Danu: a new CD and DVD.

Danu: a new CD and DVD.

Try this link to the band website:
http://www.danu.net/

Danu by ITM standards: what is your opinion? What is your opinion about the addition of a female vocalist, Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh?

The new CD will be released April 26, and it is called "When All is Said." The DVD, One Night Stand, has already been released and Amazon.com has it for distribution. If anyone has already purchased one or both of these items, what is your opinion? (^:

Re: Danu: a new CD and DVD.

In the "joke thread", someone asked "Why did Danu cross the road?" Answer "To get to the middle." Or something similar.

Actually, Muireann has grown on me, especially after seeing her perform live on a few occasions. She is also a very good flute and whistle player. I saw her perform recently with Julie Fowlis and she was excellent.

Perhaps, they do come across as a little more mainstream these days but that doesn’t matter to me. I will be buying the new album regardless.

Ditto. She’s grown on me too as I’ve listened and relistened to the Road Less Travelled. Likewise, I’ll be buying the CD & DVD.

I saw them in March and really (really) enjoyed them. Muireann has a beautiful low voice and is a demon on the whistle and flute. And Oisin McAuley is a wonderful fiddler- he plays a really cool 5 string with a pickup. I don’t have the CD or DVD yet but the operative word there is yet.

Oisin is a real star backed by some incredible string rythyms ..shame the piano accordion player has taken a sabatical though but he’ll be back i’m sure. good band ..but needs the real artists to come forward and shake off the bad wood ..flute is good as is strings …but.

Deff Goat,

Danu has never had a piano accordionist!

All the best,

Geoff

Posted by .

Benny McCarthy is a melodian player and is a founding member of Danu. See the photo of him in a bubble bath practicing accordian.

I REALLY liked their first three albums. When you look at some bands, such as Lunasa and Solas, there is something to be said about a group of talented musicians first recording with each other. There is a certain spirit to it. Muireann has a wonderful voice and is a great singer. However, it is a change, and I don’t hear the old chemistry consistently in each track anymore. I am hoping they will develop into a new chemistry with the new album, as I think a female vocalist adds a nice new dimension to the music. (^:

The first singer (I can’t remember his name), does play piano accordian. Just not all the time.

I love Danu I will definatly find a way to get this new album and I think I know just how.

Posted by .

Looks like they have started calling the sets by one name as opposed to just haveing the tunes listed now it won’t take as long to put in my iPod.

Posted by .

Has anyone seen a live performance? I am specifically interested in Donnchadh Gough’s technique with the bodhran. I keep hearing a unique slap tone on their recordings and wonder if he has a special tipper to achieve this sound.

I love this band, and look forward to seeing them live at some point when they visit the US. They seem like good folks who have fun playing the music, and while they add some modern touches, they don’t stray too far from their traditional roots. If that makes them "middle of the road" well then I guess my taste in music is "middle of the road."

re "Danu has never had a piano accordianist"

Ciarán Ó Gealbháin did indeed play the piano accordian.

Posted by .

The concert isn’t too different from the set they played in the states last year, but there are some additional tunes and sets. The "Danu Experience" - rhythm, speed, and energy - is all there though, and it is fun to watch.

I especially found the interviews interesting; Osin is incredible to watch and Donal does a nice solo finger picking piece on the guitar. Does anyone know the name of the tune he’s playing?

So, all in all, it’s worth the $18, IHMO.

I mean, the DVD is worth the $18, IHMO. Why can’t I go back and edit my posts?

I saw them last September at the Pittsburgh Irish Festival and thought they were great. I spoke with Benny (Brendan) at the post-show autograph session, told me he plays a Galliard, has played them all, loves this one the best so far. Briefly also spoke with Muireann, Donncladh (plays bodhran and a very nice uilleann pipes solo), and Tom Doorley (flute), and got them to sign a CD "All Things Considered". They were all very nice and gracious folks.
After the show that evening, Benny (along with a number of other Festival performers including members of Gaelic Storm, The Makem Brothers, etc) had a big session/bash at the Harp & Fiddle along with a number of Pittsburgh local Irish musicians. Much fun was had!

I have posted it in the Recordings section. I have listened to it once it is pretty good.

Posted by .

Any one know where to get the cd Morning Star by Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh? I’ve tried the usual outlets without success.