Looking for a button accordion tutorial

Looking for a button accordion tutorial

Does anyone know of a good tutorial for a b/c box ? i have bought the "mad4trad" one, but found out derek hickey uses a box with 23 buttons, while mine(hohner black dot) has 21. i know it’s only two buttons more, but the notes are all in different places not to mention the demonstration which doesn’t really work for me now…

thanks
assaf.

Posted by .

Re: Looking for a button accordion tutorial

Homespun Tapes sells a John Williams ( ex Solas ) video tutor. I don’t remember how many buttons are involved.

Sorry sorry sorry

I didn’t read completely your first message 🙁

(-: thanks anyway!

Posted by .

Unless you have a box in a different key (and I never heard of a black dot in anything except B/C), all the buttons should be in the same place except for the extra two. Find G on your box (i’ve never played a black dot, but I think that is where the dot is), and follow the notes out from there. Unless I am mistaken, there shouldn’t be any difference except on the low end. My primary advice, however, is don’t make the mistakes I have in training myself. Even if it is only for one or two lessons to get started, or once a month for a while, find a teacher. It really works better than teaching yourself. The interaction with a teacher can make all the difference.

hmmm…i think you’re right. i had a look now and noticed that the scale of D for instance, starts one button higher then on hickey’s box…and the rest is in the same order.
i’m afraid i have no teacher to go to, for thousands of miles.. (-:
i live in israel, and at the moment , no one here plays the box.
i’ll try the mad4trad first…and maybe the john willimas video/dvd - i heard it’s very good.

Posted by .

Try this site by John Williams. We just got an accordion through him & he can work with you to get one that is just right for your level.

http://www.johnwilliamsmusic.com/accordions.htm

Posted by .

I’m just working through the Williams video myself at the moment, as an absolute beginner. I was able to get it through the public library here in Canada!

Comments: Good overall, some nice tunes. None of these videos are perfect but this one is pretty helpful.

The tunes are notated in the accompanying booklet, but there is no button notation. i.e. it’s just conventional staff notation without any additional fingering key. So to figure out JW’s fingering you have to watch pretty closely. The camera angles are pretty good though. I’ve got the tape but I bet the DVD would be better for rewinding, etc. I am going to have to write out the fingering myself or else go crazy, but I can see that some teachers might view this as a crutch and discourage it.

There isn’t an excessive amount of time spent on ornamentation, and most of the ornamentation in JW’s performances isn’t really fully explained or notated. However, he does demonstrate the basic roll which should be enough to go on with.

He spends quite a bit of time on the bass hand, which is a bit overwhelming for a beginner. I’d have to come back and look at that later when I’ve got the melodies down.

Best of luck with the box!

Paul

Inigo, the Derek Hickey cd and the John Williams video tutors are really the best resources available at the moment. It doesn’t make any difference whether you have a 21 or 23-button box. (I learned on a Black Dot, and it never occurred to me that this could be a problem.)

The black button is "B" on the push, btw. G is one down (toward your chin) on the inside row.

Both of them contain lots of useful information, if you take time to root through and find the stuff that’s relevant to you.

Posted by .

Thanks very much everyone, for all your replies!
most appreciated.

Assaf.

Posted by .

Will the Derek Hickey CD work with my G/C Button Accordion. It says it’s for a different key.