Sean McGuire Fiddler RIP

Sean McGuire Fiddler RIP

Word is coming through that
Sean McGuire Died Today in Belfast at 8.30 .

Re: Sean McGuire Fiddler RIP

I was just about to post that Martin.

a great loss for fiddle players/lovers and all musicians everywhere.

terrific player

Posted .

Also heard myself this morning. Love Him or loath Him, its a terrible loss for Irish music and the end of an era.

Sad news. He was a unique player and also a great interpreter of of Scottish tunes too. I saw him live on quite a few occasions.

Was just chatting to a relative of the late Sean McLaughlin’s (the Shadow), of Armoy. Apparently 30 years ago the two Seans would meet up in Armoy & play, & drink, for a fortnight - Fiddling & Drinking! He had a good inings & boy did he make the most of his 3 score & 10 +.
In his day there was nobody to touch him, & a pure genious, sounded a lot like Gavinback then too.
God rest ye Sir.

A great loss. I was hoping for a recovery and one more chance to see him again in Milwaukee this year. With that horrible pickup on the fiddle, you could close your eyes and visualize a spinning 78 recording from yesteryear, then open your eyes to find a besuited icon of traditional music right there in front of you. Rest in peace, Sean.

Posted by .

Sad news indeed. Unreplaceable.

God rest him. One of a kind.

What a character! Will be sadly missed,may he rest in peace.

This is very sad news for music lovers everywhere. He was a musician I listened to with great wonder. We shared a few personal letters over the years that I will always treasure. We talked about doing a recording together which never materialized-a little hard given the distance between Canada & Ireland but I was flattered at the thought of it. There will never be another like Sean…..may he rest in peace.

What a pity; much too good to lose.

God rest him gently.

Maybe it is merciful that having had the stroke he was not frustrated too long.

Now that’s some fiddle section in the great ceili band above…with his brother Jimmy, and also Jimmy McHugh, one of his great friends.

Brianx

I used to think he was ancient back in 1970, but when you’re young, everybody else is old. On a good night, Sean was mighty.

Re: Sean McGuire Fiddler RIPFiddler Andrew Davey Gurteen, Co. Sligo.

Fiddler Andrew Davey Gurteen, Co. Sligo.
died Tuesday morning.
He has family living at the continent so the funeral will be on Sunday. Martin

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam!

Sean`s Funeral Arrangements-Sean is at Healey`s Funeral Parlour ,Falls road,Belfast.and will be taken to St.Lukes church,Twinbrook,Dunmurry on Sunday at 2.p.m.
Burial in Milltown Cemetery on Monday after 10.00 a.m. mass in St.Lukes.
We will all miss you for the craic as much as for the music ,Sean-God bless a great Irishman and the daddy of all fiddle players.There will be lots of practical jokes play on poor ,unsuspecting angels in heaven!

Posted by .

Thank you very much for posting Sean’s funeral arrangements.

I am very sorry to hear about Andy Davey. He was a lovely, lovely man.

I still remember the first time I heard Maguire playing - at my sister’s wedding reception in a wee house on the Cavehill Rd in Belfast. Sean was good friends with my brother in law, James McElheran the box player. I was just 12 years old and was blown away by this amazing fiddling and box playing. Probably when I first heard really good trad music being played.

Sean was a real trooper. Once he was in a car accident and broke both his wrists. he was unable to play for ages. His wrists set badly and evetually had to go into hospital in Dublin to get the wrists broken again and reset.

In addition to being the Yehudi Menuhin of traditional music he was also a great teacher and many fine young musicians like Medbh O’Hare owe a a lot to Sean’s teaching.

He was mad, foul mouthed, funny, unique, a master of his instrument, an encouragement to the young, a drinker, a thinker, and plain good fun.

He won’t be forgotten.

Breandan, your last paragraph really does sum up Sean!! His teaching and music will live on.

Sean McGuire - may God’s education be kind

"- he wished to transform Irish traditional music as a whole from what he refers to as a "primitive" state, to a true art music -"

http://www.irishfiddle.com/mcguireinterview.html

I haven’t kind words for the man or his music, someone who fancied himself the Scott Skinner of Irish Music, or actually - better than Skinner - he was kind to those that grovelled at the feet of the master. I prefered the company of Jim, RIP, 2002, his kinder and more considerate brother. Hey, taking this in the spirit of a wake, stirring up a bit of the muck to balance the quantity of honey laid on above, something has to be aired of his demons, which were quite powerful. I pray that in later life he softened and found a greater consideration for others than himself. Such an overpowering will and ego, he worked music hard and his production deserves respect and outline. Apologies if I messed up at any point, any clarification from those more knowledgeably is always welcome…:

Sean McGuire Plays - and Josephine Keegan, 1968
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/892

Irish Traditional Fiddling: Sean McGuire with Roger Sherlock and Josephine Keegan, 1969/1998
Outlet PTICD 1002/1006 (?)
Sean McGuire: Traditional Irish Fiddle - Outlet PTICD 1006

The Very Best of Sean McGuire, 1969
Outlet Records PTICD 1002
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/1042

Champion of Champions: Sean McGuire and Josephine Keegan, 1969/1997
Outlet PTICD 1005

The Best of Sean McGuire, 1971
Outlet OLP 1006
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/914

At Their Best: Sean McGuire and Roger Sherlock, 1971
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/1470

Two Champions: Sean McGuire and Joe Burke, 1971
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/595
? - Sean McGuire & Joe Burke - COXCD 015

On Two Levels: Sean McGuire and Josephine Keegan, 1978
RUBCD029
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/1108

Pure Traditional Irish Fiddle Music: Sean & Jim McGuire, 1982
Sean & Jim McGuire: Brothers Together (one in the same ?)
Outlet PTICD 1055

Portráid: Sean McGuire, 1988

The Hawks and Doves of Irish Culture: Sean McGuire and His Pupils, 1996
Outlet PTICD 1089

Sean McGuire: At His Best, 1999
Outlet PTICD 1008

Sean McGuire: Man of Achievement, 1999
TopSpin TSLP79 / Outlet PTICD 1052

Sean McGuire - The Masters Touch
Arcady ARCD027

Music of Ireland: Sean McGuire and The Four Star Quartet
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/893

Sean McGuire: 60 Years of Irish Fiddle Music

Sean McGuire: Fiddle on The Fiddle
Emerald Music, EMCD8000

Sean McGuire: The Irish Fiddler

Sean McGuire: Ireland’s Champion Fiddler, 2004

First Impressions: a master-class in fiddling
I came across a note on this and that it was due to be released on CD in 2002???

Some sources:
http://www.cybercd.fr/
http://www.claddaghrecords.com/www/default.asp

Ceolachan,you sorry, nameless specimen,I am Disgusted by your Personal comments about the late Sean.If you can`t speak well of the dead its better to say nothing.Criticism of anyone`s playing is fair enough but the personal insults are really tasteless.Who are you anyhow?I don`t seem to be able to find a name in your profile.

Posted by .

Cos - take it easy - he has some nice [respectful] things to say as well and has given [numerous] pointers to where we can listen to his playing and make up our own minds.

A lot of trad people, fiddlers especially, really did not like Seán’s style or playing when he was alive so it would be a tad hypocritical of them to say nice things now he’s dead. What should be remembered is that when he taught his students he made sure they got the basics right first before going on to the ‘Maguire’ thing on the fiddle.

For me, I was mesmerised by his playing. I have little doubt that some of the ill feelings towards his playing was envy. But then again, not everyone likes to hear diddley dee played like Stephane Grapelli doing jazz.

Whatever anyone thinks of him, he certainly could not be ignored when alive, he could make himself heard even when he had his throat operation, he could play like the clappers after having both wrists broken twice, nuff said eh???

Don’t see any disrespect in the above comments. Just honesty. A lot of musicians I know did not particularly like Maguire’s playing, at least the later stuff. It seems you either loved his fiddling or loathed it, but were never indifferent to it. However, when Maguire came to town, we all, admirers and critics alike, paid good money to hear him. After all, this was "the great Maguire" (as he was announced at a concert I attended in 2000), the one and the only, and none of us would have missed him for the world.

I first heard Maguire when I was fourteen and I went on to become a professional musician myself. His playing really inspired me because I had not heard anything like him before. I have been transcribing his tunes from tapes made many years ago and he is undoubtly supreme. Some people have mentioned the names of other great fiddle players here but they will never touch Maguire. Try to imagine someone else playing Banks hornpipe or the Excelsior or the Rialto to such perfection. His jig playing was remarkable, timing, bowing, phrasing was superb. T.Peoples is a fine player but could never come even close to Maguire, ok they are different styles but copmpare their jig playing for instance and that will show you. There will never be another Maguire because he was a genius. A big loss to Irish music. My thoughts are with his family and wife Maureen.

A moment for Sean Maguire

Off to the Big Session in the Sky for the mighty Sean Maguire…
it was our pleasure, indeed…

Posted by .

Re: A moment for Sean Maguire

Joe Burke spoke very well at yesterday`s funeral mass and summed up Sean nicely by quoting from Oliver Goldsmith`s "village Schoolmaster" poem;
"and still they gazed ,and still their wonder grew,
That one small head could carry all he knew".

Posted by .