Right Hand Fiddle

Right Hand Fiddle

What about right hand fiddling? might be a different approach to deal with my cts problems. Saw Ashley MacIsaac lately. Does sb know wether he started right hand with eight or did he switch from left to right later? his bio says nothing about that. Heared about a german violin teacher who reteaches from left to right. Somebody at thesession got his/her own experiences on that?

Re: Right Hand Fiddle

I think reversing hands would make my brain explode.

Playing a normal fiddle left-handed seems to be fairly common in Cape Breton. I saw 3 different fiddlers doing this when i was there. I can’t be sure that’s the way MacIsaac started, but it makes perfect sense to me that a left-handed kid over there would play left-handed from the very beginning.

Ashley learnt playing left handed on a right-strung fiddle.

Posted by .

…he also plays guitar that way.

Posted by .

Upside down.

>Ashley learnt playing left handed on a right-strung fiddle.

Has he switched (fiddles or hands)?

He still plays left-handed on a right strung fiddle.

You should see him play piano!!

Does he use a left-handed piano or just play with his back to it?

No, he hangs by his ankles from the rafters.

For those of us, the majority, who finger with the left and bow with the right it is a salutary exercise to reverse the roles of the hands. At the very least, it gives an insight into the problems beginners have (and which most of us may well have forgotten over the years).

Trevor

Hi Volker,

how is your hand? I am a leftie, so maybe I should play right hand fiddle, but nevertheless I finger with the left hand and bow with the right and I am o.k. Maybe it is, because I already play the guitar like this and I am used to it. I don’t know. But I think if I can learn to play left hand fiddle it must be possible for you to play right hand fiddle.
By the way, I heard about a classical violin player, Rheinhard Göbel, who had to re-start, because he had some problems with his hands and I think he is o.k. now.
I asked a luthier about changing a "normal" fiddle to a right hand fiddle and he told me that it won’t be too expensive.

Susanne

I’m left handed, but learned right handed, that’s probably why I have a day job and don’t play my violin in public.

Posted by .