebel, Markneukirchen.
Good luck Mikea

Posted by .

Re: Unusual Violin

I’ve heard of these before, but never actually seen one, so I can’t really help. Is there anywhere where you can find pictures of this, as it sounds very rare and unusual

Anders

Yes, I’ve also heard of, but not seen one, but you can hear one if you want, they’ve been used in modern recordings, and I’d guess the people who made said recordings might be interested in hearing from an owner and giving him whatever information they can. You might start here:

http://www.wps-arts.de/recording-angels/recording-angels_2002/english.html

Or here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B00008BK8X/102-3479921-1232952?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Not much of a help I’m afraid, but it might get you going.

KFG

Posted by .

Check the Kokotai Band from from the West Coast of the South Island of NZ for a living legacy of old timers still playing these fiddles.

The one pictured on the site I mention looks half-bodied but still differs from what Lark in the Morning pictures in its catalog as Stroh instruments. The text of the article refers to Stroch. Stroh?

Posted by .

There’s a picture of the Stroh type being used in an ITM context in Matt Cranitch’s book The Irish Fiddler. Being played by one Julia Clifford. The text says it’s also known as a Phone-Fiddle. If you want to hear one on a recording, they were apparently used extensively on a recent Tom Waits album (Alice?). They do give a kind of eery period effect.

Laitch, that’s a wonderful site! Mutant fiddles…

Posted by .

Cath
Did you notice that sound files are available for some of the instruments? The megaphone fiddle started broadcasting!

That one that looks like a cross between a coal grate and a boot scraper might be useful for sorting out hecklers if swung by its neck in a wide arc and accompanied with IEEEEEEEE YA!

Posted by .

Im pretty sure James Scott Skinner used some sort of violin like that in some of his recordings. There is a CD of collected original gramaphone recordings of Scott Skinner around which has some info in the cover about these violins but cant remember much. Hope this is a wee help!!

Thanks for all the help, I checked out all the links but nothing quite fits this instrument. I did find one on a Spanish web site for sale at 30,000 euro. I would like to find a picture of one so I can see what the horn looked like, I might be able to make one to complete the violin. The violin in Spain was made by Willy Tiebel in Markneukerchen in Germany in 1926 and from the description (no Photographs) it sounds identicle to mine.
Thanks for all your help
Mikea

Posted by .