Pave paradise and put up a parking lot!

Pave paradise and put up a parking lot!

Is it any better in your part of the world? I went to one of my usual places along the river for a solo music session. I was trying to tune my Octave Mandolin and couldn’t because of a mechanical sound. Then I noticed right across the river, bulldozers were leveling an area for some type of development. I was very sad to see this after knowing this place for more than two decades. Some of the trees they have taken down are old growth oaks. My guess is a mansion will go up with a snooty rich family wanting all the wildlife and long time visitors of this site to go away.

Re: Pave paradise and put up a parking lot!

"wanting all the wildlife and long time visitors of this site to go away…"

Wha? Like Zina, Will, Danny?

Think positive, Maybe they’ll be nice rich people who are just dying to be patrons of Irish and ScottishTraditional Music and "Old Time" American Folk Music and will give you loads of money.

Posted by .

So, just to be clear, am I a long time visitor, or wildlife?

Posted .

It’s not just where you are, CeolCairdeas. It’s everywhere.

Bulldozer Driver: “Hey, what kind of trees are these we’re knocking down?”

Chainsaw Operator: “I think they’re oaks.”

Foreman: “Perfect! We’ll call this subdivision ‘Oakwood Estates’”!

I’ve got mixed feelings about all this. Weighing the jobs provided against the loss of habitat, etc. Most of us live in areas that were once wilderness.

Both.

Posted by .

Actually, all of us live in areas that were once wilderness.

I vote for wildlife.

fidkid’s right - can’t complain too much since we all live in places that once didn’t have us round living on it.

Happy Anniversary Will!

Sorry to digress, but I think we almost missed a very important anniversary here!

Will: that was your 5001st comment on theSession.

Congratulations! And here’s looking forward to 4009 more!

Posted by .

LOL — Go on, Will, you know you want to! Sharp eye, there, Greg!

What is special about 9010 posts Grego?

D’oh!

Posted by .

Yikes! Well, it still pales next to Zina’s 8,963.

Appropriate that it came in a thread about land use and growth management, since that’s a large part of what I deal with in my work. Then again, aren’t I supposed to be rambling on ad nauseum about fiddle strings or bowing arcana? 🙂

Posted .

I feel your distress most poignantly. I was born and raised in a remote and wild area that was only accessible by a one lane logging track (which often washed out or became otherwise inaccessible). I revisited my childhood home a number of years ago and was reduced almost to tears by the complete devastation thereof… snooty mansions and all!

It is pandemic. During my first trip to Ireland, I took a day-hike/thumb out of Sligo-town to walk over a purportedly lovely bit of lonely coastline that had been described to me in poetic prose by a writer friend. It was no more. An amusement park, ubiquitous freakin’ golf course, and astonishingly ugly suburban pre-fab tract house development had levelled it…

As a species we are short sighted, greedy, and selfish. Particularly when it comes to development….

Sigh.

Sorry to break the levity of this thread but this is a subject I feel very strongly about….

Yes, but far fewer of my comments actually have any substance to them, Will. *smirk*

Well, Ceol, hopefully it isn’t a new strip mall with a nice big Walmart. I grew up here in the Gold Country and I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to all the changes. Horse pastures covered with strip malls and by-passes, lights where no lights were, subdivisions and golf courses. But there’s no stopping it.

Irish music content: Have you heard anything about a new session possibly starting in Jackson?

I love nature and music for many of the same reasons. It’s something outside of myself, indifferent to me, even, an entity of great magnitude that lets me be a part of it, if I tread lightly and with humility.

There’s a sad ironic voice in the back of my head when I see developments, woodlots and habitat razed to make way for another shopping mall. Often as I drive by on my way to a shopping mall.

Is it a stretch to compare it to the attitude of many to traditional Irish music? We treasure what has already been built up but now we want it to stay the way it is.

"As a species, we are short-sighted, greedy, and selfish …. particularly when it comes to development."

That’s what the rabbits said when the deer moved into the neighborhood.
And then the deer found themselves saying it when the mountain lions moved in…

All this reminds me of a song (don’t remember the band or the name of the song) that had a line in it, something like "we cannot go against nature cuz we’re a part of nature, too". We’re the most destructive species to ever walk the earth I suppose, but we *are* a part of nature. Deer and mountain lions indeed. The bill will come due one day and it’s gonna be ugly.

I’m not wildlife - I’m told I’m pondlife.

Yep, we’re part of it, but we’re an out-of-control part of it. Some day the other species are gonna get together and do something about us. I had three bears loitering in my back yard a few weeks ago. I wonder if they were planning something.

I thought otters were riverlife?

Dunno if any of you actually realize…when Will says that his meatspace job is all about "land use and growth management", it really is all about that? http://makeashorterlink.com/?L3AA21BEA

I don’t think the ‘Pondlife’ comment was anything to do with otters, Zina. I think they meant I was lower than Spyrogira - something like an amoeba….
I think it was some sort of putdown…..

But i’ve learned a second tune since then.

LOL, Zina, I like how my name got changed to "et al" for the third (and actually most recent) title in Amazon’s list. 🙂

Thanks for blowing my cover…now I’ll have to start wearing tweed jackets with leather patches on the elbows, and saying things like "and so on and so forth," "as it were," and "quid pro quo."

Posted .

Like that other Will(iam) - F. Buckley.

What a small world! I see Glauber was the reviewer for the Wild Country Companion.

Posted by .

Does *anybody* actually say "quid pro quo" in everyday conversation? This is totally off the subject, I know. Sorry. My aunt got hit by a truck today. I’m feeling a little off balance and kind of in shock. She’s got 9 broken ribs, a broken arm, kneecap, and collarbone, and pulmonary contusions on her lungs. She’s not in a life-threatening situation, thank god, but she’s in ICU right enough.

This is the second of my aunts to get hit by a vehicle. We’re running round to all our aunts telling them to be more careful in the streets.

Yipes.

"little boxes on the hillside and they’re all made
out of ticky-tack and they all look just the same" That was a Pete Seeger song from the 1950’s. We need a another Pete Seeger. "Pave paradise and put up a parking lot" came from Joni Mitchell’s "The Yellow Cab." She’s still around after 30 years of composing, playing and singing. Any Irish, Scottish or English trad music counterparts singing about nature or nature’s demise? Lyrics? Poetry?

My local council has made a proposal to fell *all* the street lime trees in the borough because, supposedly, they are costing too much to maintain. Most of Ealing’s residential streets were built in the 19-teens and ’20s, and these trees would have been planted at about the same time, making them 70-80 years old. They would presumably be replaced with 5-year-old saplings, which would remain until *they* became too much trouble - if they survived being vandalised by disaffected youths. Furthermore, there’s no telling what damage the felling of these limes might do the foundations of the houses - no doubt it would be more costly to rectify than lopping a few branchlets each spring.

Will: are you one and the same author of these outdoorsy books Zina gave us a link to, are you the infamous Wild Will Harmon of Mountain Men?

Could it have been Malvina Reynolds with the "ticky tacky", Ceol? Close enough and your point is well made. I’ve lost many quiet places for the same reason or because of indirect pressure because of it. From my perspective, this loss is worse in the West. Perhaps because there is more to lose?

"Was he wild when he was caught?"

"Wild? He was absolutely bl**dy livid!"

T’was Malvina Reynolds who wrote that tune. Out here in urban L.A., a bare field is something to behold since it hasn’t been built on yet. The powers that be in Riverside, CA bulldozed an orange grove to out in, really they did, an orange grove museum.

Posted by .

Little Boxes
by Malvina Reynolds

Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of tickytacky
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same
There’s a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And the people in the houses all went to the university
Where they were put in boxes and they came out all the same,
And there’s doctors and there’s lawyers, and business executives
And they’re all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

And they all play on the golf course and drink their martinis dry,
And they all have pretty children and the children go to school
And the children go to summer camp and then to the university
Where they are put in boxes and they come out all the same.

And the boys go into business and marry and raise a family
In boxes made of ticky tacky and they all look just the same.

Blimey, Quirl - you need to kick up a major campaign to stop your council doing that. As you appear to be aware, it could cause massive damage to house foundations if they’re cut down all at once, causing ‘heave’ - the opposite of subsidence. No no no, don’t let it happen…
(I’m engaged in some tree politics myself, at the moment - finding myself in the unpleasant position of needing to do some lopping and felling.)

Posted by .

Zina: Finally read the post about your Aunts. Best wishes for your aunts.
Nell: I am in process of investigating what’s happening. We have a human tsunami coming this way and I have already had to give up on old sites I used for music. Along roads, these sites are now used for dumping garbage or as toilets. All of the bridges closer to town are covered in grafitti. Maybe I need a few pro environment songs with catchy lyrics? The Native Americans in the area have a word for us that translates as "carpenter or wood ants" due to our tendency to chew up forests.

This thread reminds me a bit of the Motorway Song, recorded by the Black Family.
Speaking of that Little Boxes song, anyone ever hear the spoof of it titled "Little Captains" referring to the various Star Trek spinoffs?

ps - Quirl - not to mention the fact that cutting down all the lime trees in Ealing would be an act of heinous barbarism! Surely the whole reason that Ealing is pleasant is that it has trees? (And that nice Green in the middle). Removing any that are unhealthy or massively oversized, and planting replacements, wouldn’t be such a bad idea (otherwise they’re all liable to die at once, equally disastrous) but not just getting rid of them… agh…
Sorry, bit fixated on the tree question just now.

Posted by .

I blame the Yanks. For everything.

Bliss: I’m a yank too, and in terms of trees, I’m completely innocent. I’m a regular tree hugger. (^:
pbassnotes: So are all the little captains made of ticky tack and they all look the same?

I had the title wrong. It’s actually entitled "Little Star Treks" by Tom Tuerff. Here are the lyrics:

Words by Tom Tuerff; sung to the tune of “Little Boxes” by Malvina Reynolds (Copyright 1962).

Verse 1
Little Star Treks on my TV, little Star Treks are so ticky tacky,
Little Star Treks, little Star Treks, little Star Treks all the same.
There’s the “deep” one and the “next” one,
And the good old Bill Shatner one,
And they all look really ticky tacky, ‘cause they all look just the same!

Verse 2
And the captains on the Star Treks all rule with great efficiency.
Balding captains, balding captains, although one wears a toupee.
There’s the wigged one and the black one,
And a refined old Englishman, and they all act really ticky tacky, ‘cause they all act just the same.

Verse 3
Now the captains on the Star Treks have added another one!
Lady captain, woman captain, but a captain, just the same.
So she acts rough and she talks tough,
And she must not have any fun, ‘cause the men acted really ticky tacky,
And she must act just the same.

Verse 4
And the plot lines on the Star Treks all deal with blowing up the ship.
Dopey plot lines, goofy plot lines, but they’re plot lines just the same.
And the reason is the plot lines are written by the same three guys,
And they all write really ticky tacky,
And they all write just the same!

Verse 5
And the bad guys on the Star Treks wear prosthetic body parts,
Scary bad guys, rubber bad guys, but they’re bad guys just the same.
There’s the Klingon and Ferengi and sometimes a Romulan,
And they all look really ticky tacky, though they don’t look quite the same!
[Repeat Verse 1]

I blame the Scots.

Ever seen the conventions for Trekkies?
Brings back memories of the first season ever. A small plastic model of the Enterprise hung by (obvious) fishing line. A fourth of July (fireworks) sparkler at the exhaust pipe to denote state of the art sci fi tech. Getting old now, and I have to use my other hand to divide my fingers for the Vulcan salute. "Live long and prosper."

You know more about "Trekkies" than muppets anyway CC. There is by the way a strong English folk tradition of songs against change/pulling down pubs/wrecking beauty spots and building God awful looking buildings. The English are realists. The Irish sing about love and such to foster the image of the feckless lover.

Bliss: if you are going to blame the Scots, please allow for me wearing a kilt to sessions. That was the advice I got on the "relieving yourself at sessions" thread. I’ll be sitting next to the potted palm tree that should grow well with the extra watering and nutrients. Do you know the names of those English Traditional Songs? Maybe I’ll learn a few tunes to sing at the bulldozer drivers. If I’m bad enough, maybe they’ll go away. Were you trying to say a "fickled" lover (meaning temperamental)? The ancient Irish had sacred trees and believed in nature spirits. I would have fit in well back then. (^:

Feckless is fickle. Even Shane Magowan wrote a song called "White City" about the greyhound racing track being bulldozed.

Nina and Frederick did an extra verse of "Little Boxes" about the rich peoples’ houses on the Med "There’s a white one, and a white one, and a white…….."
Over here, in the old country ( one of the old countries ) you need planning permission to build on a greenfield site, not to mention the Green Belt around big cities where you cant build at all. (Theoretically, anyway ).
I guess in the US people haven’t yet realised that space around them isn’t infinite. Back on my native island the only bits of land not in use are cliff, bare rock, or beach.

Guernsey Pete: I’d love to hear the new verse or even a rewrite. Its still a powerful theme. We need more tunes for the environment. Any traditional or other tunes from your country? (^:

The Motorway Song
(as performed by the Black Family)

Chorus:
They’re going to build a motorway through me back garden.
No one can explain why I came to be chosen.
They’re going to build a motorway, they’re rippin’ up the trees.
Soon the lorries will be zoomin’ though my cabbages and peas.

Vs 1:
Word came from the Council, it was just about to plan.
I didn’t understand; it sounded very grand.
They talked of urban redevelopment, improvin’ the environment.
They says, "To ease the traffic flow, a bit of my back garden ‘ave to go."
Well I don’t know.
I suppose that those who started it must know best.
And I wouldn’t want me vegetable patch to stand in the way of progress.

Repeat chorus:

Vs 2:
My brother lives in Isle Grove; it’s just across the street.
I’ve not seen him for weeks. We always used to meet,
and have a pint or two at Paddy Lowe’s. It’s just a heap of rubble now.
The Pawn Shop’s disappeared, so’s the Barber’s where we always used to go.
Well I dunno.
These noisy great machines are working non-stop.
And funny things are growing and it looks as though the bomb’s dropped.

Chorus:
The bulldozers are closing in now on me back garden.
The bulldozers are closing in, they’ve ripped up all the trees.
Soon the lorries will be zooming through me cabbages and peas.

Vs 3:
I don’t go out much anymore, can’t find me way around.
One nearly knocks me down, there’s tunnels underground,
and just to get about from place to place, it’s like a bleedin’ steeple-chase.
Day and night the traffic flows. It’s best to plug your ears and hold your nose.
Well I suppose;
I’m better off and some will think I’m just sour.
And I’m grateful for the grandstand view I’m getting of the rush hour.

Chorus:
They’ve built an 8-lane motorway through me back garden.
They built an 8-land motorway, they ripped up all the trees.
Now the lorries zoom where once I grew me cabbages and peas.

Zina, if you are still there!

I used quid pro quo in conversation just the other day. I can’t remember in what context but we frequently lapse into Latin down our way 🙂

pbassnote: Wow! Thank you. I’ll have to check out the Black Family.