Humble abject apologies

Humble abject apologies

I didn’t realise, when I posted the tune “Aherne’s Egg” and asked for technical advice on it’s mode, that a little joke on the side about anoraks would yield a discussion with (so far) 68 contributions, and a further tune being submitted to the Tunes section entitled “The Modal Anorak”.

I fear that poor Jack Gilder may feel aggrieved as a result of my insensitive humour, and I therefore extend to him a humble grovelling apology for any offence caused. My sense of humour can occasionally get me into embarassing trouble.

Are there others of you out there who have made an innocent wisecrack at a session, only to find a sensitive soul in the corner with a flute has burst into tears, and you’ve left your Kleenex at home?

Re: Humble abject apologies

Arrgh! I’ve just tried to play “The Modal Anorak” and have burst into tears. It’s such a cruel joke. Has anyone got a Kleenex please?

Dont worry about it pete, the problem with this forum is that you cant see facial expressions when you`re talking to some one. Done it myself on occassion.
Any way Jack seems like a nice man and not one to hold a grudge….

best wisecrack i made was to tell a flute player we should breakdown a tune, n name it after him- “O’Connors Breakdown”-only to discover the guy had actually had a breakdown sometime earlier.
other one was just before breaking into what was called a “cheesy set”(Boys of Bluehill/Harvest Home)asking the (vegan) guitarist, “whats your favourite type of cheese?”.oops.

we all out our foot in it sometimes,its a fact of life-and i agree with wreckin’rea- jack seems a nice enough fellow to take a joke!(just dont quote me if he takes it the wrong way!);)

Good god, Pete, might as well apologize for the whole concept of “slagging”.

Anyway, with my runaway mouth, I run into that all the time. If anyone thinks I’m bad now, they should have met me when I was 18. Heavens, I can barely bring myself to think about it.

Jack’s a good egg. He can take more slagging than anyone I know, actually, as well as give out. I suppose that’s pure self-defense when you play a place like The Plough every week!

I stopped half way through a set of reels the other day and screemed at the bodhran player, “FOR CHRIST SAKE, SHUT UP”. She really was playing terribly badly and very very loudly.

“Nothing wrog with that”, I hear you say. “She deserved it”

Well, she did actually. It was a terrible racket. Everyone was having to get their timing from looking at peoples feet. It was that bad.

Now befor you get the idea that that’s what I’m like, I’ll have to say that that’s the only time I’ve ever done anything like that.
I’m usually very subtle, and tell people quietly in between sets.

But the problem was, and it’s a big problem, and I really did feel like a complete twit, was that the lady I told to shut up is 86 years old and has been going to this session for 35 years. I’ve only been going a meer 15. I’ve known her for 15 years.

What can I say. Humble abject apologies. I just snapped. There was no excuse

Posted .

Hey, I typed “twit” there and it came out “twit”

Posted .

It did it again, you clever bastard Jeremy

Posted .

Why did bastard come out?

Posted .

You see it totally changes the sentence. I said I was a “t w a t” (ryming with fat). I didn’t say I was a twit. Twit is completely the wrong end of the stick

Posted .

Michael, please say this is a windup. Please?

Posted by .

LOL – Michael, you’re going to get a note now, and it was all because you trusted Jeremy’s filters…

I mean about the 86-year old. T w a t and twit is a fine distinction in this particular case.

Posted by .

Hey, he said there was no excuse, Greg. *grin* Personally, I think this whole thread is hilarious…

Was that A….. who sometimes plays “the shells”? Isn’t she a nice old soul, Michael?

We know of whom we speak. And She is lovely. (and I stood on that queen scallop ages ago)

Posted .

You need to relax, and stop getting wound up. At least you didn’t “kick her head in” as I believe you said on another thread that this was your favourite way of dealing with this type of situation.

Don’t try it with me in July. I am only 85.

Hey Pete, no need to appologize, I was having fun with it actually. Sorry if it looked like I had hurt feelings. I heard that term “anorak” a couple of times when I was in Ennis last November and wondered about it. Your comment gave me a good opening, and I started a topic on it. Then I Googled it and found what I needed to know anyway – but I already had started the thread so it was too late to stop. I kept hoping to see you show up on that thread and get in on the slag-fest. I was very surprised to find this thread, and thanks for the sentiments, but no worries. Come to think of it, this sort of thread is what an anorak would start… am I not right?

yes.

Is this the place to confess that I OWN an anorak?????

Michael. I think I met that same lady last summer, not only is she quite old but also quite small - and very sweet.
It’s quite big of you to own up to that I must say.

Posted by .

How forgiving you all are of a man who frowns upon beating drums, but beats old ladies instead.

Over here, life is cheap, but I expected more from the rest of you.

I am deeply shocked.

Of course I gave my humble and abject apologies to her. I was out of order

Posted .

Yeah, but he didnt have to yell at her? I’m all for telling people to cop on with regards to playing tunes. But even I would never yell at an 86 year old no matter what they were doing.

Posted by .

I yelled at an 86 year old once – he couldn’t hear me otherwise.

So you guys have met my mom then.

No, I dont think that you should put up with a terrible player because of their age….but as I said before - I just couldnt bring myself to say stuff to the really old people. I know, I know, lame and very hypocritical! Maybe MG or Div could come to my session and do the hard work for me🙂

Posted by .

It’s not just the age, though maybe that would be enough, it’s the fact that she’s been around making the same god awful racked for 35 years. And the fact that she is a really sweet old bird.

Should she be tolerated? No.
Is there anything at all anyone anywhere can do about it? No

It’s just one of those things. You just have to accept it and get on with your tune. You have to cut old people some slack. I’m not defending it, it’s just the way it is. Be sanguine.

I know what I’m saying doesn’t make any sense, because there is no one I despise more in the diddley world that the perpetual beginnner. I hate them, I have no time for them. They are the proof that some people just don’t play music with their ears. They are the irritating misfits who turn up because they have no freinds. They are the itching powder down the spine of this music.

But two questions arise, for which I have no answer to either.
When does a beginner become a perpetual beginner?
And when do they get so old you cut them some slack?

Posted .

A beginner becomes a perpetual beginner right from the start,
If they have that attitude they have it from day one, otherwise they’re improvers.

Everyone should be cut *some* slack.

Posted by .

Though I like that, BegF, I do think that there are beginners, and there are beginners. I have a problem with the demonification of harmless words. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with being a beginner. Perhaps there is with being a beginner who doesn’t ever learn. If we define “perpetual beginner” (which right now I feel could be applied to me, I’ve been playing like crap for two weeks) as a negative thing, will that rub off on the word “beginner”? Because everyone has to start somewhere, and that’s usually at the beginning.

That’s what I was trying to say.
We all start somewhere,so a beginner is also an improver, and the new blood should always be welcome,
it’s great to see.
Unless they’re of the mindset that couldn’t bother their arse.
Doesn’t matter how much you improve, I think if you see someone trying they should always be cut some slack,
but it’s hard to forgive the happy go lucky attidue of “ah shure we’re all here for the crack” - grand if it’s a chat by the
bar, but irritating otherwise. Still I’m not filled with hatred for them or anything liek that (as indicated in an earlier post).

Jaysus though, if you heard ME play you might wack your fiddle over my head.

Posted by .

Jim’s a master of the South Dublin cursing fiddle style. I think I still have an example on my answering machine. When I met him in Dublin he didn’t show off with that style at all – very humble. But it might have been because he only played the flute while I was there.

Is South Dublin cursing fiddle style like a cursing lilt while playing fiddle? We might be getting close to the invention Irish Traditional Rap. You would need big subwoofers though.

Hey given that they are “abject” apologies, does that mean that
they’re not real apologies at all ?

Posted by .