Hip Hop/Irish track is here……

Hip Hop/Irish track is here……

So what’s up ya’ll….? Long time no chat with…and in some cases fight with….Well it’s here. The track is done…or should I say one of the tracks. The group is called Top Notch and the song is called "Break Glasses". It’s about getting drunk.

So guess what these fusion beats I have been making are taking hip hop by storm….it’s new and it’s the next wave….weather you like it or not.

So without further wait…..here is the link in which the track can be found

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/theastonishinggrymusic.htm

ENJOY
GRY

Posted by .

Re: Hip Hop/Irish track is here……

The samples of the fiddle are just a touch behind the beat, almost all the way through. Drove me nuts after about 8 measures, although I hope you did it on purpose. Glad you’re doing what you wanted to do with it, I suppose, although I found the track kind of repetitive and boring. Nice premise, though. What happened to all that great fiddling?

"Get drunk, break glasses. get your asses kicked in the end of the club"

….

i mean im not a hip hop listener but the drum beat drove me nuts!!

I tried to hate it.

I couldn’t.

Posted by .

Hmmmm, doesn’t it get tiring playing the same thing over and over again?

It’s pretty cool from what I’m listening to now, but.. Oh variation! Me like! Kind of reminds me of Nuttin But Stringz [They kick ass.]

Cheers,
Armand

Sorry GRY. Different strokes for different folks.
(Old School) JOHNNY JUMP UP

I’ll tell you a story that happened to me, one day as I went down to Youghal by the sea
The sun it was bright and the day it was warm, sez I, "A quiet pint wouldn’t do me no harm."
I went in and I called for a bottle of stout,
sez the barman, "I’m sorry, all the beer is sold out.
Try whiskey or Paddy, ten years in the wood." Sez I, "I’ll try cider; I’ve heard that it’s good."
The next thing I met down in Youghal by the sea was a cripple on crutches and says he to me,
"I’m afraid of me life I’ll be hit by a car.
Won’t you help me across to the Railway Men’s Bar?"
After drinking a quart of that cider so sweet
he threw down his crutches and danced in the street
So we ordered two more and a toast we drank up to world finest doctor, old Johnny Jump Up
After a while, sure I felt well enough,
sez I, "Fill another, that cider’s great stuff!’
After lowering the third I went straight to yard where I bumped into Brophy, the civic guard
"Come here to me, boy, don’t you know I’m the law."
I up with me fist and I shattered his jaw
He fell to the ground with his knees doubled up, but it wasn’t I hit him, ‘twas Johnny Jump Up
I was brought in to court for being drunk in the street.
After two pints of cider I was out on me feet
Said the guard, testing me, say these words if you can,
"Around the rugged rock, the ragged rascal ran"
When I managed that fine sure he asked me to state
That I rattled me bottles outside Malachy’s gate
But "British Constitution" fairly bottled me up! And I got fourteen days without Johnny Jump Up
I went up the Lee Road a friend for to see,
and they call it the Mad House in Cork by the Lee
But when I got up there, the truth I do tell
they had the poor creature locked up in a cell
Sez he, "Hello Jordan, to see you I’m glad.
Tell them I not crazy; tell ‘em I’m not mad."
"All that I had was a slug from a cup
of that lunatic soup they call Johnny Jump Up."
A man died in Cork Union by the name of McNabb
they washed him and laid him outside on a slab
O’Connor came up then his measure to take,
and wife took him home to a bloody fine wake.
About twelve o’clock and the beer it was high when the corpse he sat up and says he with a sigh
I can’t get to heaven; they won’t let me up,
till I bring them a quart of the Johnny Jump Up
So now all you fellows and ladies as well,
beware of that stuff that they brew in Clonmel
For God only knows whether you’ll wind up
in a Madhouse of Gaol after Johnny Jump Up
😉

Sorry for the formatting. Big wrestling match with my computer. It won. )^:

Hmmm. So it kinda takes the loutishness and toughness of House of Pain and blends it with what Sinead O’Connor tried to do on her version of "I Am Stretched On Your Grave." Did you ever hear that song? It’s from her 2nd album. Basically she took Frank O’Connor’s translation of an 18th century Irish poem and half-sang/half-chanted it to a hip-hop track. I think it’s a James Brown sample she used. Then near the end of the song, after she finishes singing, she brings in a fiddle with the hip-hop beats still going. I’m sure you can download it somewhere and listen to it. The first time I heard it back in 1990 or whenever, I thought it was really great and innovative of her. This kinda, sorta reminded me of that, but with an Everlast-style vocal taking the place of a Sinead vocal.

Posted by .

I’m sure it’s lovely, if you like that sort of thing. Is the part where the drummer loses the beat intentional? Part of the being drunk theme, maybe?

Hah hah, hillarious! It’s kinda national folklore rap scene, bit like these American hiphoppers using samples from Russian orchestral works. Apart from the humoristic value it has, certainly fiddle upgraded this music, at least there now I find something to listen to in it. I have two positive things to say:
1. It actually worked out better than I expected, even though I can’t be bothered to listen to hip-hop in general (I still cannot get over the, ekhm, poetical load of the texts, even though somebody tried to explain that it’s all about improvisation, simplicity and roughness),
2. You still have plenty room for improvement.

And also, you advance to the very first echelon of my favourite hip hop performers. Just, pleeease, do not sway from Gangsta Irish Rap towards Pimp Irish Rap - if I see you on the telly in a green vest and golden chains, jumpin’ away in your pink-painted donkey cart, singing about the butts of Greanmore lasses seduced in the brooks of hay, I will just die laughing.

I think you’ve done a good job Gry. I don’t know enough about hip-hop to be able to comment really, but if you want constructive criticism, I’d say the fiddle loop’s a bit much if you have it going all the way through the track. It makes the whole thing seem more repetitive than it shouls, and maybe detracts from the lyrics a bit. I reckon it’d be more effective if you used it more sparingly. Maybe it’d be nice to get another loop going in the treble to contrast it when the fiddle has a break; some sort of more plinky-plonky (bell-like??) sound from a synthesizer might be good, especially if you get a sort of Cypress Hill dischord thing happening over the bass.

Its very good Gry - well done
But to be honest after all the talk, I thought it was going to be life changing - it wasnt really! : (

"So guess what these fusion beats I have been making are taking hip hop by storm….it’s new and it’s the next wave….weather you like it or not." …..I’ve heard something similar before, from the rapper "Nine" - its was new then - it didnt take anyone by storm, but it gave us a good laugh.

Well done though and keep working at it man!

Too repetitive for me, I got just slightly past where the B part starts, if you’d call it the B part, and couldn’t take any more… I agree with Zina - the fiddle being behind the beat was very uncomfortable. I would have thought a better effect in this context would be to have it driving the beat? I think that the Rap/fiddle tune hybrid idea actually works quite well - BUT - the sounds are not well balanced. The fiddle sounds a bit apologetic. I think it needs to be played with much more aggression and emphasis; and the sound needs to be bigger and meatier. Lots of presence and bottom end. Otherwise it is quite incongruous against all the other stuff. And why not use sampled bodhran beats instead of the entirely colour-less synthetic drum beat?
And one last point - why the LA South Central accent? If you’re going to do this fusion/crossover thing, why not go all the way and have Dublin accents instead?

Posted by .

Unless of course, you *are* in LA South Central… I forget… 😉

Posted by .

more old school :

Johnny McEldoo

There was Johnny McEldoo and Mcghee and me,
And a couple or two or three, went on a spree one day;
We had a drop or two, which we knew how to brew,
And the beer and whiskey flew, and we all felt gay.

We visited Mccann’s, Mcillmann’s, Humpty Dan’s,
We then went in to Swann’s, our stomachs for to pack;
We ordered out a feed, which indeed we did need,
And we finished it with speed, but we still felt slack.

Johnny McEldoo turned as blue as the dew,
And a plate of Irish stew he soon put out of sight;
He shouted out "Encore", with a roar for some more,
And he never felt before such a keen appetite.

He ordered eggs and ham, bread and jam, what a cram!
But him we couldn’t ram, though we tried our level best;
For everything we brought, cold or hot, mattered not,
It went down him like a shot, but he still stood the test.

He swallowed tripe and lard by the yard, we got scared,
We thought it would go hard, when the waiter brought the bill;
We told him to give o’er, but he swore he could lower,
Twice as much again and more, before he had his fill.

He nearly supped a trough full of broth, says Mcgrath,
"He’ll devour the tablecloth, if you don’t hold him in."
When the waiter brought the charge, McEldoo felt so large,
He began to scowl and barge, and his blood went on fire.

He began to curse and swear, tear his hair in despair,
And to finish the affair, called the shopman a liar;
The shopman he drew out, and no doubt, he did clout,
McEldoo he kicked about like an old football.

He tattered all his clothes, broke his nose,
I suppose he’d have killed him with a few blows in no time at all;
McEldoo began to howl and to growl, by my soul,
He threw an empty bowl at the shopkeeper’s head.

It struck poor Mickey Flynn, peeled the skin off his chin,
And the ructions did begin, and we all fought and bled;
The peelers did arrive, man alive, four or five,
At us they made a drive for us all to march away.

We paid for all the m’at that we ate, stood a tr’at,
And went home to ruminate on the spree that day.

Glad you finally got it working gry.

It’s not to my taste at all, if anyone came out with that in our session it wouldn’t work - but hey, if I played my music in a rap club I guess that wouldn’t work.

The execution is a bit wobbly, but if the guys can do some work on their timing, and if it was all balanced a bit better, it could probably tickle someone out there.

abslolutly bloody awful. Terrible production, terrible playing, and excruciatlingly unorriginal

Posted .

No, don’t hold back Michael, tell us what you really think.

Janek: "The Butts of Greenmore Lasses": has a ring to it. If someone wanted to do a comedy routine for ITM Rap, it would be hilarious.
However, I’m afraid the younger generation might take it serious. It might start a fad and backfire. You might be letting out some best left secret ideas here.
Michael: sounds like Mr. Sunshine is back. They are terrible-terrible-terrible. At least there is something to be said about being consistent.
Snorre: thanks for the lyrics and better job at formatting than me. I was looking for "Johnny Tar" but couldn’t find it.

Hey Michael, it’s great that you liked it! Not such a curmudgeon after all, eh?

Posted by .

Great to be reminded of Johnny McEldoo. God save us from Hip Hop in all it’s hydra-headed forms.Let’s stick to music.

Sinead O’ Connor pinched her version of "I Am Stretched Out On Your Grave" from the album by that wonderful forgotten group,Scullion.And they had the good taste not to put Hip Hop beats all over a beautiful song.

Ah, Scullion - great stuff. Tension and all that. I played with a crappy amateur folky band back in my student days and we opened for Scullion once.

We weren’t invited back.

Posted by .

Jocklet: Well adding a hip-hop track (and from James Brown’s Funky Drummer, no less) to the song would make it her OWN version now, wouldn’t it? And believe it or not, there are people in this world who find the beats and rhythms of hip-hop, funk, soul, and certainly James Brown to be beautiful. Maybe just as much as the rhythms of an 18th-century Gaelic poem.

Posted by .

GRY : Did *YOU* like it? That’s what counts the most. Best Wishes! (^:

Don’t forget folks:

1) we are a bunch of losers who can’t get any pussy

2) our opinions don’t count anyway

I knew it !!!

So no amount of after-shave will work.

Posted by .

Funk and soul are musical forms,(I have a couple of James Brown and Parliament/Funkadelic albums in my collection).Hip Hop and Rap are not. How can anyone with a vestige of musical appreciation find the noise of a drum machine, someone scratching records and an eejit shouting nonsense beautiful?

You sound like my grandma.

Gosh. The ‘pouring’ sample made me need to go pee. Really.

here: the delivery of the rap/vocals is rather good, but the production in underdone. That midi:cello riff at the back is also not nearly enough to ground the song. Funk it up a bit! I quite liked what you did with the fiddle, though.

And seriously - lose the pouring and glass-breaking samples. They sound like those samples you used to get on early 90s generic "hi-tech" keyboards 😀

Posted by .

I doubt if your Grandma’s favourite album is Trout Mask Replica.At the moment I’m listening to a James Blood Ulmer album.I like Sonic Youth. I grew up with rock and roll and I’ve always revelled in it. I had my head blown off by Hendrix at a concert in 1967.I think that Jimi would have been appalled by Hip Hop.I’ve driven my family to the point of distraction with some of Tom Wait’s more extreme stuff.I even liked the Faust tapes,and I’ve been known to listen to the Residents.I’m not a reactionary old fuddy-duddy.People like Keb Mo are a rarity in the USA. Black youth has turned it’s collective back on their true musical heritage,and that makes me sad.Is anyone seriously suggesting that all the rappers and hip hoppers combined posses even one iota of the talent that Hendrix or John Lee Hooker had? In 100 years time the music of the Beatles,Hendrix,the Stones,ray Charles and all of the seminal figures in popular music will still be played and remembered,and rap and Hip Hop will be consigned to the dustbin of history ,where they belong.

BegF - it might depend what you are shaving.

I just don’t want to think about that. ;)

And there we go again. I make a perfectly innocent little remark that gets spun around 360 a few times and here we are, losers, getting no whatever, aftershave doesn’t work, you sound like my granny, the dustbin of history, crossing Celtic with Rap is Cr*p, depending on if you are shaving you thang, yuk. Anyone want to do the lyrics for The Session Jig? 😉

Not exactly my cup of tea, but little is these days. But fair play to you Gry.

KFG is no longer my hero. I am starting an M.G fan club.