It’s just pure, unadulterated jealousy.

It’s just pure, unadulterated jealousy.

Jealousy, nothing else, just jealousy. That’s why the bodhran is not liked.

Albeit jealousy on a number of levels.

1.Punters love the bodhran, and it must be annoying for the best piper who ever lived to be playing his/her soul out, and the punters are all round a mediocre bodhran player, saying "that’s great". This causes jealousy. But you need to get over it. I mean punters love Jimi Hendrix, but John Williams is the guitar player of the two, and isn’t unduly worried about public perception.

2.You don’t need to read dots, ABC or music, you don’t even have to know the tune to play the bodhran. This causes jealousy, especially from others struggling on other instruments, who would love to be able to join in, and assume the bodhran is easy to play.

3.Jealousy when "purists" meet a good player, and realise that the bodhran doesn’t just provide a beat, it is the heart beat of ITM. That’s why discerning punters also like the bodhran.

4.And finally jealousy because even god awful players get to join in, until someone with sense tells them where to get off.

All jealousy. No thought given to the fact that the exceptional player may not know the notes, but knows the set of tunes, thousands of them, and is then able to adapt his/her playing to that set.

No thought given to the fact that the bodhran is not as easy to play as it looks. Have you ever wondered why there are a great number of bad bodhran players, yet all fiddlers appear to be acceptable? The bodhran obviously can’t be that easy to play.

Your sole defence is that there are a lot of poor bodhran players about, and if the heart beat is sick, well the whole body dies. And that is the last source of jealousy. The realisation that the bodhran controls all. Well, it would make you jealous if you were one of the hierarchy.

I defy anyone, who has looked into their soul, to say that any of the above is not true.

Re: It’s just pure, unadulterated jealousy.

"You don’t need to read dots, ABC or music, you don’t even have to know the tune to play the bodhran." - Blisster

The first half of this applies to any istrument in regards to playing ITM. The second half illustrates why there’s no jealousy involved.

Next topic.

Ha ha, good man Jack

Next topic.

Posted .

Actually, if you don’t know the tunes that your druming along with then your a poor player. The Bodhran is about accompianing the music, if you don’t know the tunes, then you can’t give a good beat. It’s not all thump, thump, it’s about being part of the music, not just laying on top of it (and smothing it in the process). When I’m at my local session, if there is a tune that I don’t know (and by know I mean, can lilt it in my head (believe me, no one would want to hear me do that out loud 🙂 )) then I’ll put the goat down and listen.
Otherwise I’m not playing music, I’m just making noise.

Posted by .

This thread feels like Deja Vu all over again. Anything provoke this renewed argument? You love verbal hurling. When hurled at, you can predict the response. This is a regular pitch and catch. Unless the game breaks down and people start playing oversize spoons off each others’ heads. In which case I vote for adulterated jealousy to jump to another thread.
Jack: my only question is where you are dividing his statement in half. You count words, count syllables, use a measuring device, spit at the monitor to estimate the halfway point? 😉

Bliss, there’s a lot of truth in what you say. A good bodhran player can complement the tune even if he/she does not know the exact tune.

Yes, in the right setting, the bodhran *can* be the heartbeat of ITM. Doesn’t happen a lot, but you’re right in what you say.

I’ve heard some cracking (and un-famous) players all over Ireland, so I know exactly what you’re talking about. But sometimes talking about it just ain’t enough.

We’ve all read your posts, and there have been some pretty good ones, but to really get your message across, you have *so* got to make your playing heard on this site. Mighty Craic Online is shouting for you!!

If you want to take up the offer, e-mail me for details.

Jim

Hurling…

"When hurled at, you can predict the response."

The North American interpretation of that remark is very apt, under the circumstances.

Posted by .

I know three great bodhran player. Although the best of the three loses points whenever he decides to join in on slow airs and waltzes - that’s not necessary.
There’s nothing wrong with a proper bodhran, the problem is with someone who thinks it’s actually easy to play the bodhran, just because they use to beat the tune with an ashtray, or played air drums to rock music.
Bodhranbliss, you’re right to be proud - if you’re a good player that is…

Posted by .

This logic is typical of ignorance. And I mean ignorance in a very straight forward manner. Ignorance of the music. You are ignorant of the tunes and yet you asume that those who are not ignorant of the tunes are jealous of you?

next topic please. PLEASE

Posted .

Hear Hear Jim, Bliss - put yourself up on The Mighty Craic online!

Posted by .

LOL — Michael Gill, YOU are taking a windup seriously?!? Who are you, and what have you done with Our Curmudgeon!?

I wonder if Bliss is actually Gry reformed. 😏

And here’s another bit of skewed logic; "people dislike the bodhran because there are loads of bad bodhran players about".

This one really bugs me.

Posted .

I’m sorry Zina, you are right. I’m such a sucker for that carrot and stick thing.

And you know what else bugs me? It’s the inevitable e-mail I’ll get from the "omnipotent one".

Posted .

*smirk* Aw, you’re probably working off some bad karma or something, Michael.

How’re the sprogs, David? Has the jealousy thing worked itself out?

Heh. Well, these things happen. Someday Kate will get to be jealous of their girlfriends.

I have only read two replies, and already it suggests what I already knew, many peoples attention span does not allow them to read more that one paragraph.

If you read on down you will note it says something like "NO THOUGHT GIVEN TO THE FACT THAT THE EXCEPTIONAL PLAYER LITERALLY HAS TO KNOW THOUSANDS OF TUNES, IF NOT THE NOTES".

hence your theory is sunk Jack. I realise that you are impulsive, and jumped to a conclusion, but Lord Ha Ha who followed does not even have that excuse. The last time you said next topic Jack on the first post, I think you said the same thing on number 282.

Since appearing on this site I was not aware about rules concerning bodhran players, or other rules. Perhaps because I was too busy playing, not having an inferiority complex. I was genuinely trying to discover the reason, hence the other threads, and this thread provides the answer.

Sheer unadultered jealousy.

<i>…your theory is sunk Jack.</i>

His theory is sound, as it is not dependant upon your modifier.

I have no comment on your post itself, since:

"…to say that *any* of the above is not true." …

is clearly false. There are indeed a lot of poor bodhran players around.

KFG

Posted by .

Toddlers also like putting bugs in their mouths - so I dont place much weight on that ;)

Posted by .

David — ew. *smirk*

Another type of jealousy. Those not brought up in the tradition resent humble bodhran players knowing thousands of tunes. And they call it ignorence. It takes all sorts.

URGER: I urge you to learn more tunes. That way you can put the drum down when you want to listen to someone in particular, or when YOU decide it is appropriate.

Cath: What do you mean if?

Jim and the other jealous pharisees, do you think I ask Tiger Woods to come over here to I see if he can play golf?

Besides, six months to learn a smiley "😉, it would be a posthumous recording by the time I knew enough about IT to oblige.

I left an opening there. Every answer so far has been sheer unadulterated jealousy. I hope you are not all trying to shield behind attempted humour.

And Zina, this thread is not a wind up. M.G can’t read anyway so it would be a waste of time.

Rather this is the moment of truth, the last utterances by Bliss on this site. I searched for the truth and found it.

Sheer unadulterated jealousy.

Yep - I’m over in June…..(I’m assuming that question was for me David - tho I could be wrong🙂

Posted by .

Is this thread still going?

"if the heartbeat is sick, the whole body dies" I agree. But does the "bodhran control all"? Of course not. A good player whether, fiddler, fluter, box player, whatever, keeps both melody and rhythm (heartbeat) alive and healthy. It must be so—after all it is dance music and bodhrans were not always around in the past—or even in the present.

I don’t understand all of the jealousy and finger pointing—at apparantly everyone else who participates on this site. Maybe I missed something….

Remember, when one finger is pointing at someone else, 3 are pointing back at yourself. A little soul searching may be needed here bodhran bliss. Now don’t get angry with me on that point either.

And since when is every fiddler acceptable? Wouldn’t I love that!

Also, it’s not hard to get your music up at Jim’s site. Beleive me, if *I* can do it anyone can!!

Posted by .

Ha! : )

Posted by .

Darn! I don’t know how to do the smiley thing!

Posted by .

Speaking of Jim D - where has he been of late
"bb" where are you going in June?? - Relevance: I might be jealous!

Discuss, in not less than 800 words, the difference between "unadulterated jealousy" and ordinary "jealousy" (the adulterated species), with particular reference to the various forms of such adulteration,
Answers on my desk by 9am Wednesday.
Trevor

Unadulterated = not mixed with impurities
Adulterated = corrupted; defiled; debased; contaminated
All jealousy is adulterated except jealousy of Bodhran players!?!
Or how about "Is it possible to commit adultery with a bodhran?"

I am moving to london, I’ll be travelling around for 6 weeks before hand tho - so I wont be in London until August.

PS - this is just the biggest windup thread Ive come across in ages and ages!

Posted by .

Unadulterated = haven’t been cheated on

bb: If this gets the right response BB (note the capitals) will be back with even a bigger wind up.
Donough: How do you adulterate a bodhran? I’ve been drunk enough to look small holes cross eyed with evil intentions, but not drunk enough to ….. er, well I won’t go there. Me and my bodhran have a platonic relationship.
Jackliss: where did you go? Sucking more stout our of your beard? Playing squishy accordian? Spitting at the monitor to estimate?
Bliss: Goaty thang beater as meself. Don’t go away. If thee be offended with unadulterated jealousness, we’ll try adulterated jealousy. Always more fund to scr#w with thangs.
Professor Trevor: Can I have an extension on the assignment so I can fully experience both adulterated and unadulterated jealousy? For those wanting to experience the former, meet me at Shiela’s Massage Parlor and ITM Pub.

"Shiela’s Massage Parlor and ITM Pub"
Is that all one and the same place, and is ego massage included in the services offered.
Question: Would it be adultery for a fiddle player to pick up a bodhran and put it on their lap? Think of the fiddle’s feelings about this.
bb: it looks like Bodhranbliss gets the capitals (BB) and you get the little ones (bb). Are you going to London sort of permanently - no point visiting Sydney any more🙂

What,. Bliss, leave, go away, and break my heart? Say it’s not so. *smirk*

beebs is prob better - most people call me that, zeens, dow, conan, nell etc and its less confusing;)

I’m going for about 12 months. Thats the plan at the moment anyways🙂

Posted by .

Yes, and now everyone calls me "zeens" because of you and Mark, Brides. My father used to call me "zinc", I’m not sure why.

Zeens is cool tho! Not sure about Zinc!
I blame Mark for ‘Beebs’ but now I call him ‘Dow’ in real life, so what goes around comes aroundl;)

Posted by .

Zina, did Blisster say his whoa-is-me speech and I missed it?

I think this thread has just about unravelled which is not bad for a wind-up.
Beebs enjoy your year in UK but stay in touch here especially as you spy on the sessions over there.

Jealousy of a bodhran player? Dream on!

"Jim and the other jealous pharisees" .. how can I be jealous of someome I haven’t heard?

For someone who states that they are in the league of John Joe Kelly, I think we all deserve to hear you.

Oh, silly me. I forgot. It’s all a wind-up! I’ll look forward to the next one.

Jim

I’ve been tyrying to get my head round the logic of this one all morning and it really is a bit of a head feck.

On the face of it, it just looks plain wrong:
"I can’t play music.
So I asume those who can are jealous of me."

Like we should all put down our fiddles and flutes in a cry of, "What’s the feckin’ point, when some eedjit with a simple drum gets all the adulation."

Hmm

But the more you look into it, the more you see a kind of elegance in the argument. What it really says is simply;
"You’re just jealous."

You see, I missed the trick there. I was racking my poor brain to try to discover what it actually was that I was supposed to be jealous of. Then it dawned on me. I was thinking too hard.

All it is is a kid’s acusation. A playgroung spat. A "nar nar na nar nar".

Posted .

Remember how I moaned at you a bit for putting people down the other day Michael. I totally regret it. You were right and I was wrong and I realise that now after reading this thread! 🙂

Thanks Dow. I appreciate that

Posted .

Bodhran players are just jealous of people trying to play instruments.
Why else do they insist on drowning them out all the time?

Ner, ner , ner.

Posted by .

Haven’t you discussed this before Bliss?

As Jim says, email him for details, and he’d give you the Mighty Craic Online submission instructions…

I’m not jealous of any bodhrán players - sorry.

I definitely think you are GRY or he is your lovechild or something…..there is a connection….

Seems to me like you’d all be players to be jealous of if you spent a little more time playing and less doing this sort of ting. This forum is a great way to assitance and feedback on a variety of areas but to be honest this sort of bullocks does no one any good. Personally I’d expect a little more intelligence from a bodhran player :P

Seriously though how ‘bout some tunes? 🙂

by the way i can’t type!!!! (shows off my level of forum dedication i guess)

Jim, someone told me that John Joe Kelly was in my league, and I believed them, although I had never heard of him.

At least M "Lord Ha Ha" G now understands the thread after reading it, and can understand the concept of the likes of a great fiddle player thinking, "what’s the use if people are only listening to that racket on the drum".

In the same vein a great bodhran player might do the same thing if people were "fawning" around a useless fiddle player.

The rest of you are jealous of bodhrans, otherwise you would not fear them so much.

Ignorance is bliss…

Posted by .

Why do you find it so hard to accept that there are a lot of people don’t like Bodhrans?

Posted by .

Bliss, I’ve heard John Joe Kelly play, but I’ve never heard you play. I have read your posts where you make claims about how good you are. In fact, I’ve read all your recent posts and threads, which range from being interesting, through controversial, provocative, with some seemingly designed simply to wind people up.

I’ve already agreed with you about your earlier opinions regrding the musical power of the bodhran in the right hands. If there’s one thing your posts roused in me, it’s my curiosity!

I just thought it would be a good idea for you to present your playing to this site’s members to reinforce your views. There’s no good reason why you couldn’t, but I suspect it’s more that you simply don’t want to. I made an offer. If you don’t want to take it up, that’s entirely up to you.

Jim

For the sake of argument, lets say there’s a concert in your town by famous fiddler accompanied by famous bodhran player. Famous fiddler is suddenly taken ill – what happens to the show ? If, on the other hand, famous bodhran player is taken ill, – work it out for yourself.

Posted by .

"the last utterances by Bliss on this site." famous last words - Oh - sorry they weren’t after all P-)

Talking about Mighty Craic, Jim sorry I said that I’d send you my track thru’ but I’m still waiting to get my concertina fixed so I can record. It definitely will happen tho’. Just so you don’t think I’m chickening out or whatever.

Bliss, you are the same person as GRY, no?

I hesitate jumping in but what the heck - lots of meaningless garble before. I’m new as a serious listener of ITM ("played" the Highland Pipes many years ago) and the bodhran. Always liked Irish music and wanted to participate. Couldn’t figure to be able to spend a lot of time learning the basics of a melody instrument and would take too much time to learn it well. So, I turned to the bodhran and became "hypnotized" by the beat and its variations.

Now, I realize that ITM can go on without bodhran and had for hundreds of years before the 60s. However, bodhran adds another dimension if it’s played well. Bodhran will always be a supporting instrument to the melody players -that’s just the way it is. I can appreciate a solo bodhran for a learning experience but not track after track. It would be like listening to a Gene Krupa ( famous U.S. drummer) for an entire evening —too much.

I end with what I’ve learned so far in ITM and from folks on this site regarding the bodhran- "really listen" to the music and play to it, play within yourself, know when to come in and when to get out (sometimes not playing at all), respect the melody because that is the tune (and listeners leave whistling the melody, not the rolls on the goatskin), and be respectful of others’ playing abilities. Finally, have a good time and continue to learn.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. I’ll shut up now.

Yet another example of you not understanding the music …

No musician would ever be bothered by punters not listening to them. This is where you asume arrogance where there is none.

Posted .

Wangadeewangwangwang…

Hambutterandeggs…Hambutterandeggs…

BlackandDeckerBlackandDecker…

Oh I see what you mean…

Is this a piece of your brain?

"bOdhran envy",,,is that what they call it now?

Seems to me you might be spending a bit too much time banging your own drum there… I mean, really.

Do you think that a concert pianist would be jealous of the percussionist playing the kettle drum? Or triangle?

If this is truly an opinion of a sober sapient being then give me your number…I have an amazing real estate offer on the Sydney Harbour Bridge for you.

Greetings Bodhrán Bliss,

As a fellow bodhrán player, obviously not of your seniority and prowess, can you tell me how long it is that I have to practice so that I too can look into the hearts and minds of others and be able to categorically determine their motives?

For the last nearly fifty years of my life I have had enough of a time understanding all that motivates me in all circumstances. I once thought that I may never be able to judge the basis of other’s motivations. I see now by the view of the world you have developed that I was wrong.

I also see now that one really can learn something new each day if they try hard enough. Thank you so very much for enlightening me. Wow! What a great day!

Peace,
Ed

How, in the name of God, can anyone be jealous of a dead goat or even someone that decides to beat it to death after it’s dead? Everything in moderation, abuse included……

There’s a female I know who visits sessions and folk festivals. She actually "dabbles" in a bit of everything including the bodhran. Now, I did make the suggestion to her that there was the valid argument that a bodhran player should actually know the tunes(as often said here) before they accompany(or attempt to) them. To my surprise, she agreed that this was *certainly* the case. However (and I bit my tongue), although I know that she could play a few tunes(mostly in C ) on the box, there was no way that she knew all the tunes that she was accompanying on the bodhran.
Otherwise, why doesn’t she just play them on the box?

The ownwer of a pub I know decided to organise a session in order to bring in more customers, so he advertised "open trad session friday at 21:00" , but only four bodhran players showed up. No musicians.
Was there a session? NO.
We almost died of a laugh attack when he told us about that one!
lol

Did they not even have a song in them?
Maybe, that’s just as well though!

an amazing bodhran player is the one from deaf shepard, he blew me away

I just can’t believe anyone is taking Bliss seriously, myself. There’s a turn-up, don’t you think? ;)

Try this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000058KS/qid%3D1115130377/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/102-6166455-4735338
Humors of Ballyloughlin set by Eilleen Ivers and Johnny McDonagh recorded in the 1980’s is one of the best bodhran tracks highlighting Johnny’s expressive style of playing……but still compatible with the music.

(The Gerald Trimble second track recorded in the early 1980’s is also great Cittern).

I think it’s the bravado Zina. I know he’s trying to wind me up, but there’s more to it than the gentle ribbing. The guy really does think he knows the music, even though I’ve pointed out again and again how his postings prove he doesn’t

Posted .

Well, we can’t know that, can we? He could just be winding people up to the extent that he’s willing to say silly things in order to do it. We could ask JfiddlerH if Bliss actually does know the music, or Maria. Having played with him, I’d rather think that they’d know. *smirk* Though it’d be fun to do it online and in the open forum, just to put ‘em on the spot. bwahahaha.

Damn, sometimes I am just so happy to not read these threads…

Posted by .

And why, if he is so convinced about the merits of the bodhran, does he have to feel compelled to defend it constantly? He should just play the damned thing, if this is what he really wants to do!

Well Bodhran Bliss, I should like to hear you before forming an opinion - hence the "if"
On the subject of written entertainment value on this site though, I think you’re up there with the best.
c

Posted by .

Ah, I had a thought…

Q. What would a session with bodhrans and melody players be without the bodhrans?

A. A session.

Q. What would a session with bodhrans and melody players be without the melody players?

A. Noise.

Posted by .

Rubbish!

Posted by .

I think MG you miss Bliss’s whole basis for existance, he regards the music as not something you either understand or you don’t. He doesn’t really think its a matter of life or death! If i may speculate i think Bliss takes anything seriously, (just ask him about his snooker conspiracy theories!!!!). There does seem to be an over emphasis on something on this site of understanding the music, would it not be better to have the criteria of enjoying the music?

I mean i believe plenty of people feel the music more than me (curse classical training!!!!) but i’m glad it doesn’t prevent me playing!!

How could we possibly have a standard of understanding the music?
Who’s objective enough to judge?
Who’s pretentious enough to attempt to judge?

It seems as though you’re applying science to an art.

So to answer your question Zina i could answer if Bliss ‘understands’ the music as i believe it’s a completely invalid question.

Far be it from me to defend Bliss of course 🙂

Sorry that should have read i
DON’T think Bliss takes anything seriously

Damn more corrections…. I couldn’t answer Zina’s question

Ha! And there I was, thinking Bodhran Bliss was just having a bit of a laugth.
Clearly some of the respondents take his message very seriously. Can’t they just be happy feeling superior by virtue of not being bodhran players 🙂

Posted by .

laugh !!!!!!!!

Posted by .

Plenty of people enjoy lots of things without understanding them. And, of course, understanding is not black and white. I’m not suggesting you go to bed one night without an understanding and wake up the next enlightened. You have to work at it and it comes gradually.

And I’m not even saying that playing the bodhran precludes you from understanding diddley music. Though it’s much harder. Imagine having all those melodies in your head and not being able to express them melodically?

But what gets my goat is pure unadulterated ignorance. Fancy asuming that we play for adulation? Fancy asuming that the music on a drum is as valid as the melody. Fancy asuming that jealousy can ever ever have anything to do with music.

Posted .

Pure unadulterated ignorance vs pure unadulterated jealousy. You guys are starting to sound alike in opposite directions.
Bliss: so what about these snooker conspiracies? Do I need a short tutorial on Norn Ireland politics?

I love to hear a good Bodhran player like everyone…there are tunes and times when a bodhran does not fit in…good bodhran players know this and know when to place the right percussion and when not….I believe that there is a significant point here…The fact that this is often a hot topic indicates that there are valid concerns regarding the use and overuse of the Bodhran…and the lack of common sense when sitting in a session…..

An example of this….I sat in with a session about six months ago…a great tune came around that I love but don’t yet play on the fiddle, I happen to have a Bodhran with me that evening, (I play proficiently well enough to maintain a beat and fills without throwing everyone off) just then two bodhran on the otherside of the table appeared…and then started a race to the finish….I could hear the clash and a jittery feeling came over me (a feeling that would make coffee nervous) I couldn’t bear the sound so I put down the old goat and let them hash it out…it ruined the tune for me and others around the table…but the dueling pair still think that they made great music!

At last someone with sense. Beg F take a bow. "Why can’t you accept that some people do not like bodhrans". That is the whole point of this thread. I want to know why. M.G once said he couldn’t possibly understand why anyone wanted to play such a stupid feckin instrument, before kicking his cat. I admire that, he has a reason, although not very logical. And this from a man who knows absolutely nothing about musicians.

They don’t play for adulation. That’s probably why there are about 6 billion music competitions for classical, ITM and all the rest. Oneupmanship, adulation, call it what you will. That’s why they are falling over themselves to get their sound onto the Mighty Craic. Now I have never entered competitions or gone on the mighty craic, because in a strange way, I don’t need to prove anything and don’t care what the punters think.

Most musicians do. Ever seen Van Morrison in action when they are not listening. Not a pretty sight.

As for am I Gry. The man may well be a musical genius but I have heard him playing bodhran. No I am not Gry.

As for JfiddlerH who asks who would be the judge of "understanding of music". Think about it JFH, is there not an obvious candidate, if he is not too busy having an esoteric, sacred experience playing the viola.

Tim Fiddler, that’s musicians playing for adulation and oneupmanship, although no-one does this. Apart from half a dozen fiddlers at any given session, any given night, any given place.

Nearly forgot, M.G. I can play all those tunes on a harmonica, but being a purist, I don’t think the harmonica is a real traditional instrument.

Welcome back to the discussion BB.

"That’s why they are falling over themselves to get their sound onto the Mighty Craic"

…Slag it off all you like - but the offer is there and was presented - put your money where your mouth is, or else stop shoutin your mouth off ; )

You like the Bodhrán - others dont - mainly M.G. - so what?

You certainly aren’t going to convince any one to like the instrument by the things you have written here, so what is your whole point? - surely you like it cause you like playing it? - why do you have to justify that to a bunch of people you’ve never met?

i suggest you go off and play instead of wasting your time and others time here - you aren’t going to getthe answer you want. Or maybe go to the tunes section and download some more to learn for your repetoire…

The Dubs were always jealous of us, so that explains the above.

You are right - sh*t. got me.

Good point BB - good point.

Well well, a single post can lead to a lot of different comments…….

But please read bliss’ original message, haven’t you noticed: in comparison between Jimy Hendrix and John Williams the latter "is the guitar player of the two".

Couldn’t agree less.

Bart

Posted by .

the only thing I would like to ask is about all those people talking about precussion/precussionists not being music/musicians. I understand that in Irish music the role of precussion is less than in some other musical traditions, but saying those things is, pardon for the expression, is plain rubbish. Rhythm is as important a part of music as melody, if not more important. Precussion is an important part of the sound. As proof one can present the fact of the enormous difference between a piece being played with or without supporting precussion. Next thing you know people will start saying that backing instrumentalists "hang out" with musicians. Which would be ridiculous especially considering the immense professionalism of backers in Irish music.
The bodhran has a negative stigma, and God knows I understand why, knowing some perfectly awful bodhran players who are about as aware of their awfulness as a brick would be. On the other hand, those of the aforesaid who also play other instruments are just as self-critical on any instrument they play, or indeed in any pursuit they undertake. The bodhran, seemingly easy to play simply attracts these unfortunate types.
It’s not jealousy, but the lack of appreciation of a fellow musician’s talent can only be a sorry combination of ignorance and stubbornness. By the way, I play the whistle - a melodic instrument - and used to be one of the awful bodhran players until I figured out that I’m not helping anyone with my bashing.

Sorry for being rather warm. It’s just that I’m tired of snobbery and the rest of those lovely virtues of those who bash for a living.

~Marc.

The easiest guitar is the runs on an electric, same as the blues harp, there are only so many you can do. After that it is all pedals and sound boxes. I must admit I have not listened to popular or rock music since I heard Jimi do the American anthem. Talk about bodhrans making a racket. But that is just my opinion, the man was a great musician.

Classical guitar, well, lazy people play classical piano.

In a not so strange and not so roundabout way I can find myself
agreeing with a lot of what BB has to say but not for the same reasons. I would doubt that the Bodhran was ever a war drum
as such, it would have needed to be much bigger and certainly louder. 40 years ago in a pub in West Clare I heard a 97 year old fiddler play the Bodhran with his hand extremely loudly and when he had finished the set I asked him why, he told me that
as he didn’t drink he always turned up to play for a dance on time whereas the other musicians stayed in the pub and were normally up to 2 hours late. So he played the drum loudly and lilted all the tunes at the same time until the others turned up. In a reasonably big hall it was necessary. But that was in the days when nearly all music was played for dancing, nowadays it’s become listening music which puts a new slant on the whole thing. There has, in my opinion, to be a certain amount of integrity and certainly a lot of respect for the people playing around you. In the end I think it boils down to taste on the part of the percussionist. We’ve just finished a long weekend of gigs without the Bodhran but there were certainly times when it would have added a little extra to the variety. We’ve used one in most groups I’ve played with so personnally I can’t knock it.
It would be nice to hear BB playing sometime because without that it is not possible to form an opinion……………………

What if they had a session and only bodhrans came?

Once upon a time, 12 flute players showed up to a session. No one else came. They wanted to perfect tuning for the songs. So the session leader flute player shot the other eleven. 😉 Tooo-Shay!

What does my playing have to do with anything? Is your curiosity aroused. As the gentleman Ian Stevenson said, if you forget about wind ups, and bodhran paranoia, there actually is a lot of truth in the thread.

Now unless you are a monk or see ITM as some sacred tradition, for masons only, to be worshipped with a set of rules, then all musicians like a bit of adulation, whether deserved or not, even if it is only a smile from the nice looking girl/boy sitting opposite. Anyone normal in other words.

I know there are mediocre instrument playing sheep who once heard someone similar deride the bodhran, and they think by doing so they are getting in with the in crowd. And most normal musicians would feel something if they were playing soul moving stuff, and the crowd were only interested in a poor bodhran player.

Oh, when it comes to tradition by the way, which instument do you think was invented first, the bodhran or the fiddle?

But what would I know. I know nothing about Irish music, despite having the advantages of being born in Ireland, immersed in Irish music because my younger years coincided with the coming of the Dubliners and the Chieftains, going to the Ard Scoil and the Gaeltacht from age 11, travelling all round Ireland to fleadhs before they became popular (anyone remember Clones) before moving to Manchester and meeting wonderful English, Scottish and Irish musicians.

Just imagine, if I had stayed in Manchester you may not have heard of John Joe. In my day Vinnie was king bodhran in Manchester.

Now are you unadulterated jealous b’stards going to admit I am right?

I knew you didn’t have the will power to stay off this thread Jack.

Incidently a flute player of my acquintance once went to Cork and came back raving about this man who could play the "Mason’s Apron" on a bodhran without any other music, and asked me what I thought of that, in an atempt to make me, moi, the Blissful one, jealous.

I said "Why would anyone want to".

Unadulterated b’stards? I think that’s an oxymoron, isn’t it?

Posted by .

Though maybe I’m getting my sins mixed up.

Posted by .

By the way, bliss, can you represent banjo playing as well, or is that some kind of conflict of interest? Maybe we could set up a jealousy-type thread about banjos, and you could act as learned counsel?

Posted by .

I learnt the bodhran playing with Sully in Manchester, Dermie Diamond in Belfast (now fiddle) and when I came back here I played with a genius called Maguire. All brilliant banjo players. Gerry McCartney from Belfast, banjo-mandolin (full size) was one of my early session heroes, and given my age, Barney McKenna of the Dubliners was an early hero.

We still have a banjo player in our group. Don’t know if he is any good, he claims to be in charge of the ambiance section and spends all night talking.

A banjo enhances ITM, gives it a lift, which ofcourse can be complimented by a good bodhran player.

I owe a debt to good banjo players, so yes Grego, bring them all on. Fiddle players especially are jealous of the banjo because, you’ve guessed it, the punters love a good banjo. Yeeeeeeeooooooowwwwww.

The topic canceled itself out in your point #2 — the rest of this thread is just taking the p*ss… s’fun Why would I not stay for a laugh?

So true Jack. I cannot for the life of me work out why people are getting het up about such an *obvious* windup.
And Michael Gill and Dow on the same side of the fence? ??hup -think I just saw a pig fly by. Absolutely unbelievable!

Posted by .

"…people are getting het up about such an *obvious* windup."

There is method behind BB’s madness.

KFG

Posted by .

I think its hilarious that Dow and MG are on the same side about this thread, when the thing that used to annoy MG the most was when Dow deliberatly started windup threads.

Posted by .

LOL — beebs, are you going to give Mark a reason to be glad to see you go, at this rate? *smirk*

Just trying to make it easier for him ;)

Posted by .

Awwwww

I think the "method to his madness" (see KFG above) is to see how many responses he can get on a thread.

Wow
I left this thread yesterday thinking it had pretty much unravelled only to come back today and find it still wriggling and squirming - refusing to die.
Must be something incredibly alluring about the two words Adultery and Jealousy. Strange that the title doesn’t mention the word B*****n.

Everyone loves a scandal! 😛

I agree with MG about a lot of things actually. Y’know what Bliss, I think I *am* jealous of you. I’m jealous because you write really good troll posts. But let me tell you, you wouldn’t last long in bb’s session!

Never mind about Dow, Bliss — he’s just upset because bb’s going away. He thinks bb might be going to your session while she’s over there even — he’s beside himself with jealousy. You might adulterate his session partner if you know what I mean.

Is Beebs calling in at your session, Jack? If so I’ll pay her good money to make sure she ruins it for you on the night 🙂

At least no one has suggested that you have to be Irish to play the bodhran well! 🙂

Having just re-read one of BB’s posts, Yes I remember Clones.
The memory that still lingers is of a piper almost paralytic standing up in the middle of a street playing reels, I can’t think of another occasion where that happened. He never missed a note or the rhythm…….incredible.

Bodhran Bliss: "Oh, when it comes to tradition by the way, which instrument do you think was invented first, the bodhran or the fiddle?"

Well, percution instruments are obviously the oldest, that means that you don’t need to be very intelligent to make and play one. Even the monkeys could do it!

The important wods here are "Which *instrument*". As the bodhran cannot really be described as a musical instrumnet, you have to agree that the fiddle was the first *instrument*. 🙂

In the term "musical instrument", the word "musical" is wrong I think as opposed to "instrument"

Posted by .

You’re right. So is my spelling, you’ll have noticed. 🙂

I saw that but didn’t like to say a wod.

My lips are seals.

Arf arf !

Posted by .

LOL — have we ever figured out if BegF is male or female? God, I hope to hell BegF’s a male. ;)

Hey, beebs, Conan and I have been talking about a Bay Area trip (San Francisco Bay, I mean). You should come out with him next time and we’ll go scare Jack and his crew.

I know this is a wind up… and I’ve been laughing at this thread for a few days now, but I think I detect some conviction in Bliss’s tone (maybe not). Anyway, Bliss: I don’t think anybody would be jeleous of a bohdran player, but reading peoples comments about bohdrans at this web site, I’d have to say that a least a few people despise the bohdran (for whatever reason, probably inexperienced bohdran players thinking they’re master bohdraneers showing up at their sesions and causing a racket). Personally, I like the bohdran.

Bliss has made the understandably modest mistake of not realizing that people aren’t jealous of the bodhran at all. They’re just jealous of his good looks, native intelligence, sterling character, and sense of humor.

*smirk*

Et tu Zina? I thought you had abandoned me to a fate of being forever insulted and baited on this site.

So what have I achieved. Dow and M.G are bosom pals, I must tackle the Middle east next, and M.Gs pet yes man John J is disagreeing with them. Even M.G calls the bodhran an instrument. So John J exposes his jeasousy for all to see by getting embroiled in a purile argument about fiddles and bodhrans. This is the type of thing the thread is all about.

As for Troll posts Dow, well a female friend of mine affectionately calls me "The Twisted Pixie" so I suppose you got that right. Satire allegedly died when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, but some of us do our best.

I realise that I have tried to educate you all, as the Irish once educated Europe, failing in England, but I fear I have tried in vain. Last night I cut my ear off, and tonight I contemplate ending it all.

Farewell cruel site.

Yes, well, Bliss, dear, you live by the sword, you die by the sword. ;)

Zina, never Kid a kidder. Die by the sword? With this lot.

But the use of the words "Bliss, dear" have given me hope aned I have abandoned my cunning plan to end it all. The loss of an ear is no bother, when asked if you want a drink you can always say "I’ve one ear".

So you can all thank Zina for saving me, and look forward to many invigorating threads for years to come.

What tune do you think they could have played at my funeral?

"Farewell cruel site"

Isn’t there a * in s*ite?

Posted by .

Michael Gill’s "Yes man"? You haven’t read all our posts over the last couple of years. 🙂
He’s certainly not always thanked me for me comments. Expressions like "Baloney", "What a load of sh*te" etc come to mind. 😉

Nice to see this useless thread is still hangin’ on..

by the way…

An old fiddler thought he’d sit out a set as a bodhran sessioner bombarded through the "Maids of Sligo", then the "Battering Ram", "Maudabawn Chapel", an onslaught of Kerry Polkas,…

and on and on for what seemed like days…

When all of a sudden the angel Gabriel was standing in front of him and he said,

"Fear not Paddy, I am an Angel from God, who has sent me on his behalf…it appears that you had died sometime in your sleep three days ago…your ghost wondered off to this session at the "Gates of Hell Pub"….we noticed you wonder off right away but even Saint Patrick himself couldn’t force himself to enter the session with the boudhran from hell…Come with me quickly as another bodhran entered the pub as I came in."

hehehehe — Greg, you crack me up.

"Cunning plan" — wasn’t that Black Adder?

Johnny J, don’t forget "it’s nice to be nice" along with that. 🙂

Of course the bodhran is an instrument.

An Instrument of torture!

Ho ho ho, ha ha , can’t stop laughing, Wherever did you get such originality McGregor? That’s a cracker.

Is "cunning plan" Baldr…I mean "Black Adder". What’s that.

It wasn’t the yesman crack that got to John J. Zina. It was someone pointing out how purile it was arguing about bodhrans and fiddles. The bodhran is the noblest of instruments, and monkeys by the way are smarter than men. I mean they didn’t invent the bodhran.

Well Zina, I owe it all to you, until I meet bb, just out of curiosity like, as we have the same initials, nothing untoward or caddish you understand.

By the way Dow, are you from Northumberland by any chance. I used to know a few good guitarists/ singers from there, and the odd piper. Very odd.

Well, beebs and I are going to both be at the Catskills in July, then going to NYC for a few days after. They’ll never know what hit ‘em. 🙂

Good to know you have a sense of humor Bodhran Bliss.
All this is just a bit of a laugh really.

Moi, a sense of humour. (Brit spelling) To coin a favourite Norn Ireland expression, "never".

Dow- "But let me tell you, you wouldn’t last long in bb’s session!"
I cant beleive you just said that. Giving the lads the impression that I am a bodhran nazi -when everyone knows that I amnt and that I have been defeding the old goat bashers for many years!

Zeens - I am *totally* up for a trip to the bay area (wherever the hell that is) to annoy Jack - its actually on my list of ‘10 things to do before I die’.

And Bliss, I look forward to meeting up with the person (ie you) who stole my name on this site🙂

Posted by .

I hope that is not pure unadulterated jealousy.

K, beebs, start saving up, then. You can stay with me at my sister’s house in San Jose, which is where I think Conan’s relative lives, or somewhere near there. Although I hope you’re not terribly disappointed. Though he comes off as a total session Nazi online, Jack is actually fairly difficult to annoy at an actual session. Although people have managed it twice in the times I’ve been there. 🙂

Jack the Ripper eh. But then I would be ok, I am the least annoying person imaginable.

I’m not annoying at sessions, Conan can vouch for that and so can Dow - actually I’m quite shy and timid (I know, I know - hard to believe right). Its after the sessions I become annoying - when I actually have time to talk🙂

Bliss - how can I be jealous sweetie? *You* stole *my* name….its obviously you who is jealous!

Sounds good about San Jose Zeens - when exactly is this being planned for. Jack - why dont you come to the catskills in July as well?

Posted by .

By the way bb, I forgot to mention, I can believe Dow wrote that.

"Though he comes off as a total session Nazi online" - Zina

I come off as a "session Nazi" on line???!!! Excuse me! All I’ve ever done is advocate good manners and common sense at sessions… when did Nazis every use either of those attributes anywhere?

Anyway, it would be a pleasure to have you grace us with your presence at a local session beebs. Just don’t let Zina bring any swastikas with her. Bliss is welcome as well, as long as he doesn’t start with his concepts of how jealous we all should be of him. And it would be great to see Conan as well. Looking forward. 😀

So Jack - spose that means you arent coming to the catskills?

Posted by .

Beebs I’ll give you $400 to mess up Jack’s session.

If you pour beer into his anglo I’ll come to your leaving party.

Dow - I wont be seeing jack this time (sniff….) Anyhow - I know for a fact that you cant pay me 400 bucks!
Anyhow - I’d never do that to Jack - Bliss maybe…but not jack 🙂

Posted by .

Bliss plays concertina? 😲

Its really just pure, unadulterated impertinence, joviality, sarcasm, and witty rapartee. I’m really enjoying this thread. Will you all come to Olympia for some tunes? You can stay with us. Pleeeease???? 🙂

Will you pay me $400 bucks to stay away?

KFG

Posted by .

psssst… hey beebs… tell Dow you’ll mess up my session and use the money to add SF to your itinerary. We’ll have some tunes 🙂

Yeah Beebs that’s actually a fantastic idea! If you can wait till next month for the $400…

Heh - its not the money thats the problem Jack its the time. I literally have no time in the US, next time I promise!

Posted by .

That’s funny, I haven’t got any time in the US either. 😏

Re: It’s just pure, unadulterated P.A. jealousy.

Jealousy, nothing else, just jealousy. That’s why the piano accordion is not liked.

Albeit jealousy on a number of levels.

1.Punters love the piano accordion, and it must be annoying for the best piper who ever lived to be playing his/her soul out, and the punters are all round a great piano accordion player, saying "that’s great". This causes jealousy. But you need to get over it. I mean punters love Jimi Hendrix, but John Williams is the guitar player of the two, and isn’t unduly worried about public perception.

2.You do need to read dots, ABC and music, you do have to know the tune to play the piano accordion. This causes jealousy, especially from others struggling on other instruments, who would love to be able to join in, and assume the piano accordion is easy to play.

3.Jealousy when "purists" meet a good player, and realise that the piano accordion doesn’t just provide a beat, it is the heart beat of ITM. That’s why discerning punters also like the piano accordion.

4.And finally jealousy because even above average players get to join in, until someone with sense tells them where to get off.

5. Good piano accordion players can play in all keys - further jelousy.

All jealousy. No thought given to the fact that the exceptional player may not know the notes, but knows the set of tunes, thousands of them, and is then able to adapt his/her playing to that set.

No thought given to the fact that the piano accordion is not as easy to play as it looks. Have you ever wondered why there are few good piano accordion players, yet all fiddlers appear to be acceptable? The piano accordion obviously can’t be that easy to play.

Your sole defence is that there are a lot of good piano accordion players about, and if the heart beat is sick, well the whole body dies. And that is the last source of jealousy. The realisation that the piano accordion controls all. Well, it would make you jealous if you were one of the hierarchy.

I defy anyone, who has looked into their soul, to say that any of the above is not true.

;->

The Mighty awaits you too, Geoff!!

Jim

Re: It’s just pure, unadulterated jealousy -brussels sprouts

It’s just pure, unadulterated brussels sprouts jealousy.
Jealousy, nothing else, just jealousy. That’s why the brussels sprouts are not liked.

Posted by .

Perhaps Bliss and Geoff (and GRY) should have an all new page to themselves call The Mightiest Craic …?

What’s wrong with brussell sprouts? - I’ve never had a session ruined by one yet.

Geoff. This logic is typical of ignorance. And I mean ignorance in a very straightforward manner. Ignorant of the music. You are ignorant of the tunes and yet you assume that those who are not ignorant of the tunes are jealous of you.

Next topic please.

bb, you couldn’t ruin our session, I did that years ago, or did you forget that I have a bodhran?

Everyone plays the concertina Jack. Identical to the harmonica, remember.

"Next topic please" - Blisster

😀 hahahahahaha

I knew this guy who played the Bodhran…he smelled just like Brussel Sprouts.

he ruined everything.

Brussel Sprout is rhyming sland in Norn Ireland. Doesn’t apply to me.