favorite tunes

favorite tunes

Hey everyone, what’s your all time favorite tune? I want to start memorizing some more popular Irish tunes.
thanks!
~Rachel

Re: favorite tunes

Planxty Hewlett has been my favourite since I heard it first. But I have a soft spot for "The Silver Spire" which still brings tears to my eyes.

O’Carolan’s Concerto

oh yeah and Growling old man, the Butterfly and Drowsy Maggie(cliche i know but i like it)

Mist-Covered Mountain, and generally most tunes by Martin Junior Crehan.

Kitty Lie Over and Hare in the Corn played together. Also into Star of Munster and Wandering Minstrel.

These are specific tunes that have "picked me" in that I can’t get them out of my head long after hearing them.

"Kalamantinos" from Flook’s "Rubai" album drove me nuts for playing Octave Mandolin. I had to play along with the stereo for the effect of the beginning, bouzouki based harmonies. It was the same process for the vocal "Thios I Dtech an Toraimh" from Teada’s "Give Us A Penny And We’ll Be Gone." It was the same process for Altan’s "Local Ground" and "Sport" highlighting the bouzouki lead of Ciaran Curran in harmony with Diatha Sproule’s guitar back up. Much of this relates to my Mando-mania. However, if you are looking for exceptional ITM, the Teada and Altan albums are a "must hear" for almost all of the tracks. You can find them in the "Recordings" section here, then the "Tunes" section for specific song playing information. Best Wishes! (^:

Julia Delaney played slow

The Boys of Ballysadare (slip jig)

are a couple of my perennial favourites. Others come and go, of course.

Posted by .

Fox On The Town reel (‘specially the way Loretto Reid and Brian Taheny play it on ‘Celtic Mettle’)

Swallow’s Tail reel

Mouse in the Mug jig

Spirit waltz

et. al.

Lucy Cambell and The Bucks of Oranmore…did one come from the other ?

Posted by .

I was obsessed with sleepy maggie for awhile, its very popular, I kind of am tiring of it cause Ive over played it, so currently I would say warlocks

Wow! ALL time favorites? Hmmm.

I have played these tunes for years:

John Dwyer’s (reel in G)
John McGrath’s (reel in D)
Bird in the Bush (reel in G)
Music in the Glen (reel in G)
Radigan’s (reel in C)
The Congress (reel in A minor)
Joys of My Life (jig in G)
Rose in the Heather (jig in D)
The Bright Hollow Fog (air)
Hector the Hero (air)

There are many more all time favorites. I have to hear them before I remember them, though.

A Night In That Land (Johnny Cunningham air)
The Famous Baravan (Gordon Duncan)… da da dala, da da dala, Da Da Dala, Da Da Dala, DA DA DALA DA DALA DA DALA DA DALA DA DALA DA!!!! - Cracking!!!
Planxty Irwin (A guitar arrangement of it that I have learnt)

the forty two pound check
Anders

Impossible to say which is my favourite but these come pretty high: O’carolan’s welcome; Return From Fingal; Lemonville Jig;
East of Wisbech (by Dave Jolly); Gwernogle (by Joseph Hess) - and ‘tune of the week’ (i.e. whatever I happen to be learning at the moment)

billy rush`s jig and the sligo fancy ( not played together)

Posted by .

Jimmy Alien
Dangle Regatta
Vegans Polka

My favorite tunes to start then retire to the bar.
No, seriously,

Farewell To The Dene
Elsie Marley
Ower Bonnie for the Coal Trade

Doozer - to get a good idea of what ‘thesession’ members like and play - go to Members section and select the Tunebook tab - that shows the most popular tunes in order

Old Hag You’ve Killed Me. I’m surprised more people don’t know it.

Farewell to Erin - I know it on GHB well but transposing it to flute has been a challenge.

Rachel,
This discussion comes up from time to time along with "most hated tunes" and similar topics. You’ll usually find that the same tunes appear in both categories. ๐Ÿ™‚
My favourites change from day to day, week to week etc but some never lose their appeal. I’m not sure if Members(here) favourites necessarily equate with "most popular". I agree with Domnhull, that if you check the tune site, the most popular tunes have been downloaded more often. However, I don’t think those who join the discussions here would necessarily admit these were their favourites even althogh they will know them. Of course, it’s not just those who participate in the discussion who will download tunes. Many newcomers and beginners will do so too and they will naturally(though not always) wish to download the more popular and commonly played tunes to learn

I have said it before and I’ll say it again.
Out on the Ocean.

As Johnny J says, there’s a difference between favorite tunes and popular tunes, though, so your mileage may vary. F’rinstance, one of my favorite tunes is Poor But Happy at 63, but you don’t hear it out all over the place. Same with Lads of Laois, Exile of Erin, Jug of Punch, and lots of my other favorite tunes.

For *popular* tunes, you might like to take a look at Will’s list of common tunes that are good to have under your fingers pretty much anywhere you can play this stuff: https://thesession.org/discussions/110

Jack Gilder just did a radio show with an exemplary selection of Irish music. I only heard the first hour, but I was very impressed. There wasn’t one selection that was short of being excellent. He said he is posting the selection at the radio station website. Backtrack to page 4-5 at this website to get the link to the station (on Jack’s discussion).

The King of the Fairies (played really slowly) is great.

The Blue Angel which is the King’s Favourite in D.
Probably because I can’t play it right.

Posted by .

Zina - 53 - no biscuit -๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

Oops, sorry, it was a typo, honest! ;) Besides, I first learned it as Michael Tennyson’s. Heh.

The way I’ve been learning new tunes, I get obsessed with one, ‘til I learn it inside and out, slow and fast, ornamented and straight …
Recently it’s been the Independent Hornpipe. Not much of a session tune - more of a show piece - but it’s super fun to play.

Anything by Joe Cooley. Present one though is Devanney’s Goat which I learnt from the free Sharon Shannon CD a few weeks ago with one of the Sunday papers