Who is the best accordion folk player ?

Who is the best accordion folk player ?

Hi folks !

How do you think ?
Who is the best accordion player in folk music ?
Or whose recordings have I to listen if I want to learn some tricks on accordion (piano accordion would be the best)\

Greg

Re: Who is the best accordion folk player ?

Lawrence Welk?

Phil Cunningham?

"Phil Cunningham?"

Why a duck?

KFG

Posted by .

He’s the only piano accordion player of any stature that I know by name.

Conan Mc Donnell.

Darn! Foot in my mouth!

Alan(??) Kelly (of John and Alan Kelly - Which is which?)
Jimmy Keane
Karen Tweed
Conan McDonnell - not of great stature, but a mighty player.

Mirella Murray. There is a CD out Mirella Murray and Tola Custy ‘3 sunsets’. Just lovely.

Posted by .

Michael Burke who played in Manchester in the 70’s was very good. But anyone who can play it is better than me.

Should have asked an easy one, like the best bodhran player.

Mirella Murray no1!Phil Cunningham and maybe Alan Kelly(But only plays in bad dance shows now apparently)

Piano accordion would be best ???????

I don’t think so 🙂

What is the definition of perfect pitch?

When you throw a banjo into a skip and hit a piano keyed accordion. 🙂

And what about Kepa Junkera from Euskera? 🙂

Kepa Junkera plays a button accordian of some kind, doesn’t he?

Martin Tourish from Donegal (son of Ciaran Tourish?), is an up and coming one. When I last heard him play, a couple of years ago in Drumshanbo, I felt he still needed a few years to mature into a *great* player - but brilliant, nevertheless. Not that this is necessarily a recommendation, but he was, without a doubt, the *fastest* player I had ever heard.

…And let’s not forget Jimmy Shand.

Don’t know much about the trad scene in Euskera! However, there are some other mighty piano accordion players such as Michael Tennyson (Leeds), Colin McGill (Laois), Martin Power(Cork), Vincent Jordan (Birmingham) not to mention Declan Payne of the Border Collies - anyhow I thought the skip was full of keyboards!!

It seems Kieran Hanrahan is visiting some cities in England to record the shows for Ceili House. You’ll hear Michael Tennyson playing on the programme next month.

"…anyhow I thought the skip was full of keyboards!!"

Don’t knock skips. I’m building a mandolin made almost entirely out of skip wood… although, I did cheat a bit and rip the neck off the banjo.

John Williams… no doubt he is very talented, on the concertina, whistle and flute too.

Posted by .

For Irish piano accordion John Williams, one of the original players with Solas. For Scottish piano accordion, Phil Cunningham of the Silly Wizards was (and is) phenomenal. I can’t remember the name of the tune where he goes into a faster than fast paced, prolonged solo. Amazing. MadForTrad has a piano accordian CDrom tutorial. I have seen three of their tutorials, and they have all been good quality. However, I haven’t seen this one.

Tubular bell: I hope you know many Irish musicians would make a strong case for the button accordion and concertina being more compatible Irish Traditional Music. There seems to be more support for it in Scottish Traditional Music.

Best Wishes

Button keyed boxes etc tend to be favoured by Irish musicians, though there are some good exponents on Scotland too, e.g Fergie MacDonald, the late Will Starr, and Jimmy Shand himself.
Re piano accordian. Karen Tweed has already been mentioned. Check out these two CDs which complement her book. There’s lots of classic tunes there.

https://thesession.org/recordings/index.php/search?name=Karen+tweed

John Williams never ever plays piano accordion.

I suppose I could also mention John Whelan (button accordian). "Come to Dance" also has contributions from Eileen Ivers and Cillian Vallely. "Celtic Tradition" and "Celtic Fire" are also decent albums (although the word "Celtic" has become worn out). He won several all Ireland competitions.

I would consider most of the players that have been mentioned as players of "traditional" music as opposed to "folk" music… So the only "folk" accordion player I can think of is ‘Mick Foster’ of "Foster & Allen", or at least this is how I would define "folk" music. A lot of musicians that I know who play traditional Irish music actually despise the term "folk music" in relation to the style of music they play, as "folk music" for whatever reason now conjures up an image of beardy old boys playing almost "Irish Country" style music (badly) on their intruments generally through a bad PA system. Anyone else get that feeling? Loads of great traditional players mentioned there though: Mirella Murray, Alan Kelly, Phil Cunningham etc. (on the piano accordion). On the button accordion, lots of great players too: Maírtín O’Connor, Dónal Murphy, Shane Mitchell, Conor Keane, Jackie Daly… an infinite list.

Jeremiah McLane is good. He plays with the Vermont trio Nightingale. He plays Irish, French Canadian, Old Time, New England, etc.
www.jeremiahmclane.com

couldnt agree more murrough!!

by the way murrough, i was hoking through a load of old photos and came across an old Óige photo. thats some hairstyle Ruadhri used to have!! I’ll have to email it on to you. Not sure where it was taken, but I’d say its a good ten years ago!

Laura

Ha ha, class one, I dread to think what the haircuts across the board looked like, but sure as long as Ruadhrai’s is the gammiest, then send it on! Would it have been taken in that arts centre in Coalisland (can’t remember the name of it now)? It’s just I remember playing there one night, and your Barry & Gerardy Thompson et al were playing with a band called "Stone the Crows" that night too. I’ll send you my Email address sure and that would be great if you could Email it on. Thanks a lot Laura. Hi to Baz and all.

Murrough

Kepa Junkera plays button acordion. Look at his website if you want to listen to him: http://www.kepajunkera.com

Sam Pirt!

I agree with bannerman in that Vincent Jordan is good, but not the best. A better player, in my opinion, is Katie Jordan (Birmingham) possibly a relation?? the only thing that lets her down, is the unfortunate fact that she has not yet given up the bodhran :(

Another vote for Sam Pirt if you’re looking for a "Folk" PA player - he’s extremely versatile, playing Folk tunes from many countries and traditions. His current favourite is Forró, dance music from Brazil.

Sam plays with many outfits, see his website http://www.sampirt.co.uk/ and myspace page http://www.myspace.com/sampirt for more details.

I don’t think anybody can play folk accordion better than Phil Cunningham, although one possible contender is Martin Tourish, a young Irish guy. He’s right up there with the best folk accordionists of all time. Serious skills! Maybe he’s technically as good as Phil, i’m not sure. They’re both pretty scary players!