Yet another mystery CD…River Reel (Laserlight label)

Yet another mystery CD…River Reel (Laserlight label)

Since my dives in the bargain bins of amazon have been pulling up gems like "Irish Jigs and Reels" (Laserlight) that have no credits on them whatsoever and which members identified for me as early tracks by Cran, I’ve been fishing again and hauled in a bargain under 5 bucks US, so you know that’s cheap .

Dioes anyone know who is playing fiddle on "River Reel" Laserlight 2I II4, a Riverdance exploitation cd, I’d guess? Sounds oh so familiar , but I can’t place it. Shame me and tell me who it is, please.

If it’s in a prev discussion thread, I couldn’t hit a a search string that found it.

Re: Yet another mystery CD…River Reel tunes

If the sets would offer a clue:
01.- Rights of Man Selection
02.- Reel Medley: The Banks of the Uilleann / The Scartaglen Reel
03.- Cooley’s Waltzes
04.- Reel Medley : The Ships a Sailing / Greig’s Pipes / The Dublin Reel
05.- Jig Medley: When Sick, Is It Tea You Want? / Apples in Winter / Daniel O’ Connell
06.- Reel Medley : Last Night’s Fun / Toss the Feathers / Farrell O’ Gara
07.- Polka Medley : Dave Hennesseye’s Jig / Brendan Begley’s Favorite
08.- Reel Medley : Trip to Durrow / A Cup of Tea
09.- Jig Medley: Jackson’s Jig / Joe Ryan’s
10.- Queen of the Fair Selection
11.- Crowley’s 1+2
12.- Munster Buttermilk Selection

Re: Yet another mystery CD…River Reel (Laserlight label)

Nothing to do with "Riverdance", apart from cashing in on the name. Not entirley necessary when you consider the players are Brendan Begley [ accordion ], Kevin Glackin [ fiddle ], and a rare outing by piper Mick O’Brien on flute. Can’t remember who played piano. A great recording of standard session tunes. I bought several copies of this tape and CD and gave them to various musicians who were in the process of building up an Irish session repertoire.

Posted by .

thanks for posting the info, kenny. i’d picked up a copy of this CD for a few dollars a month or so at the local goodwill store. i could tell that the players were good, but other than guessing at begley, i had no idea who i was listening to.

sarah (in portland)

Well, Kenny, I didn’t say what I meant which was it titled River Reel to cash in on the River Dance craze in the US. since there was nothing about the tunelist to suggest rivers.

But River Reel that I am referring to features a solo violin on all tracks., so we must be talking about a different mystery cd, unless you are referring to the other mystery I posted a week ro two ago, "Irish Jigs and Reels" on the same label. (see prev thread, search on "mystery cd". )

Irish JIgs and Reels has early, pre-Glackin tracks by Cran. the clues provided by members and this paragraph on the www.cranmusic.com leads me to conclude that Irish Jigs and Reels is "The Crooked Stair," due for rerelease in 2005 "pending litigation (!!!) which means the players aer Sean, Desi and Neil Martin (uilleann pipes and cello, and most likely fiddle, but the strong resemblance between the barndance in the set erroneously titled "Terry Teehans" (which is actually Terry Teehans/Slow Barndance (based on the "Slow Barndance" tune on BBC.

Cran discography::

The Crooked Stair (Cross Border Media CBM 002, 1993)
Black Black Black (Claddagh CC63CD, 1998)
Lover’s Ghost (Black Rose Records BRRCD003, 2000)-Kevin Glackin joins them here
Music from the Edge of the World (Black Rose Records BRRCD004, 2002)-(Glackin still here)

BOTTOM LINE - RIVER REEL still a mystery but well worth having if you are into solo fiddle.

IRISH JIGS AND REELS- a STEAL - and I did mean what I said.

"River Reel" is no mystery - it’s the CD and tape I once had, and still have on mini-disc, the CD "eleyne" has, and the CD which "Ceol Cairdeas" provides a link to. I can well believe that there are more than 1 CD with the title "River Reel". What I will not believe is that there are 2 recordings of the same name made by different musicians with exactly the same track listings as you provide above.
You do not provide us with much information in your profile, "ratbag99". Do you know enough about Irish traditional music to be able to say that these are the tunes which your unidentified fiddler is playing on this recording you have?
What I will do is this. If you contact me through this website, I will send you a recording of the "River Reel" CD I had. I can put it on either cassette tape or mini-disc for you. I know it’s the same as the tracks you listed above because it has the same spelling mistake - "The Banks Of Uilleann" should be the "Banks Of Illen". If you will reciprocate, and send me a recording of your "River Reel", by the mystery fiddle player, I will do my best to identify it for you. I don’t think I can say fairer than that.
"Cran’s" recordings have no bearing on this whatsoever.

Posted by .

We were also puzzled about this album on MB… (see http://musicbrainz.org/album/af272969-3a41-41ea-89d7-034bfcf5b73b.html) Using the info on this page I added links to those 3 musicians; does that look ok to you?

Btw, I think most of you would be very valuable contributers on Musicbrainz…

(I’ve used a "bugmenot" login to post this message; if that’s considered improper, please let me know)

—azertus