Sessions in England

Sessions in England

Hello, all …
I’m leaving my comfort zone on the Central Coast of California to attend the Willie Clancy Fest in Miltown Malbay (flute & whistle). Then I’m off to England to visit family in Hartlepool, County Durham, and meet a never-before met brother in Blackheath, London. Does anyone know of sessions around those two locations? I’ll be in Hartlepool from July 20-23, and in Blackheath from July 24 to July 30.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris

Re: Sessions in England

It must be exciting to meet a brother that you have never seen before.

Chris,
You could try this link,

UK Regional Folk and Sessions

Good luck

Posted by .

In the Blackheath area, there’s a good session on a Sunday night at the New Cross Tavern, New Cross Road (on corner with Clifton Rise), London SE14 - turn right out of New Cross station.

I’m more familiar with North London - I’ve posted info on London sessions in previous discussions, which you can find by searching on "London".

I’ve never even been to Hartlepool.

Re: hangin’ round

Yes,that new cross session is a good one.

Watch out for the monkey hangers in hartlepool though…

Errrrr….Dave, what are monkey hangers?

Zina
(Another Lost Yank in London)

Zina, I’m going to the New Cross session I mentioned above this Sunday. Conan’s probably going somewhere else, so we might have to fight for you. He’s a better musician, more charming, more intelligent and better looking. I’m taller.

Monkey hangers, hairy chests…whatever is a poor, ill-educated Yank to do? Between the rhyming slang and the much more extensive history, we’re often lost in the shuffle. In general terms, while it sounds flattering to have men fighting over one’s presence (especially two so handsome), it’s actually more embarassing than anything else, and at any rate one’s husband tends to object to the proceedings; spouses are notorious for having no sense of fun. Hopefully after hearing my fiddle playing, you won’t be fighting to get OUT of my presence. ;)

No, sorry, my apologies, that was misleading, I’m not in London this week. Hopefully sometime soon, though, on our way through to Oz and a promised visit with bb, once bb leaves the chilly summer of Eire for warmer climes. Dunno yet on dates, will keep you updated. It takes us a while to save up the necessary pennies, given that we have to cross the pond either way we go and that comes pricey. Might as well make a full tour of it though, I guess, and duck through London and possibly Paris to visit with friends at the same time. We’ll see what we can manage!

Zina

Dave/Twiz?, thanks for the info on the New Cross session and the site for Northern England music events. Haven’t located one yet, but I only have 4 days up North. I’ll try to be at the New Cross on Sunday, the 28th. of July. I hope to see you all there. What is the playing level? Is it "visitor friendly"?

Conan, thanks for the entertaining site on the "Hanging Monkey of West Hartlepool"! I first heard the story on my maiden voyage to the UK to "find my roots" (in 1973). The story was pretty close to the one told on one told on the web site. The local rugby club (of course) has the hanging monkey on their ties.
Chris

Well as you can see from the compliments above, David is a much better liar than I am! The bit about him being taller is true though.

David, I ended up in the Porterhouse on Sunday afternoon, but made an early night of it rather than go to the Coach and Horses. There’s a new session just started up near Shepherd’s Bush on 88 Masbro Road in a pub called The Bird in Hand, 9-11 pm on Monday nights (tonight) if you’re interested… and anyone else for that matter. The musicians so far are Steve Gara on pipes, Andrea Thingy (f) on concertina, Ivor Something-or-other on fiddle, Andrea Watchamacallhim (m) on guitar, with a wee nod from myself!

Chris, glad you enjoyed the site! We have to be careful though - people from Hartlepool aren’t fond of outsiders referring to them as Monkey Hangers, primate suspenders or any such-like ;

Is the Shepherd’s Bush session every Monday evening? I live in the neighbourhood and would like to drop in some time but can’t make it this evening.

Yes Holly, as far as I can tell it’s been running for some weeks now; I was given a flyer for it yesterday. What do play? I’m sure my friends would be glad to have you along.

Conan

Can anyone add more information? I have the same problem. I’m going to stay in london all the summer and it would be nice to visist all the sessions of celtic music. hope to see you there

I’m a fiddler, but play more Scottish, English, French and Scandinavian tunes than Irish ones at the moment. However, I’ve been wanting to check out some sessions and it’s certainly easier to find regular Irish sessions than any other kind in London! I’ll try to get by the Shepherd’s Bush one in the next couple of weeks and hope to see you there. Thanks a bunch. Holly

Hey, great to hear you play other stuff besides Irish! I play loads of Breton tunes, but don’t really have an outlet for them in London, the same with Scottish tunes. I’ve only fairly recently started listening to Scandinavian music - groups like Hedningarna, Vasen, and Varttina. Annbjorg Lien is really good as well - I love the sound of the hardanger. The only English tunes I know are whatever I’ve got on some Kathryn Tickell tapes so maybe I can pick some up. Well I won’t be at the Shepherd’s Bush session next week (off to the Willie Clancy week) but hopefully we’ll get a few tunes sometime soon. All the best!

Con

For anyone interested in English fiddle music Pete Cooper, Dave Townsend and Chris Wood are doing a workshop the weekend of July 20th at Wigmore Hall in London. I think they will be looking at the music of John Clare and Thomas Hardy in particular. All three are good instructors and it’s always a treat to play in such auspicious surroundings! For more information call Wigmore Hall. Holly