Howdy ya’ll

Howdy ya’ll

I’m a fiddler from central Texas (no I don’t normally say howdy, though I use ya’ll all the time). I’m currently in college studying piano pedagogy, though folk/ITM/old time music is my true love. I’ve played the piano since I was six, fiddle since I was nine, and now also play hammer and mountain dulcimers, and other odds and ends. Anyways, just found the site, love it, and thought I’d say hi!

Re: Howdy ya’ll

Howdy right back! Where I live (North Georgia), folks are more likely to say y’uns than y’all, but there’s only one of you, so I can’t use it here.

That’s the nice thing about ya’ll, it can be singular or plural. I tend to use it both ways. I’ll use ya’ll, or all ya’ll, or ya’ll all. It all works.

Over here in Belfast we say, youse, or youse`uns.
So hello how are youse?

Here in England we just say "you" - meaning anything from one person to hundreds. Sounds very reserved. But we’re nice really!!! Welcome to the session - one of the best forums you’ll find!!

In Ireland they say y’all, too, but they spell it Youghal.

That’s cool, thanks for the welcome!

I live in Jousey (New Jersey). How ya doin?

Posted by .

I’m good thanks, just finished finals and am moving back home tomorrow.

I’m from PA Hi and welcome.
You’ve found the right site for answers, support and just plain fun. I’ve been fiddlin’ for a few years and am currently learning some Blue Grass. LOADS of fun.

Mary

I play bluegrass too, of course I grew up in the south there wasn’t much avoiding it.

Musicfan: the one that gets to me is the possessive form of y’all, " yer’all’s." I suppose that comes from the Yer’all’s Mountains in Russia, and I suppose there must be some in the Southern U.S.

Welcome! I’m in California. So here it might be "Yo! whazzup doooood!" Then, in real life followed by one of those Rap culture’s 4 or 5 step handshakes. Not that I participate much in California Culture. I don’t listen to rap, surf, ski, skateboard or stunt bike. 🙂