Low whistle advice needed

Low whistle advice needed

Various family members including my good self play the tin whistle. Thinking of getting a low whistle in D to experiment with. I know from trying some that there are variations in the stretch required to reach the holes and the wind required.
Since I would like our ten year old to be able to play it and she has smaller hands than I, can anyone out there say which models are more likely to suit our needs. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Posted .

Re: Low whistle advice needed

I think you’ll definitely have problems with the stretch for the hands of a ten year old.

I think you’ll find that an older daughter will suit your low whistle’s needs far better. You need to get one who is at least sixteen-ish to have hands big enough to reach the holes. While you’re at it, it’s worth trying to get one who is willing to do some of the washing up and tidying up around the place.

Ah, she’s not bad with helping around the place, it has to be said - at the moment anyway. But on my query, part of my thinking was to help her to move towards playing the flute. The holes on a D flute are fairly widely spaced which she seems to be able to manage but getting the mouth to blow a steady stream of air at the right angle is tiring for her at present. Kinda thought the low whistle might help in this regard as the mouthpiece is obviously similar to what she is used to.

Posted .

might be worth trying the Dixon low D/flute combo? Shaws have conical bores so the stretch isn’t too bad - but they require a fair amount of breath. You can also get 2 or 3 piece low Ds which allow you to offset the holes for ease of fingering. I think Overton-Goldie does a short-reach low D but you’d need to check…
Michael Burke does a Low D Pro Composite in 2 pieces. Another option migh to get a G whistle - which is half-way from high D to Low D?

Posted by .

Ah - now I understand.

You want to get a low whistle that fits the daughter, not a daughter that fits the low whistle.

Hmm…. tricky.

;o) Dave

I don’t think we’ll be trading her in yet - she gets better as the years go by .. like good wine and musical instruments!!
Thanks though for advice. I’ll check out those whistles above. Ones we seem to have locally here are by Phil Hardy (Chieftain and Kerry) and also Susato.

Posted .

Barry

I was going to send you the dimensions and hole spacings of a Susato low D, but it sounds like you can see one ‘in the plastic’ locally. As well as the finger stretch, your daughter will need to be able to cover the holes adequately. The Susato has a very large hole second from bottom. It’s oval shaped, about 13 mm long (half an inch) which can be a challenge for little fingers. I don’t know how that compares with whistles by other makers.
My ten-year old lad had another go at the low D this evening and discovered he can now cover all the holes and play it OK.
So I won’t see it again for a while I expect. I think last time he tried it , some months ago, it was hopeless, so his hands must have got a bit bigger or more dexterous all of a sudden.

Good luck

My 11-yr old son is learning to play on an F# low whistle by Phil Hardy, and seems to be having a better go at it than his old man on the low D whistle.