What are your favorite tracks or albums for exemplary bouzouki, cittern, octave mandolin or mandolin playing?

What are your favorite tracks or albums for exemplary bouzouki, cittern, octave mandolin or mandolin playing?

I just wanted a thread where people could mention their favorite musicians, groups, tracks or albums featuring lead/support bouzouki, cittern, octave mandolin or mandolin playing. Is there a specific style of playing, technique you like?

Re: What are your favorite tracks or albums for exemplary bouzouki, cittern, octave mandolin or mandolin playing?

Rod Stuart - Mandolin Wind 😉

Posted by .

Re: What are your favorite tracks or albums for exemplary bouzouki, cittern, octave mandolin or mandolin playing?

Kevin MacLeod -
- Springwell
- Polbain to Oranmore (w/Alec Finn)

Dagger Gordon
- Highland mandolin
- The Frozen River

Dan Beimborn
- Shatter the Calm

Aly Bain & Ale Moller
- Fully Rigged

Any Planxty
Any Hom Bru

Posted by .

Gerald Trimble - First Flight
https://thesession.org/recordings/468

Roger Landes - Dragon Reels
https://thesession.org/recordings/535

RL & Chipper Thompson - The Jannisary Stomp

I enjoy the Dan Biemborn and Alec Finn / Kevin Mcleod albums mentioned above too.

If you are a melody player on this family of instruments, I consider these albums essential listening.

Enjoy,

Greg

The Easy Club.

😉
I’d say
Mike Marshall - briliant albums with fidler Darol Anger http://www.mikemarshall.net/
Chris Thile - album with Mike Marshall, as well as with Nickel Creek http://www.nickelcreek.com/
Tim O’Brien - lately I’m listening to Two Jurneys album really nice http://www.timobrien.net/
Not very Irish but really good.

Posted by .

and for bouzouki Jamie McMenemy (Kornog) and Donal Lunny

Posted by .

Another vote for two mentioned above:

Roger Landes
- Dragon Reels

Kevin MacLeod & Alec Finn
- Polbain to Oranmore

I have heard and enjoyed most of the albums and musicians mentioned so far, including Chris Thile and Nickel Creek. I just want to mention a few more. There’s an old Frankie Gavin and Alec Finn album that I think came before De Danann. I love the work of Ciaran Curran through all the years he has been with Altan and his "Sport" on the Local Ground album. I have recently encountered the Rock and More Roses album of Battlefield Band member Pat Kilbride. I can’t say that I like all of his tracks, but his cittern and guitar are awesome through several tracks. Old Blind Dog (before the "Fit?" album and loss of three original members) had a unique, strong Cittern background for most of its tunes contributed by Buzzbee McLean. (^:

Little musgrave; planxty. Listen to it with headphones

Posted .

Buzzby McMillan :^)

Posted by .

Capercaille(Manus Lunney), The ORiarda live gig with Arty McGlynn and Manus, Donall Lunney, Coolfin with Donal Lunney, Tamalin with Kevin Dorris or Andy Irvine and Paul Brady album.All have amazing bozouki leads throughout the albums

Not sure if anyone has mentioned Paul Kelly (Mandolin Album) and Simon Mayor - see http://www.mandolin.co.uk.

Both of these are well worth listening to.

Posted by .

Oh yea and Stoney steps(Matt Molloy) Has amazing playing-again by D Lunney

Mick Moloney.

Not my only favourite but it was high time he was mentioned :-0

Rabharta Ceoil (In Full Spate) - Paddy Glackin and Dónal Lunny.
Also if you can still get your hands on "The irish Bouzouki" it has some great players - including some of the aforementioned. This is where you can get the book:
http://www.elderly.com/books/items/224-11.htm

I think it comes with the accompanying cassette. Some of the tracks here are unavailable elsewhere, e.g. Andy irvine’s recording of the song "Bridget".
Niall O’Callanain is a lovely player; you can hear him on the Deiseal recordings with Cormac Breathnach.

C

Deiseal with Cormac Breathnach,Paul O Driscoll and Niall O Callinain is amazing in my opinion also but apparrently hard to get.

You’re telling me! I stood on one CD and "lost" the other! No doubt the second one is enjoying it’s new home on one of my mate’s CD racks.

Thanks Bren - those brain cells floated down the River Pale Ale. 0^: Buzzbee McMillan! We need a conspiracy to get him back into this type of playing with a new group. There was an awesome track on a generic "Irish Jigs and Reels" with Various Artists being anonymous. It starts with an extended, excellent bouzouki performance. Anyone know who the musician is?

For bouzouki accompaniment, anything with Alec Finn.

Seamus Egan, on top of everything else, is a great mandolin player. I’ve heard one solo mandolin track of him on a Solas album (‘Sunny Spells and Rainy Showers’, I think.).

Nobody seems to have mentioned Declan Corey of the Josephine Marsh Band yet. Personally, I am not too keen on his bluegrass leanings, but there is no disputing his brilliance as a mandolin player.

I have a recording of a fine mandolin player called John Colfer, from Galway (‘Swinging on a Gate). But I think there are some great players out ther yet to be recorded. Sean Casey, unfortunately, rarely plays mandolin nowadays (it was once his main instrument), but I believe he features on a recording with his late father, Bobby Casey (‘Casey in the Cowhouse’). Another player who deserves to be recorded is Eddie Moloney of Quin, East Clare.

Every time I go back to a De Dannan or Gavin recording, my appreciation of Alec Finn’s playing is renewed. I think it’s subtly brilliant. I like the way he’s able to complement the tune without sounding like a rhythm section. It’s similar to the way a good clawhammer banjo player can support and color an American fiddle tune. Sometimes the oom-pa of accompaniment distracts from what the tune has to say.

David Surette is a grossly under-rated guitar and mandolin player from New England. I can never understand why he isn’t better known.

I recommend his ‘Back Roads’ CD (1993). Some wonderful playing, much of which is Irish music.

Guitar is his main instrument (flatpick and fingerstyle), but he does quite a lot of mandolin, plus some tenor banjo and bouzouki. A really excellent player. As I say - grossly under-rated.

Dagger Gordon.

In addition to Ciaran Curran of Altan andAlec Finn, Michael Holmes of Dervish does nice backing work.

I love the tight, well coordinated arrangements Dervish has had for a team of Octave Mandolin, Bouzouki and Guitar. It is very evident in their "best of" album, "Decade." Unfortunately, I am hearing less of it currently. Dervish is different since their manager died.

That Bouzouki track is on a Celtophile "Irish Jigs and Reels." A bit confusing, as there is another Various Artists Jigs and Reels .

This is all bouzouki stuff…

On Kieran O’Hare’s eponymous (and first) CD, he plays three Scottish tunes on whistle and John Doyle backs him on the last of them, just brilliantly! I think it’s in C#, too! Really a dramatic arrangement.

Zan McLeod’s playing on "The Ring Sessions" with James Kelly is a great favorite of mine. I like Zan’s playing wherever I can hear it.

The zouk backing on Siobhan Peoples’ and Murty Ryan’s CD, "Time On Our Hands" is really nicely done.

Eoin O’Neill’s playing on his CD "In Session" is lovely.

Pat Broaders’ zouk playing with Bohola is a favorite, too. He plays very differently when he plays with others, tho. I heard him back up Tommy Peoples, and then Joannie Madden in St Louis and he was brilliant. He plays a huge Joe Foley instrument that he calls something other than a bouzouki.

Chipper Thompson is AMAZING.

My favorite among Roger Landes’ recordings is the live house concert recording with Randal Bays, called "House to House". There is some splendid mandolin on that too.

Mandolinically, Andy Irvine’s playing always delights me, and Dan Beimborn’s CD stays in ‘heavy rotation’ around here. So does Tim O’Brien’s "The Crossing".

stv
www.cdbaby.com/Culchies

Ditto on Zan McLeod. Don’t know how he slipped my mind. His style has probably influenced my playing more than anyone elses. He has a phenomenal ability to add wonderful and diverse accents that accentuate the melody line.

I second the recommendation of Kevin MacLeod. Wonderful playing, and stellar accompanimnet by Alec Finn. Quite the musical chemistry those two have! I saw them playing together several times at the 2002 Zoukfest in New Mexico and was mightily impressed.

Gerald Trimble! I have this various artist Celtophile album called Jigs and Reels, and the second track is beautiful bouzouki. The vintage is probably mid to late 1980’s. I see someone else has already cited it on this thread. Vintage but exemplary stuff.

Great list of luminary players!

I just realized that I had forgotten a pretty new one.

On the Boston Edge CD, John McGann plays a tremendous set on mandolin, solo! It’s fantastic!

I don’t remember what the tunes are just now, and Min has the car with the CD in it… The whole Boston Edge CD is great, but that’ mando solo is a real high point!

stv
www.cdbaby.com/Culchies

Planxty / Dervish / Altan 🙂

Posted by .

Daithí Kearney plays mandolin on some fo the trackes of Nuadas album, ‘Open the Door for 3’. Its up for the best newcomers award at this years Irish Music Mag awards…

Just came across this topic .
I still would frequently play the album ‘The Morning Star’ by Marla Fibish &Jimmy Crowley.

belfastred, you should check out Marla’s new album, The Bright Hollow Fog, too