BABS in Edinburgh: Cancelled

BABS in Edinburgh: Cancelled

The British Association of Bodhrán Sophisticates reluctantly announce that the annual conference planned for Edinburgh on 27 - 30 May has been cancelled.

This follows a series of attacks on bodhrán players in the city, including an unprovoked attack on an 86 year old woman.

Urgent meetings are being held to find an alternative venue, with Baghdad emerging as the early favouirite. BABS will keep members informed.

Bodhran Bliss

President

BABS

Re: BABS in Edinburgh: Cancelled

phew

Posted .

Your wind ups are getting more "windy." Are you saying the 86 year old woman is a bodhran player? Baghdad would be a bad alternative because the locals there would play a bodhran like their traditional frame drums, the deff, mhuzar, and bender. If people there didn’t like bodhran players, they would probably shoot them on the spot. If they intensely disliked a bodhran player, he would get a hug by one of those guys wearing a bomb vest. I think they already have a BABS organization there: Baghdad Association for Bombing Suicide. If a bodhran player were kidnapped and they asked for ransom, there might be offers to pay them for keeping the bodhran player in Baghdad. 😉

Have a lot at the "Humble Apologies" thread. She used to be a bodhran player.

"Baghdad" - that sounds like a tuning a guitarist I knew a number of years back used to use!

Posted by .

Have a lot, have a look instead. There is a strong ITM tradition in Baghdad.

No big deal - the Lambeg drum festival is still to go ahead, though, as planned. It’s from the 28th-31st May, starting in Sandy Bells, then spreading out to more pubs, ending at the Cenotaph.

Jim

"If a bodhran player were kidnapped and they asked for ransom, there might be offers to pay them for keeping the bodhran player in Baghdad." - Michael

Actually, Baghdad is the birthplace of the bodhran. Of course they don’t call it a bodhran there — it’s called a "tar." It’s not played with a stick, but rather with an open hand. Sounds kind of like: DOOM BOP - BOP DOOM - BOP - DOOM BOP - BOP DOOM - BOP

I played one in my band, "The Baghdad Bad Boys."

Bodhran Bliss — didn’t you post a discussion a while back about being memorialized with a huge public works, which would reflect your influence (i.e.; dominance) as a bodhran advocate, champion, and player?

And now this? Are you not shirking your duties as the "Martyr of the Bodhran" by backing out of the conference? Here is your opportunity to stand unbowed in the face of potential harm to yourself and proclaim that the freedom and liberty of bodhran players everywhere is at stake. If you don’t stand up to them in Edinburgh, where will they be next? Belfast?

Your announcement is extremely disappointing to me. Your crediblity as the chief spokesperson for, and protector of the bodhran is seriously damaged. It is a sad day. Perhaps it is time for someone else to step forward to boldly and courageously lead bodhran adherents around the world. Your ability to lead is clearly damaged.

Who will it be?

"eh batter batter batter batter batter batter batter"

Jack: You mean beater, beater, beater? Or tipper, tipper, tipper? DOOM BOP BOP DOOM? Sounds like classic rock and roll vocal harmony.

Well, I got three out of the four and forgot about the tar. I think the Inuit were first with their frame drum as their culture goes back beyond 20,000 years. Anyone that takes over for Bliss would have to know that Michael Gill will have him in the ol’ crique crosshairs. Besides, in leotards, cape and bodhran mounted on his chest for flying around, I think he would be a stunning sight as Bodhran Man, savior of percussion in the world. He probably just needs some rest and some chickensoup. First you bring all of the bodhran players out of the closet and liberate them. If they don’t have your guidance, they will be a noisey rabble. I’m still in favor of a gigantic bodhran with a huge skin stretched across it doubling up as an advertisement for condoms and safe sex. 😉

"DOOM BOP BOP DOOM? Sounds like classic rock and roll vocal harmony." - Michael

Only to the untrained ear. 😎

Bodhrán sophisticates - more oxymorons !! 🙂

tee he

Posted .

I haven’t gone away you know.

Breandan: I wouldn’t want to be a sophisticate anyway. Not much fun. Kind of like the royal family all dressed up to the max all day long for photos, everyday being excruciatingly calm (oops, another oxymoron). Everything set up by the head servant (oops). On the other hand, I practice intense moderation (oops). I’m not like those open minded snobs (oops).

I have considered the above comments, especially the salient points made by John Culhane, and have two options.

On 20th May I could send the SBS (Special Bodhran Squadron) the BSF (Bodhran Special Forces) and Bodhran Seals to Edinburgh to mop up pockets of local resistence prior to the Conference. These forces consist of Eamon Maguire on his own, but that should be enough.

My own preference is to wait for 1 - 3 July. The G8 summit featuring world leaders is to be held in Edinburgh, and there is to be a Make Poverty History demonstration. Some 200.000 demonstraters are due to be in the city. As one of these using my considerable influence I propose that each demonstartor is issued with a bodhran. All 200,000 can meet in Sandy Bell’s for practice on Friday, before proceeding to the demo on Saturday.

More more satisfying.

Sounds like you had a rest and some chicken soup. Wow! 200,000 of anything would be scary. If you wanted everyone in synch for perfect tuning with flute, 199,999 flutists would have to shot (keep Seamus away from the gun). Instruction screamed at the bodhran players would be, "remember to stay in synch with the music!!!" Then 200,000 voices in harmony would scream back, "What fecking music!!!" I can just read the headlines for the practice, "there was seismic activity registered at 3.5 on the richter scale with an epicenter at Sandy Bell’s Pub." 😉

Gleneagles is a way from Edinburgh bb, but no doubt your bunch of 200,000 bodhran b@stards will be able to drown them out from 40miles away, seeing it only takes three to screw up a good session

Posted by .

Hmm, 200,000 crap crusties with bodhrans. seen it all befor

And, Bren. Three??

Posted .

What the hell is a "crap crustie"? Let us hope it it not some slight on the protesters, or I will be in Edinburgh tomorrow, if I can remember where I put my cape.

To show that we are not a threat to anyone, there will only be 50,000 bodhrans at the Saturday session in Sandy Bell’s.

I might even play the pipes.

You really think I’ll be there?

Posted .

Saturday is the wrong night for MG in Bells, BB. So you can convince yourself that he’s not trying to avoid you deliberately. 🙂

Actually, you should get yourself down to Newcastleton Festival that weekend. That’s where I’ll be. There’s some great sessions there and one or two others where you can go with your bodhran. 🙂

Saturday can be a great night in bell’s. But thank christ for Newcastleton on this particular saturday

Posted .

Thanking you John J. Maybe I’ll just play the mandolin, or is there a rule about the number of mandolins allowed.

And dear, sweet M.G. There is no escape from Bliss, whose tentacles are long reaching. Met an old friend at our session on Sunday, Big Jeffrey, and guess where he is living now? Must go and visit some time.

Yes. Minimum ten mandolins to each bodhran, otherwise you can’t hear them.

Posted by .