Help with identifying tunes

Help with identifying tunes

Hi everybody,
A disk I have (called Irish Jigs, French made…) has two unnamed tunes that I would like to identify by name if possible.

The first is a slow waltz: here’s how it begins
Gmaj
A2B CBA | BAG AGE | A2B C2e | dbG G2E |
A2B CBA | BAG A2e/f/ | gba g2e | dbG G2B

The second is a slide. I’ll give the scond part, for I was clearer about it.
Ador
B | c2d e2f gag g2e | g2e d2C B2G G2B |
C2d e2f gag g2e | a2a a2b a2g e2d |
c2d e2f ~g3 g2e | ~a3 a2f ~g3 g2e |
~f3 f2d efg e2d | C2A BAG A3 A2 :|

Thanks in advance,
Amir

Re: Help with identifying tunes

Sixholes, the tune search now has a facility for searching ABC fragments. I don’t know if you’ve tried this yet?

Yes, I did. But possibly it’s stored there in another key or some variation that caused my search to miss…

Have you tried TORUS? You just enter the changes in the pitch as ‘d’ for lower and ‘u’ for higher and carry on for about 3 bars. It then gives you a list of tune names which fit that pattern of notes (which you then have to search for separately - it just gives you the name not the score).
It’s at http://www.thomasbending.co.uk/torus/

I’m not very adept at reading abc, but parts of it remind me of ‘Behind the Bush in the Garden’ also known as ‘I Lost my Love and I Care Not’ and the tune for children’s songs about Bonnie Prince Charlie. I think it’s originally a Scottish tune but popular in Ireland also.
You could check out those tunes names to see if it’s the same one.

Sorry I wasn’t clear - I was referring to the second tune, the slide/single jig

Behind the Bush in the Garden really appears in thesession
as a slide/single jig, however this is not my tune.
TORUS search was not helpful at all. Having failed locating the tunes in other collections as well (Norbeck’s, O’Neill’s) I will just enter them as unnamed (“every serious traditional musician needs to play some tunes whose names he or she cannot tell” - Christy Leahy of North Cregg).
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Answers

Is there a point in answering your own question from 16 years ago? Well, as I’m already here… The first turned out to be originally a jig, it’s in O’Neill’s as The Limerick Tinker. The 2nd I later realized was a single-jig version of the famous Chicago reel.