March to the music

March to the music

I live in the south east of Ireland where there seems to be a good number of marches played; think of Kelly the Boy from Killane and ‘98 etc. Came across a nice march there recently and was going to post the notes but notice there is no category for same. Others seem to have submitted as barndances or reels etc. I can understand the ‘policy’ of not submitting airs because they usually don’t have a strict rhythm but marches are marches!
I suppose I’ll just post as a barndance when I get the ABC right. Is this right?

Posted .

Re: March to the music

(politics apart - the devil has all the best tunes)
The likes of Star of County Down, Roddy McCauley, Dublin in the Green etc. which make good marches can also be considered as slowed-down reels as well.
I agree a category of march might be a good idea.

And what meter should this category have?

The reason why there is no category for march is much the same as why there is no category for slow airs. The term says nothing about the meter.

For instance, all double jigs are 6/8, all slip jigs are 9/8, all waltzes are 3/4 whereas some marches as 2/4, some marches are 6/8, etc.

Fair enough point about the meter, I guess. It kinda shows up the difficulty in categorisng trad. music. Think of the various set or long dances too, some are in 6:8, others 2:4 and others again in hornpipe timing.
I wonder is there a way around it as it’s not entirely satisfactory to submit a tune as say a reel and then put in the comment that its actually something else!

Posted .

Submit it as a polka.
I find most marches (at least what I consider a "march") is in 2/4 time. A 6/8 march is just a jig that you march to.

Use the word "March" in the title. This way if somebody is searching for a march he/she can search by title using the word "March." If a 6/8 march, label as jig, if in 2/4, label as polka etc.

So Irish tunes have a set meter. Never knew that. Probably explains all those bodhran players playing a "rhythm" and not changing it when the music changes.

The Scots unsuccesfully tried to classify marches for competitions
4/4 - its a march
6/8 - it s a 6/8 march
2/4 - its a 2/4 march

but then it gets complicated
3/4 or 5/4 or 9/8 or 12/8 - its a retreat march

And Fyffer guy, I am not sure the average Scots piper would agree that a 6/8 march is "just a jig that you march to". The rhythm and feel is completely different.

AFAIK
A 2/4 or a 4/4 March is a March for Infantry.
A 6/8 March is a CAVALRY MARCH - Horses trot in jig time. There’s a 6/8 version of Bonnie Dundee which is a Cavalry March.
I’ve come across obvious joke marches in 3/4 time.
I’m not personally familiar with a 9/8 or 12/8 March. Elephants, perhaps, or Camels? Something Scottish, anyway.

"I’m not personally familiar with a 9/8 or 12/8 March. Elephants, perhaps, or Camels? Something Scottish, anyway." Innocent Bystander

The Siege of Delhi 9/8 retreat, perhaps thats the rhythm one clutches ones buttocks to whilst retreat marching to the toilet. Elephants would be closest one would reckon ; )