hi and o’kane equivalent question.

hi and o’kane equivalent question.

Hi there, My name is Ben and I’m a bodhran and whistle player living in Australia. I’ve been using this site for a while but only recently signed up. I’m a huge ITM fan but make my living primarily as a jazz drummer and music teacher. I have a Bachelor of Music degree from the University of New South Wales so please spare me your "all bodhran players are un-educated tub thumping morons" spiels 🙂!!!!
Now on with my question.

I am a big fan of Seamus O’Kane bodhrans, however as many of you know he’s not taking orders right now. I know Rob Forkner makes a lambeg drum similar to the O’Kane but as I’m travelling to Ireland in June I’m curious to know of any other Irish makers who’s drums are of a similar sound quality and level of responsiveness as the O’Kane’s.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Ben.

Re: hi and o’kane equivalent question.

I don’t know anything about bodhran, but Seamus O’Kane has been teaching in Queen Maeve Summer School in Sligo town. But it’s in the first week of August, and he may not teach this year: http://www.cygo.ie/tradmusic Sorry, it’s not particularly helpful, but if can you meet the gentleman in person, you’ll get more useful advice.

Sounds like you need to track down Ben Stephenson ("Trouble in the Kitchen") he’s likely to know the answers to most all of your questions.
Cheers from the other side of the land down under.
Donough

Thanks for the replies. Ben is actually my teacher so i will enquire with him next time I see him. Still if anyone has any info let me know. I’m really after that lambeg sound and response that is typical of O’kane drums.

Cheers.

Greetings Ben,

I know of no other makers other than Rob who are currently making bodhráns with a Lambeg skin. I’ve played both Seamus’ and Rob’s and if you like the O’Kane’s I believe you will also like a Metloef.

You can also try to visit with Seamus if you are traveling near him on your trip. Give him a ring first. You never know what might happen whilst in his workshop.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Peace,
Ed

Hello!

Try Darius Barlett bodhrans. Mel Mercier is playing on one of these and Eamon Murray (four time all-ireland champion) and many more good players. Actually I own an O’Kane and Metloef but I’ve seen Barlett’s bodhrans and I must say they’re excellent drums.
His website is: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/lissoffinworkshop/index.htm

Cheers,
Bartek

Lissoffinworkshop was recommended by Frank Torpey, formerly of Nomos and now with MadForTrad. He did an excellent beginners tutorial for the bodhran on CDrom. You might try contacting him for feedback, as he is playing one of these bodhrans (thin skin deep shell). Best Wishes!

"I have a Bachelor of Music degree from the University of New South Wales so please spare me your "all bodhran players are un-educated tub thumping morons" spiels !!!!"

What then? An educated tub thumping moron?

(sorry - but it was crying out for someone to say it. Better to be hung by your friends than your enemies.)

Dave

"Hang" in there Ben, its still all within the bodhran family here so far. How is Australia for acceptance of ITM and the bodhran? I would suspect that it is a lot more open minded there.

One of the best bodhrans I have ever heard was made by Clive Quinn who now lives in Oz. Look at http://www.clivequinn.com/deadrat.html and call him or email him to see about prices.

A cousin of mine in the Dingle area, Mike Shea, plays one and it is a killer.

Mike Keyes

Cheers for all the help.

Australia has some great trad musicians although you have to sift through a fair amount of bullocks to find them!!!

As far as acceptance of the bodhran goes we have our share of ‘enthusiasts’ here and a fair amount of elitism amongst tune players. However, provided the instrument is played in a supportive and sensitive manner, the bodhran is accepted at most sessions.

If you want a bodhran with a lambeg skin, you need to go to a maker that can make you a drum with a lambeg skin on it. As far as I know, there are four bodhran makers who can and do use lambeg skins on the drums. They are:

Seamus O’Kane (Derry, N. Ireland)
Darius Bartlett (Clare, Ireland)
Paul McAuley (Antrim, N. Ireland)
Rob Forkner (Austin TX, USA)

That’s not to say that other makers don’t make good drums. But if a lambeg skin is what you are after, then go to one of these fellows. I’ve played lambeg-skin drums by each one and they are all excellent, so you won’t go wrong with any of them. I’d go for the one who can accommodate your wishes in design most completely.

Cheers!
Rob
www.metloef.com

hmm, scuze TOTAL ignorance but, er, whats a Lambeg skin? is it just a curing thing they do for skins for the lambegs? or is the drum itself a different beasty?

Anywho, I’ve got a couple of Darius Bartlett kangaroo skin drums from his days in Oztralia, really nice for the old single-ended action but slighlty ridged in pushability.

And I’ll second zookman reference to Davy Stuart, got one of his about a year ago and every time a play the thing it gets better and better… the sub-factor is huge!
(i’ve been informed by people much brainer than I that Davy’s are the drums used by the Donal Lunny for his ‘bass" bodhran tracks… hmmmm)

help

It appears to be working again. I thought NIPSA trade union had hijacked the site and censored me, as usual.

Nice to hear from you again Bliss. I thought that the world is flat after all and you just fell off of the edge. A bodhran thread and a lambeg thread without your posts - what’s wrong with that picture.😉

My first bodhran was made by a Lambeg maker, just off Sandy row in Belfast. Dreadful riddle, but not a bad skin, very thin. He actually called them "fenian" drums in a non-offensive way if that is possible.

I think Seamus O’Kane doubles the skin, but I am not sure.

As long as it is from a goat, although I have heard a nice greyhound drum, and well made, not machine produced, you should be okay.

Hi Ben, and Hi Ben.
God - 2 bodhran players in Sydney both called Ben - how depressing!

Posted by .

Wow, that’s some drum Rob, on the drumdojo site.

I happened upon one last week in a junk shop in Wales, should I have bought it? I ask myself.

Had the car with me though, not the van, maybe next time if it’s still there.

I am a daughter of seamus o’kane and I’m sure that if he knew you were travelling all the way from Australia then he could do something to accomodate you. and idf not you should ring him and arrange to visit him as he has some interesting stories to tell and could give you a few tips. hope this helps!

Seamus makes great drums- If you camn gete one do it. Darius Bartlett will be coming out with a new series of drums in the near future. Lambeg skiins and kangroo. He will have also have well priced "kit "drums for anyone interested in building their own drum. I understand process is simple. Just sand and attach the skin.
JAP

Dariius Bartlett Drums- New Address!!!

Darius Bartlett has a new web site that features his new drums. He is now producing a new Professional Model with the ability to interechange heads. He also is maiking very interesting DIY drum kits. I have ordered one of these and will provide feedback regarding the process of building the drum..
John

Junior Davey’s new DIsk

For those of you who have any interest the new Junior Davey disk “Sound Skin” is now available by writing Junior at the following e-mail address.

jjdavey@eircom.net

Please put the disk title “Sound Skin in the subject line so your mail does not get put in the spam pile.

According to Drum maker Darius Bartlett, “It sits well alongside Skin and Bow but is way more professional”

For those of you who have not heard Skin and Bow you might inquire as to its availability and save some postage.

John Prange

Seamus OKane will be teaching bodhran at Queen Maeve International summer School Festival in Sligo town this year 2008 from 4th to 9th August.