CCE North American Convention

CCE North American Convention

Anyone going? I believe it’s this coming weekend in Ottawa.

Re: CCE North American Convention

I guess not, huh Twin Fid? We went to Boston a few years ago, but that was not as good as the one in Chicago years back. There’s a good potential for sessions at these events and you do not have to be a card-carrying member. Have you been to one before?

We are making plans to head to the midwest fleadh in St Louis. Hopefully there will be some sessions there too!

Posted by .

haha ya I guess not! Never been to one before, but still haven’t decided if I will go to this one…..

Over priced super expensive hotel, super expensive bar, staff running around trying to get people to stop playing sessions in the bar or foyer, staff demanding that you stop playing in your rooms at night, in a word, no. Don’t get me started on the heirachy and the backroom deals to get people voted into the "Hall of Fame" etc etc.

Patkiwi, it doesn’t start until next Friday so lets not pre-judge things! My only experience of a Convention was Toronto in 2001 and it was the nearest thing to heaven any traditional musician could imagine - 24 hour sessions in addition to the workshops and céilís. As for fluidity when the bars shut there was always Room 514!!

Toronto was exceptional due to the fact that the whole hotel was taken over by CCE. I had the honour of playing with the Ceilidh Band that night, majestic music. However Toronto has always been the exception, the last couple of AGM’s in the States have suffered from the afore mentioned conditions, circumstances which have popped up in conversation time and time again by all those who frequent these occasions and often by those who would like to but simply can’t due to the pricing. By the way, room 514 has enterd into the vernacular here as meaning something very, very special !!